2004 - 2008 F-150

Finally - good pics and new mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I know I'll get attached! I get attached to everything haha. Hopefully the truck and mustang will have separate roles for me, and that way stay special/needed in their own way. The mustang will definitely be getting cam'd - so many mods that can be done. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of exterior mods on them though, so most of it will be performance oriented.

I've thought about getting an older R6 to drive around on non-highway trips (bikes still scare me when going too fast!), but I know that thing would have a new mid-pipe, slip-on, and be tuned before a week was up . . .

I'd always wanted to know the story behind WS6, figured you had one at some point. Why'd you get rid of it? Just needed something different?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM
nice truck! I've probably seen you around as well. i live in the conroe area but i'm always driving through houston to league city

Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Oh, I know I'll get attached! I get attached to everything haha. Hopefully the truck and mustang will have separate roles for me, and that way stay special/needed in their own way. The mustang will definitely be getting cam'd - so many mods that can be done. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of exterior mods on them though, so most of it will be performance oriented.

I've thought about getting an older R6 to drive around on non-highway trips (bikes still scare me when going too fast!), but I know that thing would have a new mid-pipe, slip-on, and be tuned before a week was up . . .

I'd always wanted to know the story behind WS6, figured you had one at some point. Why'd you get rid of it? Just needed something different?
Pretty much. I babied the hell out of it, never would go on dirt/gravel, or rough streets. Never wanted to leave it in shopping mall parking lots, never drove it in the winter. Parents bought it and gave me the keys, was a lucky highschool kid. Another reason I never abused it, aside of the fact that I love F-body cars with a crazy passion. I sold it and was able to keep 50% of the money to start things on my own. So far things have worked out. Have had trucks since.A 2005 Silverado 2500HD, 2004 F-150, and my current 2007 F-150.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Pretty much. I babied the hell out of it, never would go on dirt/gravel, or rough streets. Never wanted to leave it in shopping mall parking lots, never drove it in the winter. Parents bought it and gave me the keys, was a lucky highschool kid. Another reason I never abused it, aside of the fact that I love F-body cars with a crazy passion. I sold it and was able to keep 50% of the money to start things on my own. So far things have worked out. Have had trucks since.A 2005 Silverado 2500HD, 2004 F-150, and my current 2007 F-150.
I've wanted a Mustang for as long as I could remember, but my parents wouldn't let me have a GT, so you are lucky! And then my dad went and bought his 2007! I used to have a new body style 2000 Suburban, was a great truck, but it blew up a brand new tranny and got rid of it. I drove my mom's 2006 Acura TL cause she got a new Yukon. I drove that for a couple weeks before I couldn't stand being a Japanese car any longer and they traded it in and I bought my truck. I wanted a Mustang then, but my parents pulled the "I'm paying for your college" card on me and wouldn't approve the Mustang purchase. It was money well spent though, and I can't see myself going back and doing anything differently. I'd being longing for a 5.0 if I had gotten an 05-09 mustang anyway!

Originally Posted by 97isnotold
nice truck! I've probably seen you around as well. i live in the conroe area but i'm always driving through houston to league city
Thanks! I've tried to think if I've seen you every time I see the Conroe in your corner, but don't know if I have.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 PM

So I finally got the lights on today! I put 2 on the bar behind the grill, then put 2 on the bullbar. I think they look a little too small, so I may put all 4 behind the grill if the light can get out good enough, then get a pair of KCs or a full LED light bar for the bullbar.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone quality pics, but that's all I got. 2 of them are flood, and 2 are spot, or so I assume. 2 of the reflective cones are smooth, and the other two are wavy like a Ruffles potato chip. They aren't hooked up yet though, cause I still don't know what kind of wiring kit I need and I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff . . .

