2004 - 2008 F-150

04 f150 wont engage when put in drive!! have to shift to 2nd please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 f150 wont engage when put in drive!! have to shift to 2nd please help!!

I have an 04 f150, i've had the truck about a year now and cant figure this out. the truck starts in park 90% of the time, maybe once every 2 weeks I have to put in neutral to start. when I shift from park to drive nothing happens, park to reverse will work sometimes if I nudge the shifter right. if I shift from park to second then to reverse or park to second to drive the truck is fine. it shifts fine through all gears once im driving. I have replaced the transmission range sensor and shifter cable and nothing. I have scanned the truck at ford and don't get codes. I have had the wife shift while im under the truck and it seems as if the transmission is reading nothing when shifted into drive. I have the floor console shifter. any help is appreciated

Old 07-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Something must be loose in the shifter assembly. I was under the impression these trucks would not start at all unless the sensor verified the transmission was in park. I would suggest dissecting the shifter linkage and assembly itself, or possibly swap it out with another from a doner truck.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:05 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I was under the impression these trucks would not start at all unless the sensor verified the transmission was in park.
It should also start if it's in neutral.

Quick Reply: 04 f150 wont engage when put in drive!! have to shift to 2nd please help!!