2004 - 2008 F-150

Trans fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans fault

I am in need of help guys. A few days ago my truck started hesitating going into gear after i put the column shifter on D. It would just make me wait 2 extra seconds and then work fine. Couple days later it would rev up but only creep forward no matter whether i put it at 1k rpms or 3k.

Fast forward to today and its not safe to drive and dropping out of gear randomly and revving. Anyway, it threw some codes, a P0720 and P0722. So i google it, checked coils and plugs, replaced a plug and coil. These plugs and coils are only 15k miles old, but cylinder 8 had a worn down diode on the plug.

Truck ran great yesterday when i replaced the plug and coil, started it up this morning, and it goes into limp mode and has the same codes. So i take out the oss, ohm test it, its at 464, which is within spec. Im wondering where to go from here. I only have a tuner to read codes, but if need be I do have access to a verus. If someone could tell me where to go from here that would help me a lot. Thanks guys

Old 09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
So is the transmission still slipping? I had that OSS sensor failure when I burnt the forward clutches in my transmission. Basically the truck is expecting to be moving and since it's slipping the drive shaft is not actually moving and throws that code.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:36 PM
I think that is the issue. I searched high and low for any sort of electrical problem, but im not going to rip into the transmission myself. Had my dad helping me, hes not really a car guy, so now im fixing the shifter linkage tomorrow too

Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Well good luck. All I can say is check the trans fluid first but it's unlikely that.. I've done the transmission twice in my truck... and other electrical problems. Electrical problems will put the truck into limp mode but it will still have torque at least in first gear. If it's not moving that's a guaranteed trans problem IMO...

I pulled the tranny myself with the truck on jack stands and using some 2x4s and a floor jack to lower the tranny out. You gotta pull drive shaft, Transfer case, starter (top bolt is a bitch) and cross member and skid plate. The bell housing has 6 bolts but the top 2 are kinda tricky you need a really long extension and a universal.

Even pulling the tranny myself I was about $350 for clutch plates, shift kit and gaskets online (Oregon performance) and $500 for torque converter fluid from ford. Then paid about $200 to have it rebuilt with me supplying parts.

Drives great now... for a pavement princess...

Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I will be pulling the tranny tomorrow. I have a pretty well stocked tool box at home, and if i need anything else i have access to a 3 bay shop thats loaded. Im looking for a shop now, going to get the thing rebuilt with some stronger components to handle the abuse i give it.

Thanks for the help dewd

Old 09-11-2014, 10:00 PM
before ya get into that mine was popping trans fault, not reading neutral not engaging 4L the wiring harness had a ton of slack in it, using my cousins knowledge and experience working solely on fords for years we figured it out, tightened up the harness and I have been good to go, simple fix if that's the case

Quick Reply: Trans fault