2004 - 2008 F-150

$1,350.00 Maint bill

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1,350.00 Maint bill

Took the truck into Ford Service today for the following problems:

1. Stuttering on WOT
2. Stumbling after letting off gas pedal (after cruising at steady speed)
3. Spongy Brake Pedal and annoying squeek
4. Weird Starter sound (sounded like metal on metal)
5. Trans Flush

Turns out to fix all these problems the total bill will cost $1350.00.

Problems #1 & #2 above are due to bad plugs (multiple misses, COP seem fine they said) $450 plug change

Problem #3 is due to a bad Master Cylinder (Isn't there a TSB for this...still searching for it) $329 Master Cylinder replace/install

Problem #4 is what is called a "Starter Bindex"!? $312 starter/install
The Bendix system places the starter drive pinion on a helically-cut driveshaft. When the starter motor begins turning, the inertia of the drive pinion assembly causes it to ride forward on the helix and thus engage with the ring gear. When the engine starts, backdrive from the ring gear causes the drive pinion to exceed the rotative speed of the starter, at which point the drive pinion is forced back down the helical shaft and thus out of mesh with the ring gear.

A little more than I was hoping to spend, but I really did need the $129 Trans Flush! lol

Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Did they call you when it was diagnosed to see if you wanted them to fix it? Thats a high bill, and the plugs and master cylinder aren't hard to fix if you have some mechanic ability. Normally when I have work done on my truck or other equipment and the repair is going to be expensive, the mechanic calls me to make sure I want them to do it.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by atr04screw
Did they call you when it was diagnosed to see if you wanted them to fix it? Thats a high bill, and the plugs and master cylinder aren't hard to fix if you have some mechanic ability. Normally when I have work done on my truck or other equipment and the repair is going to be expensive, the mechanic calls me to make sure I want them to do it.
Oh yeah, they called before doing any of the work. Even though I HATE Brandon for Sales dept, the Service Dept & Body shop is top notch!!

I am at teh point in my life that I have the money and do not have the desire to fuss with it myself. Plus I will be hauling the wife's Mustang to NC in a few months, so I need it running top notch!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thats a high price.....but that's a dealer also

Hopefully for items 1+2 you took it upon yourself to clean the tb and maf....

Here the link for the brake issue>>>https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-resolved.html
Its a sticky at the top of the 04-08 forum

Bendix springs in starters go bad sometimes......

With the trans flush.....do the fluid exhange only....you don't want any flushing chemicals added....

Last edited by 88racing; 07-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Here the link for the brake issue>>>https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-resolved.html
Its a sticky at the top of the 04-08 forum
... and how exactly is that going to fix a bad master cylinder???

Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
It doesn't but the question is, was the MC really bad or just mushy from a bad rod adjustment. The rod adjustment could have been tried first to see if that eliminated the problem.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mkosu04
You really don't realize how much shops will readily and more than happily replace the MC....then to adjust this rod that only takes about a half hour to get dialed in

Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
I am a frequent visitor to this forum (Just ask my wife ) I have read all the sticky's, adjusted the rod, sprayed the TB & MAF with CRC... I know about all those.
I did all the "How to's" and DIY fixes before I took it to Ford! Taking it to Ford was the last step to get these fixed.

Like I said, I could do this myself...but let ford play with it so that if they replace anything and it still does not fix it then they have to answer for it.
I trust my service rep, unlike most he really knows what he is talking about and I have delt with him many times before on different vehicles.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Uin2it
I am a frequent visitor to this forum (Just ask my wife ) I have read all the sticky's, adjusted the rod, sprayed the TB & MAF with CRC... I know about all those.
I did all the "How to's" and DIY fixes before I took it to Ford! Taking it to Ford was the last step to get these fixed.

Like I said, I could do this myself...but let ford play with it so that if they replace anything and it still does not fix it then they have to answer for it.
I trust my service rep, unlike most he really knows what he is talking about and I have delt with him many times before on different vehicles.
I know what you mean about the service rep. I too have one that I can trust and that really helps. On the MC, since you had adjusted the rod, then it was probably leaking between the resovoirs.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uin2it

Now that we all know that information that you've tried to get it fixed yourself then I would proceed to the dealer also.....

Take care

Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM
not too bad, i just paid 1300 for 4 ball joints and a wheel alignment

Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've reached the point where I'm inclined to pay a tad more for a dealer to do mechanical work that I don't want to mess with myself over an independent shop that offers a lower price up front. I've never had good luck finding a reliable independent shop in my area, and have been burned too many times going with a local guy thinking I was saving a buck only to find out that I was less than happy with the end result.

I've developed a good relationship with a service writer at my local dealer. When I think he's way out of line with a quote I let him know and he's usually pretty good at adjusting his bid down if he needs to. There have also been multiple times where he's come in lower than the original bid because the man hours ended up being less than they expected. For that kind of service, I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars to receive the benefit of working with a dealer who works on these vehicles day-in and day-out.

It also helps that I've reached the point financially where a couple hundred bucks one way or the other isn't going to force me to eat Ramen Noodles for the next two months. When I was younger, the cost savings of a local shop were more enticing.

Good luck with your repair and hopefully you'll be all set to tow the 'Stang.....

Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkstar_420
not too bad, i just paid 1300 for 4 ball joints and a wheel alignment
You're kidding, right?!?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm sorry but....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, most dealerships are out to just rip you off!! That is an extremely high price for the kind of work your talking about, but on the other hand.. if your comfortable with the dealership and that price, than by all means have them do it just for piece of mind, that and the fact that you can hold them to it (hopefully) if it doesn't resolve your issues. Only thing I couldn't do on that list is the trans flush, and that isn't a bad price at all for that, but that's the only thing I would pay them to do

Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
You're kidding, right?!?
sadly not, i would have done it myself but i dont have anywhere to do it...but i did put moog stuff back in which alone was like $600

Quick Reply: $1,350.00 Maint bill