2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'09 Manual Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you trying to say if the 5.4L was offered w/a manual that that 50% of 5.4L sales would be manual? Or are you saying that 50% of people on this forum would indicate that they would buy(and to this I say who cares) or what are you saying?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Are you trying to say if the 5.4L was offered w/a manual that that 50% of 5.4L sales would be manual? Or are you saying that 50% of people on this forum would indicate that they would buy(and to this I say who cares) or what are you saying?
Are you trying to say if the 5.4L was offered w/a manual that that 50% of 5.4L sales would be manual?

Yes. Between 40 & 50 percent of the sales would. I was reading on another site that the reason some consumers go for an F250 with the 5.4l V8 with a 6 speed is ONLY because the F150 isn't offered with a manual transmission.

Hell, I was debating that myself before I bought my F150... if I couldn't get a F150 with a stick, for sure I would have gotten a F250 with the stick.

To tell you the truth... as of now I could care less what Ford does with the F150... screw gas engines and automatic transmissions as my next truck is a diesel and a stick and that's the bottom line and it's going to be a F250 or higher.

Ford turned a great truck into a joy-ride for consumers as a "luxury" vehicle. I even see it spawning up in the SD's. What ever happened to the days when you could buy a truck and NOT feel bad about denting it up or beating it to death?!

All of these trucks today are a COMPLETE JOKE.

What's really great is that I've got a friend who has a nice new F350... and he bought a Rascal trailer. You want to know why he bought the trailer? Because he didn't have the ***** to load crap into his bed of his $50k truck. So now you've got a 8' bed that is just a waste of space that he puts NOTHING in. He also said it "Looks cool towing a trailer!" Oh my gosh... yeah and you look like a clown with nothing loaded in your bed that is the size of your friggin trailer. What's even better is the fact that his truck's bed has a higher payload capacity than the trailer he just dumped $10k.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:44 PM
That is absolutly hilarious!!! I don't think it would be 5%. My dealer had not been asked 1x in the past 11 years the 5.4L been available, for a manual tranny.

No offense, were all allowed our opinion, but I think you've allowed your love of the manual tranny to overtake your sense of reason. Infact I don't know if I've ever read a more ridiculous stmt on this site, since I first started to read teh forums back in @ 98.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Are you trying to say if the 5.4L was offered w/a manual that that 50% of 5.4L sales would be manual?

Yes. Between 40 & 50 percent of the sales would. I was reading on another site that the reason some consumers go for an F250 with the 5.4l V8 with a 6 speed is ONLY because the F150 isn't offered with a manual transmission.
If that is the case, then how come 40-50% of super duty sales are not manuals...it is no-where near that number. Users have voted in the past by purchasing automatics way more than manuals, hence the reason Ford (and others) don't offer manuals like they used to.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:06 PM
We have 2 500 cummins mated to allison autos in our class 8 trucks and I could write a book on how much better they are for my company as wear and tear as well as driver uptime and doing away with driver fatigue (sp?) We have on full auto mated to a smallblock cummins and that one is junk but our 500 cummins have the first gear clutch and they are the best thing to come out for a truck in as long as ive been in the business. With the full autos it makes starting off and backing up really tough but the first gear clutch makes everything better as well as allowing more tq from the motor. full autos have a lower tq rating but the 1st clutch allows full power.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by weazel
what makes u really think ford is gonna put a 6.2L "boss" in the f150..

that grill

Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
that grill
yeah i actually like that grill

it looks like it has camo paint on it

Last edited by MrSquirrel; 06-29-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 PM
i only like manual if it contributes to faster shifts and more performance

Old 06-29-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
i only like manual if it contributes to faster shifts and more performance
Oh trust me... if Ford really wanted to throw a little money into it... they CAN make it 20X faster and more efficient than an automatic. It has been scientifically proven, but people still neglect to believe it.

I don't believe what 3/4 I read on here about manual transmissions... like they are too slow, or they suck, too hard to drive, no one knows how to drive a stick, I can't drink my coffee while driving, or yada yada yada... the list goes on.

