2004 - 2008 F-150

FX2 w/ 2.5" leveling problem, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FX2 w/ 2.5" leveling problem, need advice

After reading the forums I put a 2.5" leveling kit on my 2007 truck last year thinking it wouldn't require more work. Got it aligned and all seemed good, I love the look now. However, the angel of the control arm is way low, highway driving is way scary in turns, tires are starting to wear on the outsides. I want to correct this so I can get new tires and correct the handling.

Question is what parts do I need to correct this. I'm thinking control arms but not sure which and if that is all.

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stein
After reading the forums I put a 2.5" leveling kit on my 2007 truck last year thinking it wouldn't require more work. Got it aligned and all seemed good, I love the look now. However, the angel of the control arm is way low, highway driving is way scary in turns, tires are starting to wear on the outsides. I want to correct this so I can get new tires and correct the handling.

Question is what parts do I need to correct this. I'm thinking control arms but not sure which and if that is all.

Thanks for reading.
You need to do only one thing - Remove. The. POS. Level. As you've noted - it's too severe for these trucks.

Then replace all components that have been damaged.

MGD

Old 03-03-2015, 03:44 PM
you sure your alignement is in spec? bad toe spec(tie-rod ends) can be it (if balljoint still good)
2,5" leveling are still pretty much maxing out what the stock balljoint can do ..so MGD suggestion isn't bad at all.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:08 AM
I have the rancho quick lift on my 07 and mine handles great. I think it may be 2" but didn't really appear to change the angles much.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You've learned what I have over the years. Leave suspension angles alone unless you want problems. I can't wait to get the drop shocks out of my truck and put a spindle drop in. Playing with shock height requires careful attention to bj and tierod angles. Mine is skittish on the highway because it's within spec, but not dialed in. I'd get that out of there are go 2" and get the Ranch or Bilstein setups and get those angle as close as you can.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too have the Rancho Quiklift setup, its advertised 2.5", but it sags to 2". However the suspension seems to appreciate it more than 2.5" so aside of that, my satisfaction with the Rancho struts keeps them in the truck.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
The 2wd and 4wd trucks use the same BJs and CAs, the 4wd just uses a different shock with the spring seated higher to raise it and it has the front driving axle parts. The 2wd truck raised to what is stock 4wd height should drive at least as well if all is in good order. A 2.5" lift for a 2wd is some little higher, but I read of others raising even 4wd trucks ..... though there comes a point where BJs are at their max angle. You say
the angel of the control arm is way low, highway driving is way scary in turns
, .... not sure what you mean but .... have you compared yours to something like ..... a stock unmolested 4wd truck?

I lowered my 4wd to about what was stock for a 2wd, maybe a hair more but not much ..... and it drives better in my opinion. I just attributed it to my redo of alighnment, like I think it's a chance it was maybe not "spot on" before?

Last edited by tbear853; 03-08-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: FX2 w/ 2.5" leveling problem, need advice