2004 - 2008 F-150

2" or 2.5" level??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2" or 2.5" level??

I tried searching but no luck, A 2004 FX4 Supercab I need a level kit for. I remember reading somewhere the earlier models looked best with one level, and the later another, but I can't remember which went best with which. My birthday is in a little over a week and my mother doesn't know what to get me . I'm thinking of going with the autospring, but open to other suggestions as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a 2" SkyJacker leveling kit on my 2008 F150 2wd. It made the front .2 inches taller than the rear. I do not know if it would do the same to the FX4. Most common lift is the 2.5. Ruff Country is selling their 2.5" kit for like $99.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AutoSpring kit is the least expensive shipped to your door.

I think the Hellbent is also pretty close in price. But the BIG thing to factor with the AutoSpring kit that I have not seen in the others is the OFFSET. This helps to reduce the angles more than the common spacers.

As far as which to get (2" vs 2.5") the common rule of thumb is that the 2.5" works better on the 04-05 and the 2" works better on the 06-08.....BUT....that didn't hold true in my case.

I installed the 2" AutoSpring and my front sat .5" higher. Not a big deal though since I was already installing the FireStone airbags too.

One thing to keep in mind with ANY spacer is that the rear will sag whenever you use your truck as a truck. Toss a tool case back there and it will sag and forget about towing. I mean it will tow, but the rear will droop considerably!

You can go cheap and put an add-a-leaf, but this will firm up the ride more. And there is ZERO adjustment with those. The FireStone Airbags are the BEST alternative IMHO ! You literally have infinite adjustment.

Last edited by rms8; 01-22-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't tow much with this truck, I've got 3 old 7.3L's to do the towing with.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by rms8

The AutoSpring kit is the least expensive shipped to your door.

I think the Hellbent is also pretty close in price. But the BIG thing to factor with the AutoSpring kit that I have not seen in the others is the OFFSET. This helps to reduce the angles more than the common spacers.

As far as which to get (2" vs 2.5") the common rule of thumb is that the 2.5" works better on the 04-05 and the 2" works better on the 06-08.....BUT....that didn't hold true in my case.

I installed the 2" AutoSpring and my front sat .5" higher. Not a big deal though since I was already installing the FireStone airbags too.

One thing to keep in mind with ANY spacer is that the rear will sag whenever you use your truck as a truck. Toss a tool case back there and it will sag and forget about towing. I mean it will tow, but the rear will droop considerably!

You can go cheap and put an add-a-leaf, but this will firm up the ride more. And there is ZERO adjustment with those. The FireStone Airbags are the BEST alternative IMHO ! You literally have infinite adjustment.
x2 on everything he said. I put a 2.5in AS level on my 07 4wd and my front was right at level with the rear, maybe a hair higher. I added the ReadyLift 3in replacement block for the rear and now I've got some of the factory rake back. I haven't tried towing with it yet but it should be pretty close to level. The factory ride has not changed a bit which is a plus over AALs.

If you're trying to decide on leveling kits, definitely go with AutoSpring. They cost less and have the offset to keep the coil spring from rubbing the upper control arm. They've also got powdercoated versions for only $10 more than their original. The kits also mount on top of the spring so there is no need for a spring compressor.

Bottom line, AS kits are cheap, easy to install, and high quality.

You can find the kit I bought here. This kit will also work for your truck.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a 2.5 in Skyjacker on my 04 Screw Lariat, by measurements it is perfectly level but it sure looks nose high. I also installed Air Lift bags and compressor for towing. I think it either needs a little lift in the back or replace the front with a 2 in. If I pump up the rear to 40 PSI it sits a little better but not quite good enough.

Tim

Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by UNC Lariat
I added the ReadyLift 3in replacement block for the rear and now I've got some of the factory rake back.
$140 for two blocks and 4 u-bolts? Yowza!

I'm getting ready to put a front kit on mine and am wondering how much it is going to squat when I hook my boat to it. It's probably about 100 lbs on the tongue weight.

Also, there should be a lot of members with a lot of miles on their trucks after the 2" and up kits were installed. Anyone care to give advice on how the ball joint wear has been? I know back a few years ago when I was first investigating the things, it seemed like it was about a 50/50 split on people that were having premature wear and those that didn't on the 2 1/2" spacer.

Last edited by quackrstackr; 01-22-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Go with the 2inch unless you want the front to ride higher then the rear. I have the 2inch and 3inch blocks in the rear has slight rake. With the 2inch level kit the front would be slightly higher.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
$140 for two blocks and 4 u-bolts? Yowza!

I'm getting ready to put a front kit on mine and am wondering how much it is going to squat when I hook my boat to it. It's probably about 100 lbs on the tongue weight.

Also, there should be a lot of members with a lot of miles on their trucks after the 2" and up kits were installed. Anyone care to give advice on how the ball joint wear has been? I know back a few years ago when I was first investigating the things, it seemed like it was about a 50/50 split on people that were having premature wear and those that didn't on the 2 1/2" spacer.
My 04 with 40K on it is in need of some new ball joints. The lowers are pretty sloppy. The tire shop said it was from the leveling kit, they were suprised when I told them the leveling kit was only installed the day before. This was actually at 36K. Ball joints are a crap shoot. My 99 SD with the 7.3 needed new ball joints at 32K and most of my miles are on the highway, although its the crappy highways of MI that probably don't help.

Tim

Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I used the 2.5" AS kit and it sits great. I think you will have some rake still with the 2" kit.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:44 PM
will sit level with a 2.5. if you get a 2 though it leaves you a little room for tounge weight or payload and not look nose up.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
My 04 needed a 2 1/2" kit to level it out. The rear on the 04 & 05 sit higher then the rest.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking about a 2" for mine so that when I hook the boat to it, it won't squat. I do a fair amount of boat towing during the spring and summer and then haul my atv in the bed instead of on the trailer a few times per year too.

I measured mine yesterday and I have a 3 1/4" rake on my regular cab. I hate that much rake almost as much as I hate the filthy factory brake pads that came on this thing.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
I'm thinking about a 2" for mine so that when I hook the boat to it, it won't squat. I do a fair amount of boat towing during the spring and summer and then haul my atv in the bed instead of on the trailer a few times per year too.

I measured mine yesterday and I have a 3 1/4" rake on my regular cab. I hate that much rake almost as much as I hate the filthy factory brake pads that came on this thing.
Wow, 3 1/4", yes, that would bother me as well. I did the AS 1.5" and a stock block in the back which is perfect for me. Still has about 1" of rake in the back which disappears when towing or loaded with materials. Anything more and I would for sure be nose high.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
dont do a 3 inch kit, some say there hard on cv axles and upper balljoints.

Quick Reply: 2" or 2.5" level??