2004 - 2008 F-150

Vibration Problems After Getting Towed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vibration Problems After Getting Towed!

Hey everyone, I recently posted about being in an accident where my rear axle was broken off the truck. Well with new parts and it being back on the road I notice that around 40 to maybe 60 mph a vibration or resonating through the drivetrain. I cant pin point it because it can be felt in the rear and in the front. I drove the truck with my old worn tires after it was fixed and since then installed new BFG KO2's and had them roadforce balanced. I still have the same vibration. All u-joints and connections were looked at several times and seem to be fine.

NOW! that being said, when I was towed the day of the accident the tow truck attached to my truck at the rear bumper and towed my truck backwards about 9 miles. Being that my rear driveshaft was disconnected from the transmission could this have damaged or strained anything else on my driveline? The truck was left in park and the 4wd selector was in 2wd position. I know that when these trucks are parked or off the 4wd defaults to engauge is this correct? The vacuum is removed from the IWE when the engine is off right? I thought at least the truck would have to be towed in nuetral. The front wheels did turn but not sure if anything could be damaged. Could the towing company be liable for any damage to the transmission or converter? Just not sure on this.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to explain whats going on.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to hear about your issues, I've been in an accident before with my truck and it wasn't fun.

I don' t know the answer to your question, but, I'm surprised they used a wrecker type tow truck. All the tow trucks around here(90%) are flatbeds, I HATE wreckers. I usually tell them to bring a flat bed or I call a different place that has one.

Brian

Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's electronic 4wd, the IWEs would engage without vacuum, but the transfer case would not be engaged. Basically you are spinning the front wheels, axles and front driveshaft. The rotation would end at the transfer case. not sure why they would remove the rear driveshaft and then tow with the rear wheels off the ground.
Could it be something else to do with the accident? twisted frame or something?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Possibly a bent driveshaft? Sounds like it got hit hard.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 PM
The truck was hit in the rear axle and broke the leave springs away from the frame. The drive pulled out of the transfer case and ended up hitting the ground.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM
I did think about replacing the rear driveshaft but it didnt show any signs of damage. That may be my next move.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by JETTUNER
I did think about replacing the rear driveshaft but it didnt show any signs of damage. That may be my next move.
Take it to a driveline shop and have it spun for balance and trueness.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Take it to a driveline shop and have it spun for balance and trueness.
X2. If the truck was hit hard enough to break a rear axle, the driveshaft took one hell of a hit too. And insurance should cover it as it is considered "hidden damage."

Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd be concerned about the transfer case too - and everything else in the drivelines for that matter.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would agree, have a qualified shop look at the driveshaft. Those buggers spin fast and are just as important to keep balanced as your tires, if not equally as important.

You can risk damage to seals and bearings on the output shaft of the transmission/gear case.

This is especially important if it is a 1 piece drive shaft and if it's a long one, it needs to be properly balanced or else you've got some funky harmonics coming from it.

Now if it's a 2 piece drive shaft, I'd also look at the carrier bearings and the alignment of the unit itself, as well as the driveline.

Quick Reply: Vibration Problems After Getting Towed!