So all you manual haters... why do Ford GT's, Mustangs, and GT500s come with stick in a V8?

Why?! Cause IT IS WAYYYYY faster than the automatic. Not to mention it saves a lot of gas when just "cruising". IT'S been PROVEN. (Oh, and let's not forget our lovely SRT10 Dodge RAM. Only comes in a STICK! Gee, I wonder why?!)

If you throw a short throw shifter with the right gears, you might as well never look at an automatic in the F150 if you want performance. And let me tell you all something, I know Fords automatics like the back of my friggin hand. They are NO comparison to the German built Mercedes or BMW transmissions... don't care if you've got a SCT, TP Tuner... I don't care... you are NOT going to totally optimize your transmission for true "manual-like" performance. You want to know why?! They are designed in a such a way that they ROB performance, through the Mercon V, internal valve systems, and most of all the torque converter. And don't start telling me about "torque multiplication".... you get torque multiplication out of the gear sets... any automotive dummy knows that. What is better: Having fluid move your truck or a direct link to the engine moving your truck? Hmmmm... fluid slips... a clutch don't. So now you see where I'm coming from?

The only type of automatics that are good are the clutched automatics. Where there is NO torque converter... essentially working like a manual transmission, but a servo motor is controlling the clutch and gear shifts.

Now before you go on telling me that Fords automatics are the best in the world, or that a 5.4l with a manual would lose to a 5.4l automatic then maybe you should drive stick Mustang first, then drive an automatic one, with the same options, just different trannies. Brings me to another point.... Do you think a v6 Mustang will burn out with an automatic or manual? I've tried burning out with the automatic with a SCT performance tuner, no go. Hopped into a STOCK Mustang with a 5 speed, burned out no problem. So what about the torque multiplication in the automat.... before I even finish that sentence, YOU JUST LOST 50 HP / 50 ft/lbs IN YOUR AUTOMATIC. - Plain and simple.

Then I get people that say things like, "Well, the clutch mass takes up a lot of power".... Oh jeez, and your torque converter doesn't eat 1/4 of your engine's power? ha. Please.....

Let me say one last point.

If you really think that Ford automatic is REALLY that good. Especially the one that is in a F150... you should be shot. NEWSFLASH: Ford has NEVER made an efficient automatic transmission. Ford cannot because it will cost the consumers WAY TOO MUCH to even look at a Ford. But guess what? Ford has made the BEST MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS next to BMW, Mercedes and Audi being top picks. Been like that for YEARS. I've never had a dislike on how precisely the shifts are on my truck... on the Mustangs I've driven, BMWs, and many more. I have no complaints. However, on my Dakota, it is WAY less refined... shifts are sticky, sometimes hard to get in, and not really precise. Every single car fanatic that I've ever mentioned to them about Ford making excellent manual transmissions, 9 out of 10 agreed. That's proof enough for me.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Oh trust me... if Ford really wanted to throw a little money into it... they CAN make it 20X faster and more efficient than an automatic. It has been scientifically proven, but people still neglect to believe it.

I don't believe what 3/4 I read on here about manual transmissions... like they are too slow, or they suck, too hard to drive, no one knows how to drive a stick, I can't drink my coffee while driving, or yada yada yada... the list goes on.

So all you manual haters... why do Ford GT's, Mustangs, and GT500s come with stick in a V8?

Why?! Cause IT IS WAYYYYY faster than the automatic. Not to mention it saves a lot of gas when just "cruising". IT'S been PROVEN. (Oh, and let's not forget our lovely SRT10 Dodge RAM. Only comes in a STICK! Gee, I wonder why?!)

