2004 - 2008 F-150

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Leak

Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted much on this board.

Anyhoo, I've done some reading on changing out the dreaded passenger exhaust manifold. I've developed a leak at the rear port which is clearly audible. I discovered the remnants of a broken exhaust stud while changing out the starter recently, which is likely the culprit of the exhaust leak. My questions are:

1) Do I dare take this on myself, knowing that I have at least one broken exhaust stud on an engine (5.4L) with 140K miles on it?

2) Would you go back in with the OEM exhaust manifold? Heard some good, some bad about the Dorman/aftermarket stuff.

3) I've seen some templates for drilling out exhaust studs, but I'd hate to buy the jig and not end up needing it.

4) Go back with Ford gaskets/studs or find aftermarket stuff?

Side note: local shop quoted $1K over the phone to do the job. I can easily afford it, but I just hate dropping coin like that on a relatively simple (but frustrating) repair.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You can try it yourself and see what happens. Worst case, you need to have it towed to the shop.

You can even sell the template if you used it once or didn't use it...

The only thing you are wasting is your time if you get in a snag.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Here is a detailed video of a shop replacing the manifold on a F150.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I know. I just hate to bust my knuckles if I'm going to end up having to have it towed AND pay the $1K to have it fixed. I think my main fear is having any other exhaust studs broken off in the block, especially those that are next to the shock tower where I wouldn't be able to get a drill to fit. On top of that, I don't own any stud extractor tools, either, so that's another expense. The truck is a 3rd vehicle and isn't even my only fill-size truck, so it's not like I have to be in an absolute rush with it.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That video sort of make you wonder WTF they are teaching in Engineering school these days. Not much of a manifold if you can't even get 50 years out of it...

Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
^
Cars/Trucks/Tractors are disposable now-a-days...

Old 12-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by IH man
That video sort of make you wonder WTF they are teaching in Engineering school these days. Not much of a manifold if you can't even get 50 years out of it...
Yeah, I’m not even sure there’s anything wrong with my manifold, but as cheap as they are, it’s silly not to have a new one waiting to go in. If I thought I’d keep the truck for another 5+ years I’d probably do the JBA shorty headers, but I’ll probably buy a used SRW F-250/350 diesel when it comes time to sell this one off.

Thing is, my truck looks great for having 140K on it and has been pretty much trouble free. Hard to see how guys are paying $60K+ for Platinum F-150s when I have basically the same thing that’s been paid off for most of a decade.

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a grand I would just take it to the shop. I had a broken stud on an 07 Expedition that they couldn't get to without lowering or raising the engine - I can't remember. They also had to replace the manifold so the bill was over $3K.

Last edited by Dog'em; 12-17-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check around and see if another shop will do it for less.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is that grand for both sides or just the pass side? I had my pass side done on my 97 F150 for $400 at an exhaust shop. I did supply the new studs and gaskets. The shop actually supplied a used manifold that was in better shape than mine for no charge!

He was going to charge me the same $400 for the drivers side too, but it was not as bad (leak wise) so I passed. Ended up trading the truck in about a year later anyway, so there you go..

I thought about doing it myself and even bought some extraction tools and drill bits, but in the end, just took it in..

But if that's a grand for just the pass side... Wow... Prices sure have gone up!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Is that grand for both sides or just the pass side? I had my pass side done on my 97 F150 for $400 at an exhaust shop. I did supply the new studs and gaskets. The shop actually supplied a used manifold that was in better shape than mine for no charge!

He was going to charge me the same $400 for the drivers side too, but it was not as bad (leak wise) so I passed. Ended up trading the truck in about a year later anyway, so there you go..

I thought about doing it myself and even bought some extraction tools and drill bits, but in the end, just took it in..

But if that's a grand for just the pass side... Wow... Prices sure have gone up!

Good luck!

Mitch
it was just for passenger side. It’s well-documented that it’s a huge PITA on the 04-08 models, and usually requires starter removal and lifting the engine a bit. The drivers side is not quite as bad.

The 97-03 is a bit more accessible through the wheel well.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah, didn't notice the forum that this was in.... Seems to be a lot more work for the 3v engines.. Here is a vid on a 2010, but it's still a 5.4 3v and no way I would tackle this.. Heck, I wimped out on my 97!

Good luck! Mitch

Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 AM
Yeah I watched that video a couple of times, he does a great job of breaking it down. My biggest fear is mainly having a stud or two that break off flush with the block. I’ve always had crap luck with easy outs/extractors in the past. I usually end up snapping some cheap easy out and end up with a real mess. The disassembly and assembly parts don’t bother me too much, as I’ve got plenty of sockets/extensions and air tools to get that done.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Leak