Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'09 Manual Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
'09 Manual Transmissions?

I've noticed no one has talked about replacing the M5OD-R2 with a newer more advanced manual transmission....

There has been more talk about 5 or 6 speed slushboxes and no talk of manual transmissions.

Anyone know if there will be a manual transmission mated to the 6.2l BOSS or the 4.4l Turbodiesel? Or both?

I hope Ford doesn't shaft the people who want a light duty stick truck... or guess what? My next truck won't be a F-150... it will be a F-250...

But seriously... does anyone know? I'd love to see a 6 speed manual with a super low 1st on the F150. That would make it a towing BEAST not to mention a super heavy duty friction material if you throw in the 6.2l or the 4.4l.

From my current standpoint the Getrag manual transmission that is used on the Dodge 1500 with the 4.7l V8 with the 6 speed is a pure joke. I heard funky rumors about it. Dunno why they just didn't stick with a NV3500 HD Manual gearbox like on my Dakota... that thing is PROVEN indestructible even by the worst of worst drivers.

Last edited by ManualF150; 06-25-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i do not have a lot of money and when the new trucks come out i would want to get a black reg cab with a 6.2L Boss mated with(hopefully) a 6 speed manual, if i can't get manual then i will settle for(hopefully) a 6 speed auto

when they come out with something that will replace the old lightnings(which i think they will since the Boss is such a huge and powerful engine) i will not have enough money to get it, so i will have to get the truck i mentioned above and make it into something equivalent to the lightning, with the Boss in that reg cab alone i expect it to hit 0-60 in 5.8-6.0 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.8-14.0 seconds, i mean the tundra is nailing 6.2 sec 0-60 times and 14.2 sec 1/4 all with the double cab, i do like the 4.4L and will continue to look into it and see if they come out with a nice tuner for it to make good power gains since you can draw a lot of power out of most diesels, but right now the Boss is winning my vote, and they better have a 6 SPEED MANUAL

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
well i do not have a lot of money and when the new trucks come out i would want to get a black reg cab with a 6.2L Boss mated with(hopefully) a 6 speed manual, if i can't get manual then i will settle for(hopefully) a 6 speed auto

when they come out with something that will replace the old lightnings(which i think they will since the Boss is such a huge and powerful engine) i will not have enough money to get it, so i will have to get the truck i mentioned above and make it into something equivalent to the lightning, with the Boss in that reg cab alone i expect it to hit 0-60 in 5.8-6.0 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.8-14.0 seconds, i mean the tundra is nailing 6.2 sec 0-60 times and 14.2 sec 1/4 all with the double cab, i do like the 4.4L and will continue to look into it and see if they come out with a nice tuner for it to make good power gains since you can draw a lot of power out of most diesels, but right now the Boss is winning my vote, and they better have a 6 SPEED MANUAL

what makes u really think ford is gonna put a 6.2L "boss" in the f150..

Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by weazel
Well it would be nice.

However, I want the diesel to be mated with a good manual transmission. I'm sick and tired of seeing the high end engines only with an automatic transmission slushbox. Don't make no sense.

If you want my opinion, the way Ford and the rest of these auto manufacturers are controlling the market, they are forcing us free citizens to buy something without choice. I want my manual transmission in my truck with any engine... it's almost like they are putting a label on people that know how to drive stick as being "special"... like we are colored or something. That's how I feel!!!!!!!

No more sitting in the back of the bus type of thing.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Suspended
Don't automatics have higher tow ratings? At least in Rangers and F150s I always thought that was the case...

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lumadar
Don't automatics have higher tow ratings? At least in Rangers and F150s I always thought that was the case...
The reason they don't is because they are not well built. If Ford put about 1/2 as much focus as they do on their slushbox autos, then they would be equal if not better for the Ranger and F150.

Look at the F-Super Duty for example. The manual transmission is equal to the automatic as far as towing capacities. Why? Because they spent time and effort on making it better. That's all.

From a better point of view, I've never had an issue with either of my F150's with the 5 speeds. Towing has never been an issue, nor has been any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky... who knows, really.