If you throw a short throw shifter with the right gears, you might as well never look at an automatic in the F150 if you want performance. And let me tell you all something, I know Fords automatics like the back of my friggin hand. They are NO comparison to the German built Mercedes or BMW transmissions... don't care if you've got a SCT, TP Tuner... I don't care... you are NOT going to totally optimize your transmission for true "manual-like" performance. You want to know why?! They are designed in a such a way that they ROB performance, through the Mercon V, internal valve systems, and most of all the torque converter. And don't start telling me about "torque multiplication".... you get torque multiplication out of the gear sets... any automotive dummy knows that. What is better: Having fluid move your truck or a direct link to the engine moving your truck? Hmmmm... fluid slips... a clutch don't. So now you see where I'm coming from?

The only type of automatics that are good are the clutched automatics. Where there is NO torque converter... essentially working like a manual transmission, but a servo motor is controlling the clutch and gear shifts.

Now before you go on telling me that Fords automatics are the best in the world, or that a 5.4l with a manual would lose to a 5.4l automatic then maybe you should drive stick Mustang first, then drive an automatic one, with the same options, just different trannies. Brings me to another point.... Do you think a v6 Mustang will burn out with an automatic or manual? I've tried burning out with the automatic with a SCT performance tuner, no go. Hopped into a STOCK Mustang with a 5 speed, burned out no problem. So what about the torque multiplication in the automat.... before I even finish that sentence, YOU JUST LOST 50 HP / 50 ft/lbs IN YOUR AUTOMATIC. - Plain and simple.

Then I get people that say things like, "Well, the clutch mass takes up a lot of power".... Oh jeez, and your torque converter doesn't eat 1/4 of your engine's power? ha. Please.....

Let me say one last point.

If you really think that Ford automatic is REALLY that good. Especially the one that is in a F150... you should be shot. NEWSFLASH: Ford has NEVER made an efficient automatic transmission. Ford cannot because it will cost the consumers WAY TOO MUCH to even look at a Ford. But guess what? Ford has made the BEST MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS next to BMW, Mercedes and Audi being top picks. Been like that for YEARS. I've never had a dislike on how precisely the shifts are on my truck... on the Mustangs I've driven, BMWs, and many more. I have no complaints. However, on my Dakota, it is WAY less refined... shifts are sticky, sometimes hard to get in, and not really precise. Every single car fanatic that I've ever mentioned to them about Ford making excellent manual transmissions, 9 out of 10 agreed. That's proof enough for me.
ok i didn't mean to **** you off, i really like manuals and if the new F-150 comes with a manual mated to a big V8 or the rumored 3.5L GTTDI V6 which might replace the proven Essex 4.2L V6 then i will be a happy man

oh and i don't mean to contridict your SRT-10 comment but the double cab version comes in automatic and i see a lot more of them than i do of the reg cab(probably cause i see most of the owners are over the age of 40 and have enough money to afford a 50K+ truck and do not want to mess with a manual)i also do not see much SRT-10s as it is)

Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
ok i didn't mean to **** you off, i really like manuals and if the new F-150 comes with a manual mated to a big V8 or the rumored 3.5L GTTDI V6 which might replace the proven Essex 4.2L V6 then i will be a happy man

oh and i don't mean to contridict your SRT-10 comment but the double cab version comes in automatic and i see a lot more of them than i do of the reg cab(probably cause i see most of the owners are over the age of 40 and have enough money to afford a 50K+ truck and do not want to mess with a manual)i also do not see much SRT-10s as it is)
Naa you didn't **** me off any bit. I was stating it towards some others that had no clue and posted just to see what I would say.

I knew about the Quad-Cab SRT-10... just a waste of money on their part. Yet it's kind of funny. People buy something like that and they complain it don't go fast. Like duh, you need the regular cab with the stick shift. It's really like I said earlier... people just buy these trucks for show. I bet if I were to borrow some of these people's trucks with their 24" rims with low pros (the ones that make stupid comments about sticks), and I took it for a week with some of the crap I haul, they'd either sue me, make me buy the truck, or who knows what.

Heck, I've already torn the crap out of the tailgate.... do I feel bad? Yeah, maybe the first scratch or two on the plastic... but now, I really could give two craps and I've owned my truck 7 1/2 months. I see some on here that have had their truck for 4 to 6 years and they just drive it for show, and be damned if they got a scratch on their bed paint or plastic.

