2004 - 2008 F-150

Needing new complete struts or shocks only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing new complete struts or shocks only?

I know what you're thinking...your truck doesn't have struts. Whatever your opinion may be, that's what the auto parts supplier calls them, so let's roll with it. I've got an '05 F-150 XLT 4x4 Crew with 117,000. The thing is a gem. I love it. I had the tires rotated last week and I was encouraged to replace the "front left strut". Here is my dilemma- would you recommend a complete "strut/coilover" assembly replacement or ONLY a shock(inside the coil spring) replacement? My springs have some wear to them. No cracks. 99.6% of my driving is pavement, but I'd hate to replace just the shocks and then have the spring crack on me. I've read every forum there is, but still not sure what to do. If I do the entire assembly, I am considering the KYB Strut-Plus (SR4077), however it looks to me that the coils are so close together, that there is barely any travel. If I replace the shocks only, I'm looking at the Bilstein 4600 HD, or else the KYB Excel-G (341601). I've also heard horror stories of spring compressors and they don't sound like much fun, but the shops I've talked to refuse to install outside parts. I'm in a pickle. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Adding a whole new coil over assembly is definitely easier. I put Monroe quick struts in my truck and like them. I'd also recommend doing both sides, not just one.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Using a spring compressor to install shocks only is not that big of a deal, I've done it.

Just get 2 sets(QTY 4) compressors and use them on each spring. Then it's much easier and a lot safer, 2 of those compressors can fail and you'll still be OK.

I wouldn't use just one pair, that would be scary.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't not be afraid of doing just the strut (shock if you like?). The spring should be fine. The main reason complete front spring assemblies are sold now is for ease and time. Removing the strut from a coil over spring setup can be a major headache and requires some sort of spring compressor. I did a Toyota recently where the top nut would not come loose. After about an hour of trying different ways, I finally said *#C% you and used a cut off wheel. The second side was the same, so I maybe wasted 2 minutes trying to get it to break loose before I went to the grinder. This sounds strange, but I did front and rear opposite... Front's I ordered the complete kits, rears I ordered just the struts. When I went back and tried to remove the springs from the fronts a week later, I discovered that my spring compressor would NOT work correctly on these springs. I could not compress enough spring to remove all the tension from the plate.
And as the guy above said, do BOTH, not just one side.

In the end it's a decision you have to make. Spring compression always comes with some risk, I knew of 2 guys that knocked out all their front teeth doing spring changes on cars years ago. It's not rocket science though, use the correct tool, don't do it while you're drunk, and the risk is very slim. If it's your first time, figure the shock only purchase will take you all day working on your truck. The strut/spring kit will probably take you a couple hours at most.
Youtube has videos of what you're getting yourself into. In my opinion, unless I'm saving over $100 my time is worth more than the $ and I'd buy the kits.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Adding a whole new coil over assembly is definitely easier. I put Monroe quick struts in my truck and like them. I'd also recommend doing both sides, not just one.
Right, definitely going to replace both sides. With the full assembled strut, I know I could get those swapped quickly and with no danger involved, but it is also twice the money. Also it is Bilstein shocks vs KYB complete struts. Trying to weigh my options.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hawkz28
Using a spring compressor to install shocks only is not that big of a deal, I've done it.

Just get 2 sets(QTY 4) compressors and use them on each spring. Then it's much easier and a lot safer, 2 of those compressors can fail and you'll still be OK.

I wouldn't use just one pair, that would be scary.
I've been looking to do that, but Auto Zone/O'Reilly want just under $90 to RENT the compressor, which I believe is only two clamps (one pair). When it comes down to numbers, it's almost even once I factor in rental fees, but still looking for a shop who might be able to just swap the shocks for me and I install...

Old 04-28-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by goldenarm7
I've been looking to do that, but Auto Zone/O'Reilly want just under $90 to RENT the compressor, which I believe is only two clamps (one pair). When it comes down to numbers, it's almost even once I factor in rental fees, but still looking for a shop who might be able to just swap the shocks for me and I install...
Those shops don't keep your $90. They only place a hold on your card until you return the spring compressor. It's essentially free.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by slo5oh
Don't not be afraid of doing just the strut (shock if you like?). The spring should be fine. The main reason complete front spring assemblies are sold now is for ease and time. Removing the strut from a coil over spring setup can be a major headache and requires some sort of spring compressor. I did a Toyota recently where the top nut would not come loose. After about an hour of trying different ways, I finally said *#C% you and used a cut off wheel. The second side was the same, so I maybe wasted 2 minutes trying to get it to break loose before I went to the grinder. This sounds strange, but I did front and rear opposite... Front's I ordered the complete kits, rears I ordered just the struts. When I went back and tried to remove the springs from the fronts a week later, I discovered that my spring compressor would NOT work correctly on these springs. I could not compress enough spring to remove all the tension from the plate.
And as the guy above said, do BOTH, not just one side.

