2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP: Space between front bumper and upper cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Space between front bumper and upper cover

I have searched both the forums and google and have not found anything relevant to my issue. The gap that is between the front bumper and the upper bumper cover is not equal from side to side on my truck. I hit a deer about two years ago and replaced the upper bumper cover and grill. When that happened, I had a grill guard installed that took most of the damage away from the body of the truck. Now I am thinking that maybe this caused the bumper to possibly move or something.

Basically, when looking at the front of the truck the gap in the center is closer together than the gaps and the far right side and far left side of the bumper.
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with something similar to this. Does the bumper brackets have any room to adjust something like this? Or is it possible that I need to replace the brackets? I don't think it has anything to do with the upper cover but I am not certain. I really do not want to take it to a body shop if it is something that I can take care of.

You can somewhat see what I am referring to in the pictures in my album. Here are two specifically that show it.

--

I would certainly appreciate everyone's input on this. I just really noticed it a month or so ago, but now that I have it is bugging the crap out of me. I don't think it was like this when I got the truck, but I cannot be certain.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Adjust the bumper and shim if necessary.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Adjust the bumper and shim if necessary.
I am searching now for an exploded diagram of the front bumper. Do you have any more details on the shim and where it is located?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by mfdengineer
I am searching now for an exploded diagram of the front bumper. Do you have any more details on the shim and where it is located?
Just stick your head under there and you'll see two 15/16 or so nuts each side that hold the main bumper brackets to the frame horn bumper mounts. That is where you make the adjustments.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
Thanks man. That is a great reference page. I appreciate that link!

Originally Posted by Stealth
Just stick your head under there and you'll see two 15/16 or so nuts each side that hold the main bumper brackets to the frame horn bumper mounts. That is where you make the adjustments.
I will take a look and see if I can find them. Hopefully I can get it straightened out. I will let you know what happens. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 PM

My wife sideswiped a Saturn once with my truck and I had to get a new bumper and right side brackets. I had to do a lot of maneuvering of the bumper and even shim it since I think the frame bumper mounts were a bit tweaked on the right side. I eventually got it where I like it. Just took a bit of time tinkering with it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Ok, I just wanted to update this thread. After reviewing the diagram on LMC's website, I went out and crawled under the truck. There is a mount on each side near the end of the frame rail. Refer to Stealth's post above. This is where the bumper attaches. I loosened both nuts enough so that I could raise and lower the bumper freely. Note here that the bolt that goes through the mount is held in place by a clip on the bracket, so you will not have to hold the head of the bolt. Also the nut is 13/16 and will need a deep well socket. I did one side at a time, which this worked really well for just closing up the gap between the bumper and bumper cover. It helps to have a second person to hold the bumper in place while you tighten the nut back down. The bumper will want to move back down to its lowest point which is where I started from.

It is amazing how much difference this adjustment made. There was nearly a one inch gap before and now I have got it down to around 5/8 of an inch. I hope someone finds this information useful. If I get time over the weekend, I will post some pics for reference.

Thank you to those who have provided your input. I certainly appreciate it. This is why I live on reading this forum.

Quick Reply: HELP: Space between front bumper and upper cover