Last edited by KMAC0694; 09-20-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 PM

Nice lights but they do look a little lost down on the bull bar; I really like your idea of pulling them up behind the grille and filling up the bull bar with some KCs!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely glad I didn't buy a set of RIGIDs in the same size like I almost did prior to getting these! I looked at it today and I may drill 2 more holes to put them all on the bull bar, but probably stuff them all behind the grill if the light output is good enough. They're so tiny I barely noticed them this weekend during my numerous walk-away-and-stare-at-my-truck-in-the-parking-lot incidents.

I have my XLT grill still, which would eliminate the lighting issue, but I don't want to switch back to that. I know LEDs are cool and all, but they're ugly as sin haha. And I love how traditional round lights look, so I probably will get some no matter what eventually.

And thanks Desert Dawg!

Last edited by KMAC0694; 09-24-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 AM

I've really been wanting to swap my Smittybilt bullbar out for a Smittybilt light bar recently. I was never really all that big a fan of how bullbars look. Very mad that I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to pick a light bar up, along with four 6" KCs, about 2 months back for $50 because I thought it was ugly. Don't have that opinion anymore! I was trying to be responsible and not continue to stockpile parts that I wasn't going to use . . . The ex-girlfriend also said that the light bar looked ugly at the time. Emphasis on the "ex" there

So, I know this picture is of horrendous quality, but I drove past the truck and then threw mine into park around the corner and ran over to snap the pic. So, does anyone think this actually looks good? This is exactly how my 4 lights would look on the same bar. I think the damn LEDs still look way too small and out of place quite frankly. Sort of glad I hadn't pulled the trigger on the bar prior to seeing this.

I always liked your "trademark" light bar, Desert Dawg. Should've just bought the damn thing and lights and saved myself like $400 haha

Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM

I'd have to agree the lights look a tad tiny on the bar, much better putting them behind the grill and running an LED light bar or larger KC's on there. I think you'd be able to fit a 20" LED light bar on the bull bar without any problems. But that's mainly for the look of things, less performance in my opinion to go straight with that suggestion before considering other alternatives.

As for a light bar to mount the lights, I guess it depends on whether or not you like the style. Personally, I love light bars, I almost got one until I got stuck really bad and felt a winch bumper and winch was a better front-end investment. While the lights are a little small, I wouldn't frown on a truck with four small square lights on a bar. In fact, there's a truck here in North Carolina, on Fort Bragg with four Rigid Industries Dually LED lights, two spot and two flood on a light bar. The light output is pretty impressive.

If I were you, I'd keep the bull bar. It matches the look of your truck, beefy and tough, and the black matches the wheels. Also, try to find out just how much light those lights put out before you go with placement. Try to see if the grill hinders light output. I have lights behind my grill, honeycomb as well, but I don't have the "H" grill, so you might have a little vertical block with the lights. But if you can live with it, power to you. If you feel you get your light's worth placing them behind the grill, then that's what I would do...then add a 20" LED light bar.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by phattacorider
I'd have to agree the lights look a tad tiny on the bar, much better putting them behind the grill and running an LED light bar or larger KC's on there. I think you'd be able to fit a 20" LED light bar on the bull bar without any problems. But that's mainly for the look of things, less performance in my opinion to go straight with that suggestion before considering other alternatives.

As for a light bar to mount the lights, I guess it depends on whether or not you like the style. Personally, I love light bars, I almost got one until I got stuck really bad and felt a winch bumper and winch was a better front-end investment. While the lights are a little small, I wouldn't frown on a truck with four small square lights on a bar. In fact, there's a truck here in North Carolina, on Fort Bragg with four Rigid Industries Dually LED lights, two spot and two flood on a light bar. The light output is pretty impressive.