In the end it's a decision you have to make. Spring compression always comes with some risk, I knew of 2 guys that knocked out all their front teeth doing spring changes on cars years ago. It's not rocket science though, use the correct tool, don't do it while you're drunk, and the risk is very slim. If it's your first time, figure the shock only purchase will take you all day working on your truck. The strut/spring kit will probably take you a couple hours at most.
Youtube has videos of what you're getting yourself into. In my opinion, unless I'm saving over $100 my time is worth more than the $ and I'd buy the kits.
My father in law has compressed springs a few times before and seems to think its no big deal, but I know my wife wouldn't be pleased if it did cause some harm. Starting to think either way will work, just going to be swapping time/risk for saved money. Anyone have experience with KYB? I've just read that Monroe is subpar and Bilstein is the highest quality, but you pay for it.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Those shops don't keep your $90. They only place a hold on your card until you return the spring compressor. It's essentially free.
Are you kidding me? Haha, they failed to mention that when I talked to them. I thought it was a non-returnable rental fee. That changes the game then. I'll have to double check with them, but that may work out. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't even think about that.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Are you kidding me? Haha, they failed to mention that when I talked to them. I thought it was a non-returnable rental fee. That changes the game then. I'll have to double check with them, but that may work out. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't even think about that.
Everything I've used from them (ball joint press, etc) has always been that way. They've never taken a penny from me.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:23 PM
I put KYB struts on the 04 I had when I broke a coil spring. I was very happy with them.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Haven't used the KYB struts but used KYB shocks on the Jeep Liberty that I lifted and outfitted for my daughter, they were great but on a much lighter vehicle. Used the Monroes on my work truck a few years ago, didn't care for them at all. Bilsteins are highly recommended but some say the ride may be a little harsh. At this point I am kind of leaning towards KYB, let us know what you go with.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Love my recently installed Bilstein 5100!

Better yet, take the coil/shock setup to your favorite shop, Hand him a 20, and ask if they will put it on their fancy spring machine, take out the old and put in the new. 10 minutes later you are headed home!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I've got an '05 F-150 XLT 4x4 Crew with 117,000. The thing is a gem. 99.6% of my driving is pavement, .
One always hates it when doing a job, being in there and putting it all back together and then having to go back for another failure .... but that can always happen. Your springs have so far stood the test of time and it doesn't look like you are too hard on them. What will break springs is really cold temperatures, frost heaves, tore up pot holed pavement, and speed. Most broken spring stories are in areas where all that is common.

And Advance Auto Parts is the same way. The tools are not cheap as they are well made tools.... so they charge you replacement costs and if you return it within 45 days, you get a total refund. Many put it on a credit card and then just get a credit issued back. If by chance, a part of the kit breaks, just take it back and they'll swap out another serviceable tool so you can do the job. You'll see that the tools are used ..... so if by chance you want to buy one to keep permanently, tell them to order you a new one. If you do buy one, there is a toll free number where you can call to get replacement parts for the tool .... lifetime.

But yeah, they are not "rentals", they are intended to be "loaners" and they just hold your $$$ until you return it. You end up with the use for "free".

Last edited by tbear853; 04-29-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your springs look good you can just swap them over using the spring compressors like others have mentioned. Using 4 per spring is a good idea since these are truck springs and are much heavier duty than a regular car. I would highly suggest using an impact gun on the spring compressors. If you do it by hand (it can be done) it will take a bit to compress those springs down using manual labor. I used an impact gun and it made it much easier. I have a set of the loaded Rancho RS9000 struts on mine and they went in perfectly. If you do swap springs take your time and position the compressors in a way they wont get stuck when you compress or decompress the spring, I got one stuck and had to compress the spring and reposition and fight it for about 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Needing new complete struts or shocks only?