2004 - 2008 F-150

Upper Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper Intake Manifold

My first post so please be gentile with me!

I have a 04 F150 5.4 Lariat. While driving the truck it ran fine. However, when I came to a slow stop or put it in reverse and hit the breaks it would sometimes stall.
I took the throttle body off cleaned it sparkling clean, then put it back together. Same issue. again, running fine unless coming to a slow stop or reverse.
I got a code (so sorry forgot the code number) but the code was for the intake runner control stuck open.
I removed the upper intake manifold and here is what I got. (photos and video)

Pictures and Video Here

So my question is, should I just try and clean the upper intake manifold? It has a lot of carbon build up on it. Or should I just replace it while I have it off?
Has the Upper Intake Manifold been updated so it would be worth updating to this?
If I do clean it what's the best thing to clean it with? I would also like to clean the fuel injectors while I have them out.

Also, there seems to be a vacuum hose that has an end stuck to it. I'm not sure where it goes. You can see this in the video that should be in my link.

At the dealership today I purchased new:
Intake Manifold gaskets (left and right)
Intake runner control
New gaskets for the coolant crossover
New O-rings for the fuel injectors.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I could use? All would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Interesting... how many miles on your truck?

Looks like it's done some extended idling...

Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Interesting... how many miles on your truck?

Looks like it's done some extended idling...
119k. For it to be a 10 year old truck, I'd say it's not done much travel either.

I was trying to clean the dang upper intake manifold last night and cracked it! I was trying to remove the butterflies on it as I was cleaning it. It's a very small crack but I'm a go order a new one from the dealership today.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'd check Tasca Ford Parts to do a price comparison. I don't work for them... but I've ordered parts from them and they are significantly cheaper than my local Ford Store.

You can call them, give them your vin# and spew out part numbers and/or descriptions and they will get you what you need quick.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I'd check Tasca Ford Parts to do a price comparison. I don't work for them... but I've ordered parts from them and they are significantly cheaper than my local Ford Store.

You can call them, give them your vin# and spew out part numbers and/or descriptions and they will get you what you need quick.
Yea I did a comparison last night. Would save me about 70 bucks in the end. Sucks as they don't have pictures.
Anyways, I want it so I can get her back up and running this weekend!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Just to clarify, is there a lower intake manifold? Isn't the intake manifold all one piece on your truck or is it two separate pieces?
The vacuum line goes to the metal pipe that feeds your brake booster/4WD vac. system. Can be a little tricky to hook back up, you need to get it installed before you bolt the manifold back on. Also route the knock sensor wires over the top of the butterfly linkages (as they were) or they could pinch.
Here's is a photo of my manifold after cleaning at 115K miles. Nowhere near as carboned up as yours. You may want to look into using different oils or placing a catch can in your crankcase vent lines to help keep that carbon sludge from building up.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by EBC-150
Just to clarify, is there a lower intake manifold? Isn't the intake manifold all one piece on your truck or is it two separate pieces?
The vacuum line goes to the metal pipe that feeds your brake booster/4WD vac. system. Can be a little tricky to hook back up, you need to get it installed before you bolt the manifold back on. Also route the knock sensor wires over the top of the butterfly linkages (as they were) or they could pinch.
Here's is a photo of my manifold after cleaning at 115K miles. Nowhere near as carboned up as yours. You may want to look into using different oils or placing a catch can in your crankcase vent lines to help keep that carbon sludge from building up.

Nice pic! Man, your upper intake manifold looks GREAT! Nice job on the cleaning!
I've added more pics to the album.
I have two red pipes that are coming from the back. One of those has a "plug" in it. Is that something that should be attached on this truck? It was just laid up on top of the intake manifold. I looked around and didn't see anywhere it should be "plugged" in.

Thanks for taking the time to post! It's really appreciated!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM
I see what you're talking about. My manifold doesn't even have that vacuum port drilled out ('05 4WD), so I can't help you with that. Yeah I also attempted to tear mine apart to clean it, but could tell that it just wasn't going to happen. Almost like it was glued together along with the screws. So I scrubbed away with bristle brushes and cleaner. One more thing, you are not supposed to rotate the butterflies while attached to the electric motor. Supposed to be bad for it somehow...

Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Yea, that "runner control" is the reason I had to take my truck apart. It was stuck open. Or at least that is the code that it gave me. So I already grabbed a new one. The new manifold should be here tomorrow with some new clips and plastic connectors that attach the runner control to the "butterflies" etc. So it all should be tight.

I'll grab some more pics if I get to it tomorrow night or this weekend.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Is that noise control or heat insulation around your manifold? Mine didn't have that and wondering if it was supposed to, or if they did away with it in '05?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by EBC-150
Is that noise control or heat insulation around your manifold? Mine didn't have that and wondering if it was supposed to, or if they did away with it in '05?
It's called a "SHIELD - ENGINE COMP"

http://www.fdmotorparts.com/genuine/...z-6p013-a.html

Not sure if it should be there for the 05 or not. I assume so. I think it helps keep rocks and such from damaging it. It's got two clips on it that I can remove and it will open up and then I'll add it on my new one today!

My new one should be here around 10:30 but it will be noon before I can pick it up. I'm ready!

I also have a Tonneau cover coming today as well.

Quick Reply: Upper Intake Manifold