2004 - 2008 F-150

In the market for a 04-08 .. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I was simply referring to the fact that you said you wouldn't purchase a truck with a 5.4L, EVER. I truly believe you'd be losing out on some great trucks if you avoided the 5.4L, which by just about any measure, has been a hugely successful engine for Ford. Sure, some of them have their quirks, but nothing that should preempt the purchase of a truck if the engine has been cared for appropriately. Very few engines from any manufacturer have been without some sort of "gotchas".

It wasn't a dig at your current truck, either. Nothing wrong with the V6 or 4.6L V8 in general if it suits your needs. Given the choice, I'd still take the 5.4L over the other engine options up until the 5.0L/EcoBoost became available.
I didn't take any offense, and I know you didn't mean it that way. Totally cool. To be honest, personally, if I was to get another truck, anything that had the 5.4 would be too old for my liking anyway. But I guess it depends if you speaking of right now, or when I bought my truck in 2008.

Don't get me wrong, the 5.4 3v has plenty of power, but the cam phaser issue scares me. Plugs, no problem, injectors were updated in what 2008?

I know your truck has been good to you, though. And if I were in your shoes, I'd have the exact same opinion you do.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think injectors were an 06-07 thing. 08's don't really suffer from most of the issues except the models with 07-built engines containing the older spark plug design. All that being said, I still love my 351w more than the newer engines anyhow, lol.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think injectors were an 06-07 thing. 08's don't really suffer from most of the issues except the models with 07-built engines containing the older spark plug design. All that being said, I still love my 351w more than the newer engines anyhow, lol.
I know the feeling of loving your own truck and standing up for it! I'm glad you got one that's been pretty flawless.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stuck injectors was a 2005 thing.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd look at the YM 2009-10 just to get away from the multi-piece spark plugs. Cam phasers are a different thing. My personal, I wouldn't buy any 5.4. It was never a strong engine anyway. I never saw one on a dyno, stock, that made over 260HP, allowing 19% mechanics. Having just stepped out of a 2004 4.6, it's a dandy engine for running up and down the hiway. It's no trailer puller with any axle ratio. My current 3.7 V6 will blow the doors off of any F150 4.6 stock. You probably need to be looking for a used 5.0 with trailer tow.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I wouldn't buy any 5.4.
You mean 3 valve - the 2 valve was rock solid.

If you can find a nice 03 or earlier with a 5.4, that will tow 5k just fine. Otherwise I'd really try to see if you can afford a 2011 or newer with a 5.0.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2stroked
My 2010 4.6 3 valve was a much better truck, but by 48,000 miles, you had to shut it off in a drive through so the staff could hear your order. Worse yet, Ford had issued a TSB stating that it was perfectly normal and wouldn't hurt anything. That kind of ended it for me.

So are Cam Phasers in 3 valve motors a problem? Well, if you look at my experience with two in a row having issues, I'd say they might be. Are they a big issue? I don't think so at all. Most of the 3 valve modular motors run just fine for many, many miles with them. If I was looking at a used truck with a 3 valve motor though, I'd pay special attention to what kind of noises were coming from under the hood. I'd also make sure the spark plugs had been recently changed.

Getting back to the OP’s question though, I’d suggest staying away from the 2004 & 2005 F150’s. Sure there are plenty of them out there that have served their owners well with very few problems. But the 2004 model was a brand new truck with typical first year quality issues. Ford’s own internal quality data shows that 2005 was a low point in their Quality levels. (They’ve been getting better ever since.) My 2005 F-150 – purchased to avoid the first year blues – kind of proved that point even with all of the running changes that were made to address known issues.

If I had to choose between the 2004, 2005 & 2006 models the OP mentioned, I’d suggest the 2006 – just because it benefitted from more running engineering changes than the previous two years.

Hope that helps.
Well stated. I might not DQ a 5.4 right off the bat, but I would sincerely have to know that it either hasn't had the timing chain guides and tensioners self-destruct and do their damage or the engine is new and has steel tensioners and whatnot.

Either way, Ford thought lowly enough of their beancounting to pass off diesel Triton v8 engines as "normal". That's my sign.

