2004 - 2008 F-150

Won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start...

2005 F150... It was running fine last night when I went and got dinner... I go to head to work this morning and it will not start.

Lights and radio seem to be working just fine but it is not even pretending to turn over and it is not making any kind of clicking noises at all. Someone mentioned possible anti-theft device but, aside from the blink theft deterrent light, I didn't even know I had one.

In case it isn't painfully obvious, I have no idea what the hell I am talking about when it comes to vehicles so I would appreciate any thoughts or advice and if it could be delivered in idiot-speak, I would appreciate that as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Big
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to "jump" it, that's what I'd do first... By jump I mean jumper cables from some other vehicle to your battery.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Do you know if the battery has ever been replaced? If not, then theres a good chance the stock battery finally went bad. Even if it has been replaced, try to jump start it. Could also be a corroded FPDM, but try to jump start it first.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Didn't know a FPDM would prevent it from turning over.

Dead battery, corroded cables, dead relay/solenoid, bad MLPS (neutral safety switch). Plant your foot on the brake, put it in neutral and try it. Try all the other gear positions too.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Didn't know a FPDM would prevent it from turning over.
My bad, I was tired last night and just saw "Won't start" and started typing

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did the same thing a couple months ago. Everything would light up and turn on but the truck wouldn't turn over. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and it's been fine since.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
I am going to try the power-cycling again today... Not sure how to test the neutral safety switch... Not sure about whether the battery has been replaced but jumping it made no difference what so ever and I have full radio and lights.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I really can't afford to take this thing into a garage right now. Does anyone know how to reset/test the stock anti-theft?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other possibility. If it is trying but not turning over, check to make sure the AC compressor is not locked up. That happened to me. It would not allow the belt to move, stopping it from turning over.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Crimson
Not sure how to test the neutral safety switch...
This:

Originally Posted by glc
Plant your foot on the brake, put it in neutral and try it. Try all the other gear positions too.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Ok... the problem seems to have been the neutral safety switch. Got it started, took it out for a spin around the block, came home and turned it off and tested it again. Started up right off the bat in park.

So, now, my question is whether or not this is going to happen again... Do I have to worry about it randomly not starting every time i try to go someplace? Am I going to get stranded and unable to get it going again? Should I get this switch replaced and, if so, how would I go about it?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crimson
Ok... the problem seems to have been the neutral safety switch. Got it started, took it out for a spin around the block, came home and turned it off and tested it again. Started up right off the bat in park.

So, now, my question is whether or not this is going to happen again... Do I have to worry about it randomly not starting every time i try to go someplace? Am I going to get stranded and unable to get it going again? Should I get this switch replaced and, if so, how would I go about it?
I wouldn't worry too much about it as it took 8 years for it to happen the first time. Electronics do age, just like anything else.

Last edited by kingfish51; 04-25-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Won't start...