2004 - 2008 F-150

Your Opinion Please - 2007 Screw

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Opinion Please - 2007 Screw

I have a 2007 Screw 4x4 with just over 100,000 miles on it. I have been looking into what I want to do with this truck (which is my daily driver) when I need to get a new set of tires.
This truck is not used for off-roading as I use my 1991 Bronco for that, howevr, I do want to beef up my F150 with larger tires and a lift of some kind. I have done a lot of reading on this site and have come up with what I think is accurate as it relates to bigger tires and lifts.
If I want to go with 35" tires (on my stock 20" wheels) I believe that I have the following options:

2" level
4" suspension lift
6" suspension lift

There is quite a price difference between the 2" level kit and the 6" lift and I was wondering if I am missing anything as to why I would spend so much more $$ for the 6" (or 4" for that matter) lift to fit the same size tire that I could fit with a 2" level kit?
Is the obvious reason of the truck being 4" (or 2") higher the only reason?
Am I missing or not thinking of something else?

Ideally, I would love to get the 6" lift with 37" tires and regear, however, from what I have read it does not appear as if that is possible.
I am not sure I like the look of how much of a gap there is with 6" of lift and only 35" tires.

Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2" level with 33"'s......go over 34" tires and its time to regearplus you'll need to get a programmer to adjust the tire size so the speedometer reads correctly....

With any tire over the stock size you'll lose mpgs....going to be rough on the pocket book for gas....since this your DD

Last edited by 88racing; 02-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM
The truck looks better the way it is.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
2" level with 33"'s......go over 34" tires and its time to regearplus you'll need to get a programmer to adjust the tire size so the speedometer reads correctly....

With any tire over the stock size you'll lose mpgs....going to be rough on the pocket book for gas....since this your DD
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking a tire size over 35" would need new gears. I will definitely keep that in mind if I look to get anything over a 33" tire.
I have taken into consideration the need to reprogram to keep the speedometer accurate and I have already accepted the fact that this truck is a gas guzzler (the same can be true for all four blue ovals in my driveway as none of them take gas mileage into consideration).

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC
The truck looks better the way it is.
Thanks for the compliment, however, I have the itch to do something to the truck and I am only just beginning to put together ideas and options.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
I would do a 2.5 leveling kit, and get a nice big 35 ish size tire to run on your stock 20s. I would not run 33s on that truck with a leveling kit, they will just look to small, the truck will tower that tire and wheel combo. The truck will look way better with the 35ish tires( bc some are 34-35 inches) it will look sophisticated or classy lifted with the complimenting of nice wheel, thick tire on a tall sitting truck. I wouldnt worry about regearing with 35s on a leveled truck, invest in a programmer like the Edge and it will help out a little and fix speedo, all of that. Plus a very good investment anyways in my opinion.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-22-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by tman07f150
I would do a 2.5 leveling kit, and get a nice big 35 ish size tire to run on your stock 20s. I would not run 33s on that truck with a leveling kit, they will just look to small, the truck will tower that tire and wheel combo. The truck will look way better with the 35ish tires( bc some are 34-35 inches) it will look sophisticated or classy lifted with the complimenting of nice wheel, thick tire on a tall sitting truck. I wouldnt worry about regearing with 35s on a leveled truck, invest in a programmer like the Edge and it will help out a little and fix speedo, all of that. Plus a very good investment anyways in my opinion.
Thanks for the reply. That may very well be what I end up doing. Altough I will need to take another look at leveling kits as I thought my model year would be better (or more level) with a 2" level kit.
Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry, I wouldn't run 35's without re-gearing. I'd want a minimum of 4.10's, but 4.56's is the better option. I've heard of a few guys running the 35's with the 3.55 gears and wince when I think of how rough that is on the drivetrain, much less how much of a dog it makes the truck on acceleration.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Sorry, I wouldn't run 35's without re-gearing. I'd want a minimum of 4.10's, but 4.56's is the better option. I've heard of a few guys running the 35's with the 3.55 gears and wince when I think of how rough that is on the drivetrain, much less how much of a dog it makes the truck on acceleration.
Thanks for the comments. If I were to decide on 35" tires I would indeed more than likely look at regearing as well.
Still more things to look into as I am in no hurry to make and changes/upgrades at this point.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
hey fellow fsber, leveling kit just puts the ball joints at an angle. You might just stick 33's on the truck with no leveling kit.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Need4racin
hey fellow fsber, leveling kit just puts the ball joints at an angle. You might just stick 33's on the truck with no leveling kit.
Hello indeed fsber - looks like you have quite the stable of Broncos!

As I am in no hurry to do anything to the F150 and the more I look into it the more issues I would need to address for my daily driver, I may end up turning my attention to the Bronco and see what I might do to it (for starters I need to get the beast running again!).

Thanks for the comments!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Voo
I'm not sure with the factory 20's what your tire options are exactly. But there are several around where I live that look like they bumped em up a size or two and they look very nice.

There is one truck in particular I am thinking of. If I can figure who it is I'll ask him what all he has done to his truck. It looks pretty stock, just tougher. If you know what I mean. I really like the look. Your truck is so sweet as it is I wouldn't do much to it.

The only reason to spend more on one vs another is to get better suspension movement off road. I have to agree with SoonerTruck much bigger tires and no gears and you will end up hating the truck.

When you are spending as much as it costs to lift and to regear its tough to not get radical and "get your money's worth". But as has been said your truck is too nice to make a mudder out of but at the same time it will have a 100k on it and you don't want to throw a bunch of money at it unless you are positive you will be keeping it for a long long time.

Good Luck with what you decide and let us know. I am thinking about doing something along the lines of what you are considering - except I don't have the truck I want to do it on yet. Mine has 200k and I just cant convince myself to spend anything much on it other than repairs.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Personaly I would leave it as is but if you got to do something just do a leveling kit,Once a Truck is lifted much more than 4" it just becomes a toy & is not very useful for hauling stuff & becomes hard to get in & out of not to mention much reduced fuel economy.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Miseroth- I agree I would def do a 2 inch. 2.5 will have you sitting a tad higher in the front more likely or little past level. If you choose a good tire size 34 ish, and run a programmer I think you will be ok without regearing. Sure you might want to eventually someday if you decide to go 35s+, or you want your stock pep back but I think honestly it would be alright. Bolt ons (intake, exhaust) and a programmer, running lets say 296/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers 34.45 inches tall (all terrains) not to bad. Nice truck and good luck! 33s would look ok but not as great!!

Last edited by tman07f150; 03-02-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
FWIW - my truck has 3.73 gears with limited slip.
Probably still not the best if I were to get 35" tires but I assume that is better than 3.55 gears mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Your Opinion Please - 2007 Screw