If I were you, I'd keep the bull bar. It matches the look of your truck, beefy and tough, and the black matches the wheels. Also, try to find out just how much light those lights put out before you go with placement. Try to see if the grill hinders light output. I have lights behind my grill, honeycomb as well, but I don't have the "H" grill, so you might have a little vertical block with the lights. But if you can live with it, power to you. If you feel you get your light's worth placing them behind the grill, then that's what I would do...then add a 20" LED light bar.
I agree with all of that, thanks! Getting them wired up will tell me everything I want to know. I do want to come up with a way to get all 4 onto that bullbar if the grill hinders too much. I still have my honeycomb, but I really like the H, so I'd be hard-pressed to switch back. I'm going to look into a lighting kit this weekend, so hopefully I'll at least have something on order by Sunday night.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM

It's actually quite easy to get them wired up. It really depends on how you want them switched, either with a hard switch hooked up in the cab or hooked to some other source like high beam. I prefer switches on everything, so I can turn them on and off independently of any other function on the truck. Just get power to a switch, then another wire from the switch to the number 86 connector on a relay. then number 85 connector, just connect that to ground. This way if you turn on the switch, it activates the relay. So connect a wire from the battery to connector number 30 on the relay, then hook up connector number 87 to the positive wires of your lights, and connect the negative wires to the chassis somewhere. Just put a fuse on the wire going from the battery to the switch, and then one going from the battery to the relay. That's who I have all 3 of my relays hooked up for my lighting.

But as soon as you get power to those lights and get some illumination, get us some pix!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 AM
lookin good brudda! do you happen to have the part# for the tailgate badge/marker? thats the only one i need to order.... or its getting a saleen S281 badge, lol! thanks

Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by phattacorider
It's actually quite easy to get them wired up. It really depends on how you want them switched, either with a hard switch hooked up in the cab or hooked to some other source like high beam. I prefer switches on everything, so I can turn them on and off independently of any other function on the truck. Just get power to a switch, then another wire from the switch to the number 86 connector on a relay. then number 85 connector, just connect that to ground. This way if you turn on the switch, it activates the relay. So connect a wire from the battery to connector number 30 on the relay, then hook up connector number 87 to the positive wires of your lights, and connect the negative wires to the chassis somewhere. Just put a fuse on the wire going from the battery to the switch, and then one going from the battery to the relay. That's who I have all 3 of my relays hooked up for my lighting.

But as soon as you get power to those lights and get some illumination, get us some pix!
That's actually VERY helpful! Did you have "kits" for yours or just piece them together part by part? (I actually went and got a lot of the parts and then returned them lol) I'm looking for something with inline fuses already on the 2 wires and some of the other things already together to eliminate some of the guessing on my end.

Originally Posted by RANGERansom
lookin good brudda! do you happen to have the part# for the tailgate badge/marker? thats the only one i need to order.... or its getting a saleen S281 badge, lol! thanks
Thanks man! I shall look it up because I know that I'll know it when I see it

Edit: pretty sure this is it
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...e-emblems.html
And Tasca is pretty good if you call them to verify

Last edited by KMAC0694; 10-02-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM

I wired everything man. I've seen relay kits with fuses everywhere, but since I begn testing different confgurations, numerous lights on a single relay (all within power specs), single switch with several relays, wiring a set to my fog lights, getting an actual kit just didn't seem economical. Also, I like doing all the wiring myself, I specify my own placement without worrying if the wires are long enough, I use all heat shunk connectors, my own wiring loom, all the wires are cut to length, it can be quite a bit more work though. It all depends on your knowledge, your availability to tinker, your acceptance of error, and how much time and tools you have for the job. You can find wiring harnesses are abundant though and can be found everywhere online, and I'm sure in many auto parts stores. Just be careful the kit you get because many of them operate on some sort of existing switch, instead of hooking up to a hard switch in the dash, many kits splice into the high beam. So if you get a kit, just make sure it has a switch inline. If you can't find one, check out the forum, there are a lot of write-ups of people who have installed external lighting.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM

I just haven't full-on delved into it yet. A lot of what I've seen says it's applicable only to 2 lights, but I know I can do all 4 on the same relay and switch, which is what I want and how they were when I removed them. I'll try to figure out exactly what I need. Definitely don't want to order something and not have it be right for what I need. I took a wiring/electricity shop class in high school, should remember a lot more than what I do . . .

Quick Reply: Finally - good pics and new mods