2004 - 2008 F-150

Complete led conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
You have good luck! I've tried a couple various sets of lights from jdm astar and they had nothing but issues. Even their newest and supposedly best 3030 serious would flicker and sometimes not even come on.

Here's an example of one of their lights I tried:

JDM ASTAR LED - buyer beware - YouTube
I see from your video. I did on one of them had that issue, I had flip it around and also bend the metal a little for it to get a good connection

Old 04-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkz28
I see from your video. I did on one of them had that issue, I had flip it around and also bend the metal a little for it to get a good connection
Yeah bending the metal contacts fixes that. But they told me their products are high quality so I figured you wouldnt need to bend the metal contacts to make them work. That's the kind of stuff you have to deal with with the Chinese junk.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the 6000k white zevo in my reverse lights and they dont work. I swapped the maps n dome to zevos and front parking lights to zevos also. Autozone didnt have the 3157A in stock. I literally just did it, so ill have to check it out when i get up before work. I gotta get a different flasher cuz of the hyperflash but for now, until i decide if i wanna keep the zevo im gunna wait.

Maybe the 3157 whites did work i just couldnt see it in the sun and i dont trust putting it in reverse, getting out and checking lol. Dont wanna get sandwiched between my neighbors car n truck if it creeps back. Did u use the 27ep flasher?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Also what do ur 3157 white bulbs look like. I see two different styles online. One had a globe other has three metal piecee coming out the top with the led chips on the outer two.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:35 PM

The ones I have look like the metal piece. They are not the globe shape. Those are either the older style or the cheaper entry level ones.

Which did you use that didn't work?

These are what I use in red for the tail, Amber for front turn signals and 6000k for reserse. I've never had or heard about any issues with them.

Complete led conversion-5i7ucti.jpg

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Those are the kind i have. Went out after i ate, tried the reverse lights again and one of the led bulbs doesnt work. Tried the other and wow, looks great but i need to exchange the 6000k 3157 for another set since ine doesnt work. Gotta wait until i go to work to see how the tails/brakes and front parking lights look. Still need to get an ep27 flasher, fromt 3157As and new 6000k 3157s.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Optika1 illushu
Those are the kind i have. Went out after i ate, tried the reverse lights again and one of the led bulbs doesnt work. Tried the other and wow, looks great but i need to exchange the 6000k 3157 for another set since ine doesnt work. Gotta wait until i go to work to see how the tails/brakes and front parking lights look. Still need to get an ep27 flasher, fromt 3157As and new 6000k 3157s.
Did you try turning the bulb that didn't work 180°? a lot of LEDs a polarity sensitive and only work when plugged in one way.

Also, make sure you use the red 3157 Zevo in the tails. You don't want a 6000k in there.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Ya i had truck key on engine off in reverse, flipped bulb still no good, swapped right to left n flipped its no good. Yup got 3157R for tails.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Ya i had truck key on engine off in reverse, flipped bulb still no good, swapped right to left n flipped its no good. Yup got 3157R for tails.
That's the first defective one I've ever heard of! But with anything, it can happen. Sylvania does have a lifetime warranty on them, though.

I am by no means affiliated with the company, but I can promise you'll be happy with the results with the zevos. The 194 Zevo 6000k are great for the license plate lights too.

You should also be able to find a Novita EP-27 flasher unit at your parts store. Just turn on your directional and listen to where the clicking sound is coming from. The units are plug n play.

Keep us updated!

Last edited by 2008_XL; 04-25-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:58 AM
Ya i know where it is. I know a thing or three bout cars trucks n quads...built half a dozen or more pre 97s and just got done last yr with our 66 fairlane gt.

On my way to work i noticed the brake lights are beighter and look a deeper red. The front park lights are def brighter and a little more golden amber. Interior is a lot better also, little hard to,adjust to the white vs yellowish from the incandesants tho. Im gunna return the defective bulbs tomorrow n get the ep27.

Thanks for,the guidanxe thus far.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 AM

Ya i know where it is. I know a thing or three bout cars trucks n quads...built half a dozen or more pre 97s and just got done last yr with our 66 fairlane gt.

On my way to work i noticed the brake lights are beighter and look a deeper red. The front park lights are def brighter and a little more golden amber. Interior is a lot better also, little hard to,adjust to the white vs yellowish from the incandesants tho. Im gunna return the defective bulbs tomorrow n get the ep27.

Thanks for,the guidanxe thus far.
That's great. And wait till you see the red brakes and directionals reflecting off signs behind you in the mirrors. Theyre intense! Good to hear it's working out for you the first try. I went through a ton of eBay junk before ending up with these. It was a lot of trial and error and wasted time.

You'll definitely get used to the cooler colors inside the cab. I too remember it was quite strange going from the warm incandescent to the cool led.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
The ones I have look like the metal piece. They are not the globe shape. Those are either the older style or the cheaper entry level ones.

Which did you use that didn't work?

These are what I use in red for the tail, Amber for front turn signals and 6000k for reserse. I've never had or heard about any issues with them.

Screw Sylvania, get Philips.

Why?

tl;dr- Sylvania are not road legal, Philips are. Optics are superior.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 AM

The Sylvanias are bright and their optics are the same. Both reflect light solely back into the reflective housing. Let's not get into optics though. Whether it be Philips or Sylvania, you're still putting an led in a housing made for an incandescent bulb.

I don't think you'll see any difference in performance between the two bulbs.

Who cares what the packaging says. Ha. They work just fine. Plus, Sylvania is the company that makes the new led headlights for the 2015 plus F150. I trust they know what they're doing.

Also, Phillips doesn't have all the options. They do not make an amber 3157. So you're out of luck in the front if you want to go with those.

You're pretty much saying screw coke, go with Pepsi.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 04-26-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 AM
As long as the light projected is on par with factory IDK if its "for off road use". After seeing these in action, seeing how they reflect light towards the reflector as stated above im sure no one will even notice.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 AM

As long as the light projected is on par with factory IDK if its "for off road use". After seeing these in action, seeing how they reflect light towards the reflector as stated above im sure no one will even notice.
I agree. And you seem to like them, so that's all that really matters. No point to sway someone to a different brand that's very similar. One of those companies put out their product in response to the other anyway. So you'll be getting a very similar product. If Phillips offered an amber 3157, I may have tried them.

Quick Reply: Complete led conversion