2004 - 2008 F-150

someone help oit of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
someone help oit of ideas

So bought an 07 f150 supercrew xlt 5.4l 3v 112000km when I purchased. Ran great for a few months then started having knocking and stalling problems. Took it to jubilee ford saskatoon and they found it to be bad phasers. So they replaced the phasers and solenoids and $3000 later the truck runs perfect. 30 days later the problem is back take the truck back to the dealership and they then find the problem to be a bad crank. So we pull the motor and start the rebuild. Find the thrust bearing in the oil pan and front main minutes from failure. So new crank new bearings new oil pump all you basic rebuild parts and then some. Get the heads rebuilt with the cams checked and polished. Reassemble with new phasers and solenoids yet again. Turn key start s runs great till it gets warm. Now back to were we began when engine is warm and you let off the throttle cams over retard and get stuck engine shakes and sputters till you get back on the throttle. Ford says should buy a crate engine. Can anyone help what can cause this phaser issue.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 PM
The phaser issue is normally caused by low oil pressure to the phasers. Typically low oil pressure is caused by sludge or oil filter pieces.
I would say blockage in the block is the suspected problem and that's why they suggested new motor. Why didn't they recommend that once they found the crank and bearings gone is beyond me.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Did some more trouble shooting today and the phasers seem to be working perfectly. The problem sounds like the tensioner on the passenger side is losing pressure. Once back on the throttle it straightens out. This makes me thinkthe slack is carrying over to the top side causing the cam to over retard. Going to try new tensioners and arms will let know if this solves the problem. If aanyone has done this and has any tips greatly appreciated.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Smile update

well found the problem to be a partial blockage in the back of the pass side head which is causing the lifters to fail back to front and then the phaser to lose its oil pressure. simple temporary fix was to up the idle with my edge cs by 275rpm which keeps the oil pressure up and no more timing issues and no more failed lifters. if anyone else has a similar issue try upping you idle

Old 02-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Good job reporting back so this can help some other folks in the future

Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Good job reporting back so this can help some other folks in the future
Yep...

Just keep raising the rpm as the partial blockage gradually becomes a full one.

What could be simpler?

MGD

Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yep...

Just keep raising the rpm as the partial blockage gradually becomes a full one.

What could be simpler?

MGD
he did say it was a temporary fix

Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Sounds very similar to my problem, is this fix still working for you with the idle speed upped? Is there a way to up the idle without a programmer? For example perhaps taking it to a mechanic with the same machine ford uses, not just a auto zone one perhaps? Or?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it were mine, the solution/fix would be get the hell rid of it, and not go back to that dealer since they didn't replace it the second time after the crank issue.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
It is just a temporary fix and as far as I know it is not possible for ford to raise your idle at least that is what the service department told me. The raised idle is still keeping the oil pressure up. I am running synthetic oil and a ford filter and since the rebuild and the oil is very clean at changes. So I believe the blockage has not gotten any worse. The blockage in the back of the head is a serviceable orifice so once it warms up here the head will come off and I will clear the blockage. I will give updates once that is complete with any tips.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You can try an AutoRX treatment if you think it's sludge that's causing the blockage.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:34 AM
thanks glc but i am pretty sure it is left over shavings from the thrust bearing piling up. but i will keep that in mind for my other high mile vehicles might bring some new life to my 97 f150 seeing its at 440,000km.

Quick Reply: someone help oit of ideas