2004 - 2008 F-150

Help keep your cargo safe (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help keep your cargo safe (pics)

I'll start by saying everyone knows that locks are for honest people . With that said I figured there is no reason to make it any easier for people who are looking to take advantage of the situation. As so many others here I often haul things in the bed of my truck that I would like for them to remain there if I step away for a moment.

Not sure on all the models out there but on the 04-08 the tie down points in the bed of the truck have two torex bolts that secure them. If you use them to secure/lock anything into the bed of your truck it could be as easy as using the right sized regular/flat head screwdriver to remove them.

Anyways here is a simple idea I came up with that should help a little, it at least removes one of the most common tools available out of the picture from stealing your belongings.

Cut out diamond plate:

Slide over tie down point:

Secure with lock and cable/chain:

Top down view:

With the plate installed and a lock in front of it, there is no way to gain access to the bolts. Sure this will not save you from a set of bolt cutters, hack saw, etc, but once again it at lease elliminates a common screwdriver. Hope this helps

Last edited by mdhawkin; 06-18-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 PM
Good idea to at least eliminate one method of thievery. Not very expensive or difficult either! This is the kind of ingenuity I love to see on this site.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had enough coffee yet. I was staring at the pictures for like 5 minutes thinking "who's gonna steal a tiedown bracket?" Never even thought to use them to lock other stuff up....

Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Well it's a good solution, but I kind of doubt thieves are walking around with Torx bits in which to remove the tie-down hooks. Kind of a solution in search of a problem since the cable is likely the easiest/quickest to defeat with a cheap set of bolt cutters which is a tool they'd likely have. Not a bad idea though I'd probably opt for a fiberglass tonneau cover or bed cap if I were hauling items I though might be high theft targets. Obviously a much more expensive solution, though.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:31 PM
20v battery grinder with a zipcut disk will go through the cable or any lock faster then ever thinking about removing the bolt.

Good idea...but overthinked IMO.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM
When I bought my truck it had the Truxedo cover Ford offers as a dealer installed accessory. I take the cash register approach...I'd rather you steal whatever it is you want than destroy my cover and steal it anyway.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Well it's a good solution, but I kind of doubt thieves are walking around with Torx bits in which to remove the tie-down hooks. Kind of a solution in search of a problem since the cable is likely the easiest/quickest to defeat with a cheap set of bolt cutters which is a tool they'd likely have. Not a bad idea though I'd probably opt for a fiberglass tonneau cover or bed cap if I were hauling items I though might be high theft targets. Obviously a much more expensive solution, though.
A flat head screwdriver will fit in there, I tried it, pretty common tool. As for a cover, I often have things such as ATV, dog box, etc back there so in my case it would be in the way more times than not, for others it is a great solution.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by maxpat82
20v battery grinder with a zipcut disk will go through the cable or any lock faster then ever thinking about removing the bolt.

Good idea...but overthinked IMO.
Agreed, as my OP stated locks are for honest people. The whole purpose of this was a way to eliminate a very common tool. Sure thing if someone wants whats back there and have the tools to take it then the lock cable will not stop them.

Oh well, I had the scrap laying around, def does not hurt to try, especially when it only takes a little free time.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Very smart good thinking

Quick Reply: Help keep your cargo safe (pics)