To me, a truck is stick shift, just as a sports car. A family car is automatic. My truck is not a family car by no means. I use my trucks for work and that's it.

What's really great was that I was talking to a sheriff the other day, and go to find out that NY might be making a law that there is going be more "restricted" roadways for commerical plated vehicles. Why? These new trucks weigh so much more and they are tearing up city roads 50% quicker than in previous years. Basically stating that too many people are driving these huge trucks for personal transportation and not for "commercial, or work" purposes. What's an astonishing fact is that 90% percent of all "commericial" plated trucks, like F150s weighing in at 5500+ lbs are being used as a personal transportation vehicles. Never hauling anything in the bed, never seeing a trailer... basically like a huge, heavy, gas guzzling car.

At least I don't have anything to worry about... I don't use my truck as a "personal livery".

I can't wait to see people's reactions to that law... yikes... if people come barking down a tree because they refuse to believe a stick is better than an automatic, then this will stir the pot.

Last edited by ManualF150; 06-30-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Graphics Contributor

What's really great was that I was talking to a sheriff the other day, and go to find out that NY might be making a law that there is going be more "restricted" roadways for commerical plated vehicles. Why? These new trucks weigh so much more and they are tearing up city roads 50% quicker than in previous years. Basically stating that too many people are driving these huge trucks for personal transportation and not for "commercial, or work" purposes. What's an astonishing fact is that 90% percent of all "commericial" plated trucks, like F150s weighing in at 5500+ lbs are being used as a personal transportation vehicles. Never hauling anything in the bed, never seeing a trailer... basically like a huge, heavy, gas guzzling car.

At least I don't have anything to worry about... I don't use my truck as a "personal livery".

wait.. that doesnt make sense. Theyre going to make roadways restricted to commercials blah blah w/e w/e cuz so many people are buying trucks. Why do you have nothing to worry about? your truck is like still heavy...

Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 PM

wait.. that doesnt make sense. Theyre going to make roadways restricted to commercials blah blah w/e w/e cuz so many people are buying trucks. Why do you have nothing to worry about? your truck is like still heavy...
I don't have anything to worry about because I only use my F150 for work related purposes only. I've got my tools loaded up in my bed for work. I don't go up and down the road for getting a few groceries, or taking my friends around, or what not. Basically doing stuff that simple car could do.

Possibly a few times I had to go out and get something but that is rare occasion and I had good reason.

I see great justification in this law. It will not only reduce pollution, wear on roadways, but also save tax payers extra money in lots of ways.

There have been many studies on roadway effects with heavy vehicles. It kills them quickly. Infact, they are studying that around here right where I live. They've hired out a company called Premier Road Engineering Inc. They are hired out not only in the local area, but on the NY Thruway. What they do is they monitor road wear and tear... measure traffic, weights, speed, temperature, moisture, etc... They take in consideration for EVERY possible aspect on road wear.

It's quite interesting to see this. But you can only figure in it is because of the weight of the trucks that people drive these days.

Figure it in like this... would you run a train system that weighs 30,000 tons, with a dual engine configuration, and only carry 1 person and nothing else except for cars? I didn't think so. Now that is stupid... just like using a 6000+ lb truck to go to the store and get a few coldcuts for the fridge. That's stupid.

I've got even another example. On my driveway. When I had my '99 F150, I never had a problem with being able to leave it on the driveway and worry about ruts. At that time we had a NEW driveway. Now with our driveway being a few years old, and hard.. you would think that it wouldn't rut. Well, my new F150 will make ruts in the driveway. Not to mention it has torn up the driveway a lot... it's not even funny. So I can only imagine what it is doing to the road.

Last edited by ManualF150; 06-30-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Graphics Contributor
You sir, are a woman.

Time to hand over your *****.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 AM

You sir, are a woman.

Time to hand over your *****.
You've got it...