2004 - 2008 F-150

Drivers seat noise moving forward or backward

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drivers seat noise moving forward or backward

My 2004 Lariat driver's power seat is making a noticeable groaning/whining noise when moving forward or backward. Had the same problem a year ago, tried unsuccessfully to fix it after it finally quit working at all, and ended up buying and installing a used slider base for the seat. Now the same thing is happening to the replacement.

Has anyone been successful in fixing this on their truck?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 PM
· Fixed it.

· Took seat out, removed worm gear on right side, separated the two metal parts of track, greased the two inner, plastic sliders, reassembled (except for worm gear), worked the two parts of track back and forth until they moved with a lot less friction, and reassembled worm gear. On left side, took out worm gear, but did not disassemble track. Forced white lithium grease between tracks and plastic sliders where surfaces rub by blowing it in with air compressor hose. Then worked the two halves of track back and forth until they slid pretty easy.

· Reassembled seat in truck

· It still would not go fully forward

· Got wife to set in front seat and push switch to go forward while I set in back seat and pushed my feet against bottom of seat (got this idea elsewhere online). I think that forced whatever was misaligned to realign because the seat now works fine.

· Suggestion: If you ever have this problem, try the latter step above, or, if it won’t move backward, do the opposite, i.e., push in from front with your legs. That may be all that’s necessary, saving you from taking the seat out to grease it.

Last edited by getterdun; 11-15-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: remove duplicate text
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same noise when i move my driver seat. Is it possible to add grease without removing the seat?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:12 PM
I have no idea why I just received your 9/12 post.

Anyway, I would say no. Even when you take the seat out it's still hard to grease; and, I think working the tracks back and forth after greasing makes then slide a lot easier.

But, if you haven't tried the pushing on the seat (while pressing power seat switch backward or forward) either backward while pushing on front floorboard, or forward while pushing on the back, bottom of the seat, I'd try that first.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:53 PM
11/18/20
Problem recurred.
Cause found:
The device the motor cables connect to at the front of each seat track was stuck. They connect the wire from the motor to the wire that turns the track worm gear. The picture below shows what's inside after drilling out the four plastic welds and opening one of the metal tangs holding the part's feet. The problem was that the grease was no longer where it needed to be.
Solution: I used a Q-tip to swab the grease and put it where it needed to be. After that the gears moved smoothly..
Note: Pumping grease into the drive holes without disassembling the unit was unsuccessful since the drive holes do not lead to the interior where the gears are.

Last edited by getterdun; 11-18-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Add more info
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duely noted!

Off topic: I had just recently fixed my rear sliding window by removing the back seat and tapping the electric motor while greasing the cable wire there too. If you got grease and a rear sliding window I suggest you should grease that too so that the aging electric motor doesn't need to work that hard ;-)

Quick Reply: Drivers seat noise moving forward or backward