2004 - 2008 F-150

Instrument cluster direct swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
That's just flat-out wrong. PATS is STILL in use on current models.

However, it would be 100% to state that, as of the 2004 MY (except Heritage) F150, the instrument cluster is no longer an element of the PATS system.
Correct, and that's what I meant. That the cluster doesn't use PATS. I could have worded it better.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too did a fx4 dash swap to have a tach.
I wish I didn't have to manually turn on lights when I open door. I wish there was a work around. Did you notice the lights theater dim instead of just turning off?

My understanding is that not all dealers have the equipment to reprogram the dash cluster. It cost like 10k. And there might be legality issues. It's an easy way to erase miles from your truck.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IntRiniTy
I too did a fx4 dash swap to have a tach.
I wish I didn't have to manually turn on lights when I open door. I wish there was a work around. Did you notice the lights theater dim instead of just turning off?

My understanding is that not all dealers have the equipment to reprogram the dash cluster. It cost like 10k. And there might be legality issues. It's an easy way to erase miles from your truck.
You can send both clusters in to a speedometer shop and have all the info and data swapped for about $100.

Things that don't work: outside temp and compass, lights coming on when doors are open, mileage illumination when door is open and chimes.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also saw some information (dang this new-fangled thing called internet) that the Automatic A/C controls for the King Ranch and Lariat pass through/get a reference signal from the Instrument cluster and swapping to King Ranch or Lariat gauges prevent A/C from working in trucks that have conventional HVAC controls, true?

I ask because I recently purchased this truck and the A/C clutch never engages, and the system pressure suggests a full charge. If automatic A/C gauges prevent a manual A/C control system from functioning then it stands to reason that they ALL have a pass through circuit, wouldn't it? Ergo, perhaps my A/C fail is from my already known flaky instrument cluster? This thing has had one of those gawd awful idiot radios installed and I just wondered if an electrical spike from a previous owner may have hit the already fragile instrument cluster and damaged its abilities (half the time the odometer doesn't display anything). The XLT gauge set I purchased are in decent enough shape; but whether they are fully functional I'm unsure of. I'm still going to install the new-to-me XLT gauge set, I was just curious if I should diagnose the gauges separate from the A/C or together......

Thanks

-Patric

Old 04-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The hard-wired AC_Clutch_Request signal passes through the cluster on ALL F150s of this vintage if it has the manual climate control system. If it has the automatic system, the signalling is done via software messaging over one of the data buses (UBP) between the EATC module, the cluster, and the PCM.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-21-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Yes. A truck cluster that come with Auto Air will prevent the A/C from working in a non-Auto Air truck. You can have it reflashed with "As-Built" data at the data to enable it.

However, this will not work with the Mark LT cluster, as manual climate control was never available with the Lincoln. (I tried)

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster direct swap?