2004 - 2008 F-150

Relocating FPDM

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating FPDM

After reading so many FPDM horror stories, I decided to check the one on my truck. Sure enough, the housing was corroded and cracked. Instead of replacing it, I decided to relocate it to the interior. I chose to mount it beneath the steering column:

Name:  Steeringcolumn_zps1241573d.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  84.5 KB

To begin, I looked up a wiring diagram for the FPDM. It has six wires

Name:  FPDMWires_zps5189def1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  75.5 KB

• White = Power from the inertia cutoff switch
• Black/yellow stripe – Ground
• Pink/black stripe = pump wire #1
• Brown/white stripe – pump wire #2
• Orange – PCM signal wire #1
• Light blue/orange stripe = PCM signal wire #2

Three of these wires can be found in the driver’s side wire channel. These are the heavy gauge white wire and the thinner orange and light blue/orange wires. I cut these wires and extended them to the area beneath the steering column. Note: all connections made in this project were soldered, then covered in heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. Furthermore, I used copper wire that had a similar diameter to those that I extended. To be sure I found the correct wires, I checked them with a multimeter in continuity mode with the pins on the FPDM connector.

Next, I cut the FPDM connector off from beneath truck. The two pump wires had to be extended to the interior of the truck. I ended up soldering one of the pump wires to the heavy gauge white wire that I cut previously. I ran a separate wire from the cab and soldered it to the second pump wire.

You will notice that the ground wire is attached to a bare silver wire. This wire is used to ground the shielding in the harness. I soldered this wire to the short length of the black/yellow wire that remained after cutting off the connector. I then covered the bare wire with electrical tape.

Name:  Finalrear_zps34bfd1c1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  118.3 KB

Finally, I grounded the FPDM to the cab using a crimp-style eyelet.

Overall, this project took me about a day, as it took me a while to run the second pump wire to the back of the truck and wrap it wiring conduit. With the trim panel in place, the FPDM can hardly be seen:

Name:  Steeringcolumn2_zps0de8d8c3.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  63.1 KB

Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good idea!
They do make a kit that spaces the fpdm off the cross member to help prevent anymore corrosion issues..
But the way you did it won't allow corrosion ever!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a lot of work for negative gain. And what I mean by that is by running that much wire, you are introducing a lot of extra resistance in the circuit path. And in a DC circuit, that's important... especially considering what this FPDM does is tell the fuel pump how much to work. The signal being off by a few milivolts could matter greatly

For anyone paying attention, I would avoid doing this mod.

I especially how you just mount the broken, cracked unit in your cab. LoL... just bite the bullet and buy a new one, the new one from Ford actually has a spacer so it's off the crossmember

Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM
damm that's a lot of rust on this frame!
Ever have it rustproofed?

My 07 have almost no rust and I live in Montreal, Canada!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 AM
I ended up buying a new one. Just a heads up, the newer Crown Vics use the same FPDM. I was able to get one on eBay for $20 shipped.

I doubt the previous owners gave a **** about this truck. In addition to the rusty frame, it also leaks gear oil from the front axle and leaks tranny oil into the transfer case. Oh and it used to leak water into the cab too!

Quick Reply: Relocating FPDM