2004 - 2008 F-150

3.73 LS 8.8 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.73 LS 8.8 Questions

I'll make it a very simple question hope to get a simple answer.

havent found anything or anyone to ask that really knows hope someone does.

What could happen/happens if there is to much modifier(xl3) added?

For some odd reason im thinking i put to much in mine, and might sound stupid, but it feels like its slipping and im not hooking up as good as i used to.

i dont know how much is actually in it other then at least one bottle.

and my LS still works just seems like it takes longer to work(letting the free tire spin longer before it locks) however i can jack one tire up and with the help of the e-brake drive right off. but im forcing it to lock so i dont see that being a good test.

so just need to know what happens or could happen if there happens to be to much modifier in there. and if thats what im feeling doing that?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 AM
It could definitely be from having too much. I can't remember which way it works but I'm pretty sure it was if you add too much it makes it work like an open diff and causes it to wear out and if you don't add enough it can cause chattering around turns and possibly for it to lock up.

Last edited by pizzaman711; 02-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 AM
i did get an answer on the dont have enough, that it would do what you said. but no one knew about having to much.

my best guess is there is about 10oz in there. and been that way for about 3-4 months with about 1200miles. guess i should go ahead and change it out, just to be sure. of course 75w140 isnt on sale for buy one get two free, but neither is a new clutch pack. think im going to change it and be sure i add one bottle of xl3 4oz only. thanks.

would it be wise to clean it all out with brake clean ect, wondering how much left over modifier will be stuck on the clutches ect ?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
In my comprehension:
modifier help the clutches to slip...not stick.

clutch pack: once it start to slip..it won't grip back unless you release throtle to have the wheel stop spinning.

too much modifier will only reduce the "locking" capacity.

Quick Reply: 3.73 LS 8.8 Questions