2004 - 2008 F-150

Has anyone swapped out their 2004/2005 front bumper for a 2006-2008?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Valid points no doubt, I'm just one of the few that likes the cleaner look.
Oh I'm not arguing with you there. The round fogs look a ton better. No matter what you do with them though (short of replacing them), they don't put much usable light on the ground.

Anybody want to guess why the rectangular fogs were replaced with the round ones after just 2 years? And the answer is: Cost Reduction

Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fx4-Michael
Damn the bolts are different also? Ugh this is a headache trying to figure all this out! Ok so with the brackets being different do they bolt to the frame the same way or are there other brackets that bolt between the bumper brackets and the frame? I have yet to remove the bumper so I'm not sure how it all bolts up...
They bolt up to the same mounts, its just the '06+ are smaller. As 2stroked said, all the cost reductions in the 2006 model year Ford vehicles, they went cheaper with everything from the nuts & bolts to the bumpers and door mirrors, to the structure of the bumper and at the same time making it appeal more and saving money doing so. If I find the paper of nuts/bolts needed i'll send it your way. Had prices and part #s. At the time ( 2011 ) it all cost $60 some dollars. Not that awful. But like I said, if you have the chance to tear yours down, Fastenal may have everything in a smaller size to get the job done.

Edit:

A year ago I sold all the brackets and such to a guy on here who was going to do the conversion but sold his truck before doing so. I'll message him and see if he has the stuff and could probably sell it to ya!

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 02-24-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
They bolt up to the same mounts, its just the '06+ are smaller. As 2stroked said, all the cost reductions in the 2006 model year Ford vehicles, they went cheaper with everything from the nuts & bolts to the bumpers and door mirrors, to the structure of the bumper and at the same time making it appeal more and saving money doing so. If I find the paper of nuts/bolts needed i'll send it your way. Had prices and part #s. At the time ( 2011 ) it all cost $60 some dollars. Not that awful. But like I said, if you have the chance to tear yours down, Fastenal may have everything in a smaller size to get the job done.

Edit:

A year ago I sold all the brackets and such to a guy on here who was going to do the conversion but sold his truck before doing so. I'll message him and see if he has the stuff and could probably sell it to ya!
That would be awesome Darren! Thanks for all your support with this. I emailed the guy on Craigslist with the bumpers and I'm waiting for his reply. I so want to pull the trigger on this now that I'm finding its possible. Also I plan to keep my truck a while since it's an 05 with 82k on the clock and looks/performs great. I went to check out a new hemi ram and I was less than impressed a couple weeks back. My buddy has a '13 ecoboost fx4 and lets just leave it at that my truck is faster

Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 PM

My buddy has a '13 ecoboost fx4 and lets just leave it at that my truck is faster
Sure it is

Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Sure it is
K&N intake, high flow cats, exhaust and Superchips tuner. The ecoboost is a fast truck but I beat him. Thats all I can say before we get off topic from the bumper swap and banned for talking about racing lol

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM

K&N intake, high flow cats, exhaust and Superchips tuner. The ecoboost is a fast truck but I beat him. Thats all I can say before we get off topic from the bumper swap and banned for talking about racing lol
I can tell you right now that he's a God-awful driver or he wasn't trying. I have long tube headers, no cats, Gotts mod, and actual custom tuning and even a 5.0 beats my *** bad and my buddy's eco can tear me a new butt h0le. And that difference isn't in the drivers on that.

I genuinely thought you were joking lol. Our trucks are quite slow. I wasn't trying to start an argument before, and this isn't the place for it, but I'll wait for others to agree with me. I work at a dealership and have driven 100s of 04-10s and 11+s and the difference isn't even close.

We're allowed to talk about racing though haha.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 02-24-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Well I did have the better reaction to the light and got about 3/4 of a truck jump on him but he didn't get past my bed until I left off at 80. I don't plan to race him again or anyone else for that matter. The ecoboosts are amazing trucks and it was going to be my next one ('14 Tremor) but it came out to be almost a 50k regular cab truck and that's just ridiculous.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM

Well I did have the better reaction to the light and got about 3/4 of a truck jump on him but he didn't get past my bed until I left off at 80. I don't plan to race him again or anyone else for that matter. The ecoboosts are amazing trucks and it was going to be my next one ('14 Tremor) but it came out to be almost a 50k regular cab truck and that's just ridiculous.
That's still surprising, but cool bragging rights. That's all truck vs truck too cause your mods haven't done much in the performance dep't, and even mine haven't.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 PM

That would be awesome Darren! Thanks for all your support with this. I emailed the guy on Craigslist with the bumpers and I'm waiting for his reply. I so want to pull the trigger on this now that I'm finding its possible. Also I plan to keep my truck a while since it's an 05 with 82k on the clock and looks/performs great. I went to check out a new hemi ram and I was less than impressed a couple weeks back. My buddy has a '13 ecoboost fx4 and lets just leave it at that my truck is faster
I got a facebook message back from him and he still has the brackets. I will PM you his email as he can't remember his login info.

As for Ecoboost and being quick? well, yeah.

Hopefully that Roush is a stock 8psi tune!

This really surprised me though,

But this really REALLY surprised me,

Being the F-body lover that I am, it almost hurts! . The 6 speed transmission is awesome though, such a low and strong first gear, instant pull power!

But anyway, back to the bumpers

Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Appreciate everything you have done to help with this DarrenWS6!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 PM

Appreciate everything you have done to help with this DarrenWS6!
No problems. I don't know a whole, whole lot, but what I have researched and the help I wanted when researching, I pass it along .

Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 PM

And those are why I said what I said about the EB

All three EB drivers were good though and dug nicely off the line

Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Well I picked up the bumpers today. DarrenWS6 put me in contact with who he sold his brackets to and ill be getting those soon, ordering fog lights and installing it all to mock it up. After that ill bedline them. Stay tuned....

Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I'm definitely looking forward to it.
x2!

Quick Reply: Has anyone swapped out their 2004/2005 front bumper for a 2006-2008?