2004 - 2008 F-150

Another successful 5.4 3V plug change!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another successful 5.4 3V plug change!!!

Thanks to all the tips,advice i have acquired from this site i successully completed the legendary plug change on my 05 F-150 today!!Please keep in mind my truck has a 3in. body lift and Airaid intake,thus allowing more space in the engine bay.There may or may not be much difference in a stock truck method of performing this,other than limited space in the engine.
Here is the tools needed:

Small Shop Vac or similiar sized
3/8 Ratchet and 6 in ext.
1/4 Ratchet and 6 in ext.
7mm socket
8 Plugs of your choice(I chose Motorcraft PZT 205)
1 can Motorcraft Carb Cleaner
1 OTC 6900 Spark Plug socket 9/16
Lisle Plug remover tool(just in case)
1 tube nickel anti-seize
Shop Rags

I believe the most important thing for success at this job is patience.The following method is how i removed my plugs with ZERO breakage.You do not have to remove the PCM or Bracket.I have split it into two phases:

Phase 1:

After inventorying all needed tools,begin by unplugging each cop at its quick connect.Remove each 7mm bolt with the 1/4 ratchet holding each cop on.(Once its bolt is out,the cop will pull right off the plug,boot and all).Do this with each cop until they are all off.I did not replace my cops,simply cleaned them up.Take the Shop Vac,or whatever you have similiar and vacuum the areas around the cylinders(there will be a lot of dirt,debris,etc.)Be sure and suck out the cylinder with the hose also before you remove any plugs.Next,using the OTC 6900 socket and 3/8 ratchet and extension,break each plug 1/4-1/8 of a turn(no more than this!!).You will hear a screeching sound and feel vibration in the ratchet as the plug turns.It will be tight to reach the back cylinders on the passenger side,just do the best you can.Next,using a WD 40 straw(red),spray each plug with Motorcraft Carb Cleaner for 2 seconds(DO NOT ADD MORE DUE TO HYDROLOCK RISK).IMPORTANT:Allow this to soak and do its work for 24 hrs on the plugs

PHASE 2:
After 24 hrs,Begin by using the OTC 6900 and 3/8 Ratchet/6 in. ext. to slowly back out the plug(i started on # 1 passenger side).You will hear a loud screeching sound as you turn the ratchet each time from the plugs threads.Turn each time about 1/4 turn,no more.If you stop hearing the screeching noise,stop and retighten about 1/4 turn.If you continue to hear the screeching then all should be well,just take your time on this part.I cant offer advice on any breaking,tool use,etc. because NONE of mine broke.Once the plug is out,inspect its strap and ground shield and porcelain.There will be a lot of carbon on the shield!Do this with each plug until all are out.Once you have all 8 out,turn the engine over a few times to blow out any cleaner that may have wicked down the cylinder.Using a rag,simply wipe off the engine area afterwards.I also used this time to vacuum the cylinders again to be sure they were free of any foreign material.Next,take each new plug and apply the nickel anti seize on the strap,shield area up to the bottom thread.DO NOT add any on the threads.Install each plug back into each cylinder.I did not have a torque wrench ,but i made sure each plug was tightened securely.Finally,replace the cops on each plug tip and resecure the 7mm bolts,then replug the connectors on them.Fire the truck up and verify no codes are showing.(Mine let out a black puff of smoke upon intial start with new plugs in,but it was just carbon residue i suspect..hasnt done it since).If all is well and engine sounds good,no wis the time to test drive it!
Mine ran like a beast afterwards.If any one needs any info or questions on the procedure i used,feel free to ask.Again,i used the Motorcraft PZT 205 plugs as replacements over the Champions or Autolites.The new Motorcraft plugs i put in are a hotter plug than the ones that came out,and with the anti seize i applied to them. i have no concern on any more issues.
Again,thanks for all the tips,advice and guidance on this hellacious task!!
I will post the picture of the intact old plugs soon,keep watching!!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good job and great news to hear of another success!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Congratulations! How many miles did it have on it?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You mentioned not adding to much fluid due to Hydrolock. You vacuumed the cylinders out so that shouldn't be a problem.

Since you let it sit for 24hrs, did you notice if any of fluid actually leaked past the plugs? Did the fluid level go down over night?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Ooops!!I forgot to display mileage!It has 93,207 miles.The fluid did wick down past the plugs overnight,as i noticed the wet carbon sludge on the shield as they came out.I wouldnt spray longer than 2 seconds on each cylinder to make sure of any excess seeping past the plugs.It only requires a little(maybe 1/2 teaspoon?)to reach the plug nut,which is the recommended level to add it up to.I turned my engine over a few times to be sure with the plugs out to blow any excess out of the cylinder.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:25 PM
One other thing guys,(just FYI)-Mine has an engine build date of 10/2004.I had planned to take 3 days off work to tackle this,but decided to go ahead and do it this weekend.And man am i glad i did!!It feels like a horse off my back.Now i only have to worry about tires at the end of this year.Unfortunately,my truck has the Lash adjuster/Cam noise so many other owners have as well.I may or may not replace them later on,thats another subject for sure
Another thing i forgot to mention-Make sure you have the Lisle 65600 tool on hand.IF you have one break,and dont have this tool,it could be a loooong day.The upside is that Oreillys will refund your money if you dont use it.I took mine back this morning with my ziploc bag of plugs and had the counter guys in awe.
One more thing,if any of you guys decide to add a body lift-i can give advice on installation if you install it yourself(you will need a second person for this project).I had a good Tech friend who helped me install mine for $100,and a case of beer,saving me a ton of money!AND..for the guys who wish to install an Airaid Intake that have body lifts already,you probably know the kit has to be modified to fit a lifted truck.The plastic tube sits about 2-3 in lower than the filter box due to the fact it is for stock trucks,BUT with 6 in rubber hose (heavy duty to hold up to the engine heat),some metal hose clamps,and some ingenuity that problem can be resolved

BTW,any one else run RP 5w30 in theirs??I was using the 5w20 but figured i would try a heavier weight to see if it would quite the engine a little(sounds like a diesel engine at times).Seems to have helped some,but 30 weight is as far as im willing to deviate from the recommended.And i do use Motorcraft Filter!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice job on the plug change!! I started running Lucas Oil heavy duty oil stabilizer in mine last winter and it quieted it down pretty significantly... I substitute one qt of the 5w20 with one qt Lucas....

Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a 08 with the brown boots so i hope i have zero problems when it comes time to change mine, nice job btw

Old 06-27-2010, 07:08 PM
You should be Good to go!Brown coils are the new,updated design that eliminated the plug breakage in the previous year models up to 2004.The black coils are the ones to be wary of

Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I might have to try this!

Quick Reply: Another successful 5.4 3V plug change!!!