2004 - 2008 F-150

pls name this model before i go buy it today..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pls name this model before i go buy it today..

Ive looked high and low for a truck in my price range with what i want and I think I found one. It is over an hour away, and I ahve a few questions. I own jeeps so this is my first ford. Ive learned a lot about all the trims. But im confused about which trim this one actually is..they claim this truck is an fx4..yet i dont see fx4 stickers on it, only 4x4 stickers. The wheels and headlights have been changed (these are going to go first! not my style) so its hard to tell by looking at those..Id love to own an fx4..so please let me know your opinions! Cant tell if they jsut copied and pasted fx4 stats here or not so i cant actually tell if it is indeed a 5.4L with a 5.5 ft bed..thanks guys

website of truck: http://www.mainautos.com/2006_Ford_F-150_232852758.veh

Last edited by wrscpc07; 08-13-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM
From what I've learned and I may not be 100% correct so someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Fx4 is a trim package for the 4wd. Basically it has upgraded shocks, wheels, etc. I don't know it well enough to tell if it is from the pictures but they come with fx4 decals but anyone can take them off and change them.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7625088_di...4x4-fords.html

Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by greentitan05
From what I've learned and I may not be 100% correct so someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Fx4 is a trim package for the 4wd. Basically it has upgraded shocks, wheels, etc. I don't know it well enough to tell if it is from the pictures but they come with fx4 decals but anyone can take them off and change them.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7625088_di...4x4-fords.html
I guess I just dont understand why anybody would take the fx4 stickers off and put 4x4 on..Im hoping someone knows some exterior or interior differences of the trims. I wont be able to look under the hood or underneath until i go see it.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would be correct Greentitan, FX4 was a trim level from 04-14. That truck looks to be a really clean XLT, though. I don't know what the going rate for a SCab XLT truck in your neck of the woods, especially with a 5.4, but I don't think that's a bad price at all if everything is straight with the truck. I do like that the truck has the 4wd shifter in the floor. I'd run the vin on the truck to be safe.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM
I am positive this is not an FX4, the FX4 has a paint to match bumper and not chrome. In my opinion it is an XLT as that is the base level they add in the chrome bumper. Lariat would be the next step up from there but i don't think that this is one.
Things to check:

On the gauge cluster at the bottom center it says the truck if its higher then an XLT.
Mine says "Lariat", my buddies FX2 says "FX2" and the FX4 says "FX4".

See if they have the original sticker price for the car; FX4 is an add on package.

The Carfax and Vin dont include this info as its more of a trim package.

You can check under the front of the bumper and there should be a metal skid plate for the FX line, all other F150s have a plastic shroud that usually is junk, mine is crap haha.

I hope this helps, I will say though if the truck checks out mechanically this is a pretty good price for an XLT and a STEAL for an FX4.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at the interior, that is an XLT. FX4s had the flow through console, chrome rings around the gauges etc... Mind you, that looks like a clean XLT, and it has a 6.5 foot bed, not the 5.5 footer...

Pop the hood, the 5.4L is reasonably clearly labelled, have the truck thoroughly checked out by a trustworthy pro.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:26 PM

As others have said, that's an XLT, no doubt about it.

FX4s have:

Only console shifters, not column.

Body color bumpers.

"5.4 Triton" or "Triton" ONLY on the fender badges, depending on motor size.

Should have FX4 on the gauge cluster.

FX4s with cloth have FX4 stitched into the head rests. I've never seen an FX4 with a floor 4x4 shifter (but this is a HUGE positive in my opinion). FX package trucks can come with 4.6s though. That truck undoubtedly has the 6.5 ft. bed. That truck does have the Lariat chrome package grill, as well as running boards, if I'm not mistaken.

Judging by the fact that that website doesn't have an F150 listed, I assume you've bought the truck already. I'd take it to get inspected first before buying though, as I'd do with any used vehicle. That dealer evidently has no clue what that truck is if they said it was an FX4 and a 5.5 ft. bed. I agree that the head and tail lights are gross Cholo pieces and need to go. Those damn Yankee mats are just as bad though! Not sure why a 4x4 has chrome 22s and highway tires either.

If it checks out, and has a good price, it looks good. I have an 06 XLT and love it. Mine also came with chrome 22s haha.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-13-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Llama_Lariat07
You would be correct Greentitan, FX4 was a trim level from 04-14. That truck looks to be a really clean XLT, though. I don't know what the going rate for a SCab XLT truck in your neck of the woods, especially with a 5.4, but I don't think that's a bad price at all if everything is straight with the truck. I do like that the truck has the 4wd shifter in the floor. I'd run the vin on the truck to be safe.
thanks! I was thinking maybe xl or xlt too. I don't mind which trim I have, I would have just loved a fx4 of course. Either way like you said, if the truck checks out its a price im willing to pay for this truck. I already ran the vin hoping itd give me the specific trim but it didnt. But no accidents or anything negative came up!

Old 08-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by maxkobi
I am positive this is not an FX4, the FX4 has a paint to match bumper and not chrome. In my opinion it is an XLT as that is the base level they add in the chrome bumper. Lariat would be the next step up from there but i don't think that this is one.
Things to check:

On the gauge cluster at the bottom center it says the truck if its higher then an XLT.
Mine says "Lariat", my buddies FX2 says "FX2" and the FX4 says "FX4".

See if they have the original sticker price for the car; FX4 is an add on package.

The Carfax and Vin dont include this info as its more of a trim package.

You can check under the front of the bumper and there should be a metal skid plate for the FX line, all other F150s have a plastic shroud that usually is junk, mine is crap haha.

I hope this helps, I will say though if the truck checks out mechanically this is a pretty good price for an XLT and a STEAL for an FX4.
thank you. I will check the gauge cluster when im sitting in it later on today. Like you said, regardless of fx4 or not i agree its a pretty good price. Especially compared to others ive looked at. Most others for this price had at least 140k for miles.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM
That's a regular XLT. with foglight.

FX's and higher trim model have bucket seat and center console, floor shifter, color match bumper, and tophalf of mirror, and door handle. and trim written in the cluster.

lariat and kingranch are 2 tone color
Limited (offwhite) and harley are easy to spot

Last edited by maxpat82; 08-13-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most conclusive vin decoder you will find online is at etis.ford.com. Enter your vin and click a drop down menu and it will list every single thing the truck left the factory with. Many of the vin decoders online are nowhere near as detailed as this one:

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM

That is SUPER detailed! I need to save or remember that site somehow. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Well thanks guys but turns out the truck sold while i was typing all this this morning..but I found another one..05 stx with 88,000 miles for 9,000 and only an hour away.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
That's still a good deal, it looks like the headlights are hazing up but other than that it looks good.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Correction to the FX4 stats, not all FX4 trucks had the flow through center shift console. The standard base FX4 had column shift. This is actually true for the Lariat trim too. While Lariat came default with leather and the digital climate panel, the flow through console was still an optional equipment.

Quick Reply: pls name this model before i go buy it today..