2004 - 2008 F-150

How to get the center armrest apart??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get the center armrest apart??

Can anyone tell me how to get the armrest on a 40/20/40 XLT front seat apart? The vinyl surround of the cup holder was coming off, and looks as if it could be easily cemented to the plastic base plate.......but I know from experience that prying on Ford plastic can be counterproductive! There is a small door/cover under the latch that might be removable? Seems like the entire plastic storage compartment should come out of the upholstered arm rest/cushion?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by CCRider
Can anyone tell me how to get the armrest on a 40/20/40 XLT front seat apart? The vinyl surround of the cup holder was coming off, and looks as if it could be easily cemented to the plastic base plate.......but I know from experience that prying on Ford plastic can be counterproductive! There is a small door/cover under the latch that might be removable? Seems like the entire plastic storage compartment should come out of the upholstered arm rest/cushion?
I'm curious too. Mine is coming off too and it bothers the hell out of me!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 AM
The armrest in my daughter's Lariat is doing the same thing.

Anyone have any luck removing the white plastic base that up until recently the cushion was glued to?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Ford tried gluing it back together for me, no luck.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I finally broke the cushion base off of the arm, glued and stapled the cover back in place, (like recovering a motorcycle seat) and used a nylon epoxy to glue the repaired cushion back onto the arm............looks brand new, and it isn't coming off again!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I pried it up. Snapped off the ends of all the little plastic prongs holding the base to the black plastic part of the armrest. Now if I had known how to remove the black part I could have removed the arm pad from below and kept the tabs intact.

So epoxy was the remedy I used.

I did shave a bit of foam off of the bottom of the cushion before gluing it together since that's what appeared to have expanded and pushed the cushion off the base to begin with.

Quick Reply: How to get the center armrest apart??