2004 - 2008 F-150

$1,350.00 Maint bill

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:
Well the good news is that the engine is going to be covered under warranty......so that saves me money.
The bad news is I have to replace the heads with stock replacement parts with no option for upgraded FRPP heads! darn, was kinda looking forward to having a reason to upgrade.

As of now for sure it needs at least one head (Didn't say why yet).... they are going to be doing further inspection of the condition of the cyl walls & block tomorrow.
Another good thing is they will be addressing the TSB of the Cam Phasers while the truck is apart.

Last edited by Uin2it; 08-09-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds promising....its to bad that it took them this long to find the issue....

Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Uin2it
Took the truck into Ford Service today for the following problems:

1. Stuttering on WOT
2. Stumbling after letting off gas pedal (after cruising at steady speed)

3. Spongy Brake Pedal and annoying squeek
4. Weird Starter sound (sounded like metal on metal)
5. Trans Flush

Turns out to fix all these problems the total bill will cost $1350.00.

Problems #1 & #2 above are due to bad plugs (multiple misses, COP seem fine they said) $450 plug change

Problem #3 is due to a bad Master Cylinder (Isn't there a TSB for this...still searching for it) $329 Master Cylinder replace/install

Problem #4 is what is called a "Starter Bindex"!? $312 starter/install
The Bendix system places the starter drive pinion on a helically-cut driveshaft. When the starter motor begins turning, the inertia of the drive pinion assembly causes it to ride forward on the helix and thus engage with the ring gear. When the engine starts, backdrive from the ring gear causes the drive pinion to exceed the rotative speed of the starter, at which point the drive pinion is forced back down the helical shaft and thus out of mesh with the ring gear.

A little more than I was hoping to spend, but I really did need the $129 Trans Flush! lol
Sorry to go so far back, but I'd just like you to touch up on this for me. I believe I'm having the same problem. Did it used to happen, like you said, cruising at a steady speed and shake the truck? Sounded like it was maybe U-Joints or a drive shaft problem? Also does it happen after a certain speed. I'm taking it for a trip from Utah to Texas right now and it was getting worse and worse. After I get mine up to about 75, on a downhill slope, it shakes vigorously. Only shakes to about 70 MPH though and it stops. I took it to a Ford dealership and they told me that i needed a longer drive shaft. I have an 8" lift and 37's which makes sense. But yours isn't as high and I'm curious if it's the same problem.

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Not the same issue....
Mine only happens once I let OFF the pedal after cruising at a steady speed.
Not during any % of throttle at that stead speed.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
NOW THIS is how you work on the engine!!!! SEE PIC BELOW HAHAH
No way I could ever do this in my garage....

Went by ford today and they said that teh warranty place approved the replacement of the heads.
They showed me where my stock heads had a lot of play in the valves, you could literally wiggle them with your fingers back and forth. (Only one cylinder per side was like this though) Then they showed me where my Crankshaft gear had access wear on the slot that fits over the groove in the crank (Basically it was not tight and was sending odd signals to my computer as the crank turned)

GOOD NEWS is that it's all covered under warranty and I will be getting the updated 2008 style heads. Service tech said the new heads are a better design to allow for better head/valve cooling and the upgraded plug threads. I also will be getting new Lash Adjusters and New Cam Phasers installed.
The warranty also covered a rental car for the next 5 days (2011 Red Candy V6 Mustang) Thank goodness for FORD "Certified" Pre-Owned label on the truck!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one way of doing it I guess! Glad you're getting it fixed under warranty with upgraded parts!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Finally got the Truck back.....runs great and all the problems are fixed!

$3800 in parts (Including $1600x2 for heads)
$1580 in labor

I only had to pay a $100 deductible for the extended warranty coverage.
Plus the $585 for new Cam phasers and Lash adjusters which I wanted them to do while they were in there.

All in all, glad I bought certified pre-owned. The warranty is still good till 100k mi or July 2012.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Uin2it
Finally got the Truck back.....runs great and all the problems are fixed!

$3800 in parts (Including $1600x2 for heads)
$1580 in labor

I only had to pay a $100 deductible for the extended warranty coverage.
Plus the $585 for new Cam phasers and Lash adjusters which I wanted them to do while they were in there.

All in all, glad I bought certified pre-owned. The warranty is still good till 100k mi or July 2012.
Glad to hear you got your truck back......congrats!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Congrats!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Did your truck throw any codes? If so, what numbers?

Quick Reply: $1,350.00 Maint bill