Another example is my Dakota, (I know it's not a Ford, but a personal experience always counts) it has a NV3500 mated to a 4.7l V8. Want to know something scary?! That combination has more towing power than a 6.8l V10 with a 6 speed manual. Can the Dakota's frame handle it? No. Now that's a well built truck. When you can surpass what your frame can handle 2 fold in the drivetrain department, then it's a REAL truck. When I can rip my trailer hitch and bumper and half the bed off of my truck, but yet the engine and transmission don't struggle one bit, that is a REAL truck. Why might I say this? Because if it can handle ripping the truck apart, it can handle the daily riggors of driving. Period.

Besides, it's a truck. It's meant for a stick for the working class heroes.

Also as far as maintainance, it is far easier to maintain a manual than an automatic. Less parts, less frictional loss, and nothing like a direct link to the engine instead of letting fluid do all of the movement. I can have my friction plates changed out in my F150 in about 4 to 6 hours by a good transmission shop. Automatic? ha... first you have to diagnose the problem, then you've got to tear the whole thing apart, fix it, put it all back together and hope it works. Not to mention if the automatic tranny is going, you don't know when or where it's gonna crap out on your. Rarely does a manual leave you totally stranded... you have to really abuse the gearbox to do something like that... I mean REALLY abuse it.

Cost? Automatics in general cost 50% more to fix. Manuals are VERY cheap and EASY to fix. Most shops don't even need to be trained transmission experts and fix it right the first time with ease to very little swearing... automatics on the other hand have series of hydrolics, small mechanisms, and a whole slew of valves. It's a total nightmare.

What really gets me is that I was talking to a fellow the other day at my local autoparts store. He's a dedicated truck driver. He told me that he WILL NOT and REFUSES to drive an automatic tractor. He drove one, and it left him and his shipment behind 8 hours and he got blamed for busting it... not to mention it also happened to a few other drivers he has talked to on the road. There are mixed emotions about automatic transmission tractors. He brought me into another point which really surprised me was the fact that GM's automatic transmissions are SEALED! Yes, SEALED! Hahaha... no chance in h*** is the average shop gonna look at that. So you are ********* if you are dire need of service without bringing it to GM. Tell me if that isn't propaganda? It's BS.

I've driven a few automatics, and owned one. NEVER will I EVER own one again. They SUCK.

Go ahead and read this... I know it's not gonna change the world.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by weazel
and what makes you think they won't...

oh wait your Mr. Negative

they better or they will lose a lot in the truck business

Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
double post

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
and what makes you think they won't...

oh wait your Mr. Negative

they better or they will lose a lot in the truck business

I sure hope they do.

The discussion of whether the F150 is going to get the 6.2l BOSS is like the discussion of automatics vs. manuals.

Sad to say, the way America works is by popular vote. People don't realize the quality of driving a stick shift. So of course since driving an automatic is a lot easier, they would rather lose out on the driving fun and experience it in a different way.

When I drive my truck, I have fun doing it. I like feeling like I am a "part" of the truck. I don't feel like I am "working" while I drive. I love it... I've put a lot of miles in on my lifetime and I'm not even old yet... but something about driving a stick is rewarding. Ever since I bought my '07 I can't wait to get out of work to drive home. Seriously.

Reminds me of the whole stuggle between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive. People have argued and ranted, and etc with me over the years. I have never liked front wheel drive. I still don't... I find it not enjoyable either. Almost like an automatic. Infact I hate automatic front wheel drive cars. Seems like a complete waste. I owned 1 front wheel drive car, and I was never able to get used to the front wheels doing all of the work. I learned on rear wheel drive, I know how rear wheel drive reacts, and on and on. It just seems so... I guess, "natural"... not really sure if it is the right word... but it seems close enough. I absolutely love how the F150 handles, rides, feels, etc. Reminds me of how a Grand Marquis or a Crown Victoria rides, feels, and handles. Just something about rear wheel drive and stick can really make a vehicle VERY relaxing and enjoyable to drive.

