2004 - 2008 F-150

An issue with break pedal and break lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An issue with break pedal and break lights

Hi everyone! I have been noticing that it is requiring a lot of brake pedal pressure to make my break lights actually light up. I had my breaks done about a year ago and hey work great, takes very little effort to stop. Does anyone know what could cause this and how to possibly fix it. I drive at night a lot and don't want to end up in an accident cause someone is not paying attention. Thank you for any help.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
The brake lights should come on as soon as you move the pedal. Maybe the switch is out of adjustment if there is any, maybe internally in the switch something is off and it needs to be replaced.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 PM
I am having the same issue with my 2000 L and I bought a switch today that is mounted on the brake pedal and will be replacing it in the next day or so

Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 AM
I haven't checked my truck, but I used to drive a 2001 Focus, and the way that the switch was mounted led to the clip on the switch to wear out and caused the brake lights to stay on because the switch would move back just enough to keep the lights from turning off.

I had to tape a nickle to the tip of the switch, so when the brake pedal wasn't being pressed it actually tripped the switch and turned off the brake lights. maybe you have a problem where a spring is busted and is not extending the switch completely, assuming it uses a similar assembly.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I know what it is,
I had this problem with my 04 about a year ago. I removed the switch mounted on the top of the pedal. Inspected it and learned that it had wear on the little square plastic button that compresses when the pedal is mashed. This worn condition requires more than normal pressure on the pedal to activate the switch. Therefore the brake lights don't work under normal braking.

I priced a new switch and it was like $55 bucks.

So here's what I did:

The "cheap ***" in me decided to get creative and try something. I cut to size and superglued a 1/16" thick piece of phenolic plastic (counter top material) to the little square button on the switch.

1/16" turned out juuust a little too thick causing the brake lights to stay on all the time. So I kept removing the switch and used a small file and filed it thinner until it worked perfectly.

Its been at least a year or so and still works fine.

Still got my $55 bucks LOL

Good Luck

Last edited by pethel; 09-30-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 AM
I really appreciate the responses everyone. I'm gonna take a look and see what is going on. I don't have much of an issue with having to spend the money to replace the switch. My truck means way too much to me lol.

Quick Reply: An issue with break pedal and break lights