2004 - 2008 F-150

I assume the answer is NO, but......

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume the answer is NO, but......

I have a set of 4 wheels that I want to sell, there are old tires on them I just want to take off.

Called a local tire place, they want $17 per wheel to take the tires off and dispose.

Is there a way I can take tires off in my garage without a machine? Could I deflate them totally and then break the bead with something?? I don't care if I destroy the tires either.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkz28
I have a set of 4 wheels that I want to sell, there are old tires on them I just want to take off.

Called a local tire place, they want $17 per wheel to take the tires off and dispose.

Is there a way I can take tires off in my garage without a machine? Could I deflate them totally and then break the bead with something?? I don't care if I destroy the tires either.
Look at some diy methods on YouTube. I wanted to do the same thing. However, without rigging up something, you won't get them off.

You need to break them down. The seal where the tire meets the wheel has an extremely strong bond that you won't be able to break with any normal tools.

Long story short, probably no, sorry.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it $17.00 per wheel or $17.00 total?

If it's $17.00 total, I'd just have them do it because anything you would jerry-rig on your own would probably cost that much and then you'd still have to make a midnight run on a country back road to get rid of the old tires......

Old 07-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tried to get a tire off a rim to scrap the rim. long story short I took it to the scrapyard cut up with a lil sidewall left on, hoping they'd take it like that (which they did)

some people, particularly ones with old work trucks or whatnot manage to do it, even to change the tires between sets, with screwdrivers, but you might damage the rim. so i wouldn't do it to sell rims. I assume these are nice rims that you can get decent money for

i'd either pay for it, or try to sell as is and let them deal with it. even if you tried to say, take off $40 maybe, vs the $68+tax you'd pay. could work.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have changed them in the driveway out of necessity. I'm a carpenter so I have a good assortment of pry bars. The hard part is breaking the bead, once that is done it's just like doing a bicycle tire............only bigger. Took about 20 minutes each.

If they are alloy rims then remove them from the back (inside) and use lots of dish soap, it helps a lot.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You could always install them on the truck air them down to like 6 PSI and take some hard corners to break the beads

Or mount them on the truck and burn out until they are all gone

But seriously [as a professional tech] I'd recommend you pay and have them done correctly for your safety

Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take my tires to a friend (he does tire swaps on the side). He charges me $80 for full tire swap INCLUDING balancing.

I've seen him use the equipment and it doesn't take more than 10 minutes to remove all 4 tires from the rims.

1. Apply lubricant to rim.
2. Pry the lip of the tire up on top side
3. Tire machine spins.
4. First-half of the tire is removed.
5. Pry the lip of the bottom side of the tire.
6. Tire machine spins.
7. Tire is removed.

No longer than 2 minutes/wheel.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Great, looks like it's not an easy do it yourself job.

I'll bring it to the shop.

Brian

Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 04FX4Kev
I take my tires to a friend (he does tire swaps on the side). He charges me $80 for full tire swap INCLUDING balancing.

I've seen him use the equipment and it doesn't take more than 10 minutes to remove all 4 tires from the rims.

1. Apply lubricant to rim.
2. Pry the lip of the tire up on top side
3. Tire machine spins.
4. First-half of the tire is removed.
5. Pry the lip of the bottom side of the tire.
6. Tire machine spins.
7. Tire is removed.

No longer than 2 minutes/wheel.
A friend of mine has a machine as his shop as well. He charged me $20 to remove 4 tires. But I'll add for the OP: not sure if his have tire pressure monitors, but if so, it's slightly trickier and you have to be even more gentile. The tpms are mounded at the 6 o'clock position from the valve stem. Can't start the break down there as it'll destroy them. Don't ask me why I know this. Luckily, I had two sets of wheels, both with tpms so I was able to swap without having a dash warning light.

Only other thing I saw to break them down on YouTube, was a guy that literally took his truck and drove slowly over the tire portion (not the rim). However, I wouldn't recommend this if you care about the wheels even slightly.

Quick Reply: I assume the answer is NO, but......