You are probably wondering why I even asked if the '09 was going to have a manual when I plan on keeping my truck. Well, I am going to keep my '07 forever, and I plan on hopefully, if Ford does make a '09 with a stick with a decent engine, I'll buy that. If not, I will just buy a current model year new F250 diesel with stick..... if they still have it in a stick.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 AM
They might not even offer a manual transmission. The vast majority of F-150s are ordered with auto trannies. Like it or not, manual transmissions are a dying breed.
Nowdays the only people who order trucks with manual trannys are people who are trying to save some money on purchase price or people who are set in their ways and dont trust those "newfanged" automatic trannys (mostly farmers and ranchers).

Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Octane36
people who are set in their ways and dont trust those "newfanged" automatic trannys (mostly farmers and ranchers).
You mean people like me...

Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford or gm don't offer manuals in the V-8 trucks.. they aren't going to again either. I wish they would.. I hate autos... but the edge made mine a lot more fun to drive Nothing like the old trucks with a granny gear.. even modern half tons with a stick don't offer that!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by chris1450
Ford or gm don't offer manuals in the V-8 trucks.. they aren't going to again either. I wish they would.. I hate autos... but the edge made mine a lot more fun to drive Nothing like the old trucks with a granny gear.. even modern half tons with a stick don't offer that!
I agree with you...

All trucks have become a "luxury" item.

I don't think I'd spend $40k on a truck then use it to haul some of crap I do. My '07 has hauled junk that people thought I was nuts hauling in "such a new truck"... and my truck only costs $17k. And I mean that across the board too. I mean that with $40k F250s, F350s, etc. Just stupid to have leather seats, navigation, heated this and that... dual zone climate controls... come on people; it's a FRIGGIN TRUCK!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I agree with you...

All trucks have become a "luxury" item.

I don't think I'd spend $40k on a truck then use it to haul some of crap I do. My '07 has hauled junk that people thought I was nuts hauling in "such a new truck"... and my truck only costs $17k. And I mean that across the board too. I mean that with $40k F250s, F350s, etc. Just stupid to have leather seats, navigation, heated this and that... dual zone climate controls... come on people; it's a FRIGGIN TRUCK!
Just because its a truck, that doesnt mean that comfort and luxury isnt important.
I agree that theres a lot of features that are available on trucks nowdays that I could care less about, but thats why Ford makes XLs.
The fact is that most people nowdays prefer an automatic tranny over a manual. Infact, a lot of people nowdays dont even know how to drive a stick and have aboslutely no desire in learning how.
If you want to look at who to blame for the demise of manual trannys, look in the mirror and look around you. We, the customers, voted with our wallets and told Ford that we prefer an automatic over a manual.
Like it or not, right or wrong, thats reality.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Octane36
Just because its a truck, that doesnt mean that comfort and luxury isnt important.
I agree that theres a lot of features that are available on trucks nowdays that I could care less about, but thats why Ford makes XLs.
The fact is that most people nowdays prefer an automatic tranny over a manual. Infact, a lot of people nowdays dont even know how to drive a stick and have aboslutely no desire in learning how.
If you want to look at who to blame for the demise of manual trannys, look in the mirror and look around you. We, the customers, voted with our wallets and told Ford that we prefer an automatic over a manual.
Like it or not, right or wrong, thats reality.
I do and don't agree with your statement.

I can agree that most people do like automatics... simply because it is hassle free... and the fact that they are too lazy to use their arms and legs to propel their truck. Same thing applies to the "luxury".

What I don't agree on is about your voting aspect. WE the customers DO NOT have a choice between manual or automatic. The only reason the manual didn't sell over well is because it is only offered on the v6. No one wants a v6 F150. Now if it was offered with the 5.4l V8... ohh my gosh... there would be a 50/50 tie right on this forum. No lie.

Infact, I've got statistical proof off of another forum that bases my statement 100% true. So it's not that no one wants it, its the fact that FORD DOESN'T OFFER IT.

Why?! I dunno... wish I could tell you. Infact, I wish I knew why too.

Quick Reply: '09 Manual Transmissions?