2004 - 2008 F-150

IWE Testing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IWE Testing Questions

My truck started to make the grinding noise of the IWE's on Monday. It happened 3 times while I was driving, the third time I was able to stop the noise by turning the 4x4 switch to 4HI.

Doing some reading here and testing on my truck I have found a couple things. I have the old style solenoid, its probably original so its got over 200000k on it now. I tested the 2 check valves in the engine bay and they both seemed good. I used the vacuum tester of the 2 lines I pulled off the solenoid and got some good but odd results. On the larger line, each pump would increase the vacuum a huge amount, then it would quickly drop. For example, one pump it would jump to 15 or 20in, then drop down to 5 and hold there, next pump would go to 20 or 25 then drop to 7 and hold. I got it up to 10 and it held. On the smaller line, it rose a steady amount with each pump and it held fine at 15in.

I disconnected the line at the check valve nearest the air intake box and connected my tester to the line that continues on to the drivers side, I could not pull a vacuum on that line.

I disconnected the line from the actuator at the wheel and tried to pull a vacuum on both lines from the wheel, but could not get any vacuum there.

I was not yet able to test the vacuum on the actuator itself yet, the hoses that came with my pump don't fit those ports.

Any suggestions on interpreting my results so far?

When it first made the noise first I thought something had fallen off and was being dragged, the second time I thought it was the starter dragging, by the 3rd time I knew what it was, but I heard it from my front left wheel (that could just be because the window was down).

Thanks for any input!

Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM
No, unfortunately not. I followed most of the testing procedures listed there and didn't see any of the posts that matched my issues.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 PM
I just finished some extra testing. I was able to pull 20in of vacuum on the actuator itself, it lost 2in over 5 minutes. I checked the engine vacuum at the actuator. It was 15 on startup, then increased to 20 and maxed out at 21 and was stable. After shutting the engine down it dropped to 0 within a few seconds.

Not sure where to go from here, but I'll cross post this info in the iwe mega thread for more exposure

Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Please don't crosspost.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonder
I just finished some extra testing. I was able to pull 20in of vacuum on the actuator itself, it lost 2in over 5 minutes. I checked the engine vacuum at the actuator. It was 15 on startup, then increased to 20 and maxed out at 21 and was stable. After shutting the engine down it dropped to 0 within a few seconds.

Not sure where to go from here, but I'll cross post this info in the iwe mega thread for more exposure
Bonder, I deleted the post you put into the other thread because we've found that multiple posts or threads on the same topic lead to confusing responses that can waste your time and cost you extra money.

As glc said, please don't crosspost.

I appreciate your frustration, but be patient. There ARE people here who can help you. Give them a chance.

- Jack

Old 05-04-2017, 09:43 AM
I had the same symptoms. The first time it happened I definitely thought I was dragging a piece sheet metal or something. I had the "newer style" solenoid valve with the rain cap but still decided to just spend the $25 and replace that first and if that didn't solve it I would roll up my sleeves and really start troubleshooting. Luckily that DID fix the issue and Ive been fine for a year or so now and 10Kish miles.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 PM
OK, sorry for the cross post.

I have picked up the replacement parts, actuators and solenoid so i will just tackle this issue.

That should get me rolling properly again.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Well I replaced the actuators on both sides. the seal on the driver side was deteriorated to the point it disintegrated on inspection and the spring helix came out of the rubber.

There were no signs of water or rust, and both sides still moved freely.

But replaced both, replaced solenoid and then replaced the drivers side CV axle (don't ask)

No noise yet, other then a metallic clunk from the transfer case when shifting in or out of 4WD Low, probably normal I don't use low much.