In regards to passing on 04-05 models, I'd imagine those quirks would have been addressed by now, so they may be as safe a risk as any.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't do it. I knew of the problems that the 3-valve engines had but I decided to buy one anyway. However, I thought I was doing good by getting a 2008 that was a CPO with a warranty. I just got my truck back yesterday with a new long block installed from the Ford dealer. Turns out that the guy who owned it before me never changed the oil very often. The mechanic said there was a lot of sludge in my core and that it looked like it was being cleaned out with my 4000 mile oil changes. Long story short no oil was getting to the top of the engine and upon further inspection the cam-phasers, tensioners, solinoids, etc were all shot too. I really cannot fault the truck because it obviously was not well cared for before I owned it. I'm going to give it another chance now that I'm starting fresh with a new engine. I put 300 miles on it already and it's running great. That said I would never buy another 5.4L. It's been in the shop way too many times. This last time it was really hard to go 3 weeks without a truck. It has nickled and dimed me a lot the past few years. Radiator, fuel pump driver module, driver's side power window, blower motor resistor, etc. I could go on and on if I looked at all my parts receipts. I just think that 04-08 was a horrible era for Ford quality. After the collapse in 2008 it seems they restructured and their quality went up. You would be best served with a 2011+ imho. Might cost more but those are way better trucks.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC
Don't do it. I knew of the problems that the 3-valve engines had but I decided to buy one anyway. However, I thought I was doing good by getting a 2008 that was a CPO with a warranty. I just got my truck back yesterday with a new long block installed from the Ford dealer. Turns out that the guy who owned it before me never changed the oil very often. The mechanic said there was a lot of sludge in my core and that it looked like it was being cleaned out with my 4000 mile oil changes. Long story short no oil was getting to the top of the engine and upon further inspection the cam-phasers, tensioners, solinoids, etc were all shot too. I really cannot fault the truck because it obviously was not well cared for before I owned it. I'm going to give it another chance now that I'm starting fresh with a new engine. I put 300 miles on it already and it's running great. That said I would never buy another 5.4L. It's been in the shop way too many times. This last time it was really hard to go 3 weeks without a truck. It has nickled and dimed me a lot the past few years. Radiator, fuel pump driver module, driver's side power window, blower motor resistor, etc. I could go on and on if I looked at all my parts receipts. I just think that 04-08 was a horrible era for Ford quality. After the collapse in 2008 it seems they restructured and their quality went up. You would be best served with a 2011+ imho. Might cost more but those are way better trucks.
That sucks to hear but glad you got your truck back with a whole new engine. Hopefully everything checks out with it. I would probably pull the spark plugs out and make sure they had the anti-seize applied correctly, and that they didn't over torque them on the install. I'm going to guess that with all of this work and repair, you aren't looking to get rid of it anytime soon. So I would double check that especially with such a fresh engine.

2011+ are nice trucks for sure, but even those trucks quality is downhill. I don't believe we will see rugged quality vehicles again from any manufacturer. At least the power trains are solid in them. Small stuff like non-serviceable fuel filters, and paint issues can be lightly overlooked on them.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 PM
3vs do not go well with neglected oil changes, wouldn't go over 6500 miles with syn blend imo. I think that's where the problems come from. that and maybe cheap no name filters.

Last edited by Need4racin; 07-05-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 PM
glc
I think most people who bought a 3V new and maintained it religiously are getting many trouble free miles out of them. If you buy a USED 3V, you are rolling the dice! I'd be willing to bet that most of the people complaining about 3V issues bought them used.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 PM
trans problems are the ones that go over 30-60k fluid changes. By 55k you'll start feeling rumble stripes, trans is telling you, fluid has no additive left in it! doesn't matter how clean it looks.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:10 AM
glc
Right - and you need to do a full exchange, not just a pan drop - and that's a lifetime filter in there, no need to change it unless you have the pan off for some other reason.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:46 PM
I have 140K miles on my 05 5.4. It has been trouble free, I change the oil at 5K miles, only using a Ford filter and synthetic oil. I am on my third set of spark plugs and have not had one break. Proper servicing is the key to long engine life, but the well maintained vehicles rarely come up for sale.

Quick Reply: In the market for a 04-08 .. Need advice