2004 - 2008 F-150

How did you fix your third brake light leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you fix your third brake light leak?

Last edited by jdeacon; 06-10-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't fixed mine yet as I'm in limbo on whether I'll keep the truck or go back to a Mustang GT. My long comute to work and the rising gas prices making me think more of going with an 05 or newr GT. AS the leak as well as I still need to get the plugs done on this thing are the 2 things I have to decide on do I take care of them and keep the truck or just get rid of it and get a Mustang GT. If I do end up keeping the truck I'll get an aftermarket 3rd brake light as they are either cheaper or about the same as a stock OEM one. I can get from my dealerships parts department as I priced one there. I called for the gasket they said they don't sell just the gasket anymore have to get the hole assembley. They quoted 112 dollars plus tax for it seen some after markets as low as 65 on the internet with LED lights so may get one of them if I keep the truck.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 AM
get rid of the gasket and silicone it. thats what i did to mine.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdeacon
A few weeks ago I started noticing water running down the inside of the back window on my 04 f150. Did the soapy water test like the TSB calls for and it confirmed the leak. Read through a million articles on here about how everyone fixed it by throwing some silicone on there. So last weekend I took the cover off, replaced the bulbs, cleaned it up, and put a single good sized bead of exterior grade silicone on top of the gasket and all the way around it. Well tonight I go out to my truck and it is still leaking.

So what I am asking is should I being doing this a different way? More silicone? Remove the factory gasket and re silicone? Or just add silicone in the gap between the cover and the truck? I am honestly thinking about tearing off the factory gasket and making my own out of butyl tape as I have done this numerous times on old Nissans that you cant get parts for anymore. Anyways I would greatly appreciate any help as its only getting worse and I live in the rainy pnw and another storm is coming! Thanks in advance!
If you've got a nice truck, silicone is not the neatest fix in the world. What I would do is go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the appropriate size foam rubber weather stripping like is used for household gap sealing, (generally gray). I comes in a lot of different widths and thickness and is actually pretty good stuff. (kind with the self adhesive and the peel of liner) Stuff is easy to bend around the corners and sticks well. (put it on the light, not the cab) Just use a good contact adhesive to join the ends where they meet. Butyl tape is an outstanding product but if you ever have to take it off (like to change a bulb) you have a mess on your hands (literally).

Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM
After a couple of tries to seal mine, I bought a replacement LED unit on e-bay for under $40 that came with a much thicker foam gasket. It sealed the leak and looks great.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
actually permatex clear sealant should be used rather than silicone....

Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
actually permatex clear sealant should be used rather than silicone....
http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories

their webiste has dozens of options. can you be a little more specific as to which one to use? i would think the rtv silicone or the window silicone would be the best, but both of those have silicone??

Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Voo
Do they leak on all cab styles? I have never had a leak or even replaced a bulb on mine. I think its about the only outside bulb I haven't replaced. The rest I have replaced in pairs. If a twilight goes out I replaced all the tail and marker lights. Same thing with headlights etc. I don't think I have replaced any bulbs inside the truck either.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Voo
Do they leak on all cab styles? I have never had a leak or even replaced a bulb on mine. I think its about the only outside bulb I haven't replaced. The rest I have replaced in pairs. If a twilight goes out I replaced all the tail and marker lights. Same thing with headlights etc. I don't think I have replaced any bulbs inside the truck either.
I think it affects all cab styles. I have a regular cab and mine has started the leak or I noticed it little over a month ago after a long steady rain.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah I had this issue as well on my 07 regular cab f150. It is a common problem on all cabs. Take it off clean up the area of where it mates together, buy some silicon gasket sealant from auto parts store maybe new bulbs while your at it and apply. Be careful it can be messy and you want a decently thick bead.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
i used high temp gasket sealer. the red color. looks great and will hold if my truck ever catches fire.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Big
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hmustang
I haven't fixed mine yet as I'm in limbo on whether I'll keep the truck or go back to a Mustang GT. My long comute to work and the rising gas prices making me think more of going with an 05 or newr GT. AS the leak as well as I still need to get the plugs done on this thing are the 2 things I have to decide on do I take care of them and keep the truck or just get rid of it and get a Mustang GT. If I do end up keeping the truck I'll get an aftermarket 3rd brake light as they are either cheaper or about the same as a stock OEM one. I can get from my dealerships parts department as I priced one there. I called for the gasket they said they don't sell just the gasket anymore have to get the hole assembley. They quoted 112 dollars plus tax for it seen some after markets as low as 65 on the internet with LED lights so may get one of them if I keep the truck.
Not to change topics, but I don't think I'd get a pre-2011 Mustang. 2011 is when they upped the HP on the V6 to something like 315 and the GT to 400 something. I've thought about this myself, but just like my truck too much to actually do it!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Big
Not to change topics, but I don't think I'd get a pre-2011 Mustang. 2011 is when they upped the HP on the V6 to something like 315 and the GT to 400 something.
The problem here is that if you go this route, you have to live with the "Ugly Duckling" styling of the 2010+ models. The 2005-2009 body style is infinitely more attractive than the current Mustang.....

Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I have a friend that's a ford tech so I went with the new brake light. The new light is redesigned so as not to leak hopefully. Seems OK so far. I just don't like the idea of caulking something that's made to be removable. I'm just **** like that.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
The problem here is that if you go this route, you have to live with the "Ugly Duckling" styling of the 2010+ models. The 2005-2009 body style is infinitely more attractive than the current Mustang.....
Purely subjective. I actually prefer the newer 2010+ models, as the syling is more aggressive than the 05-09 version. To me, the 05-09 is akin to the '64-'68 'Stangs, and the 2010+ looks like the '69-'70 models. The 05-09 Mustangs I see usually have a 40+ year old woman behind the wheel. The 2010+ models have the 20/30-something guys/girls in them, lol.

Quick Reply: How did you fix your third brake light leak?