2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel Controle Mod Pooped out....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Controle Mod Pooped out....

Well if finally happened today the FCM finally quit on me today, I knew it was coming, had a problem with it after a wash week or two ago, after posting on here and getting some good info about the back ordered part... I have been calling all over Ontario, dealers and junk yards, and the F150 and Super duty control mod are on back order and the junk yards are saying they are crumbling in there hands.
So after it quit today I finally tracked one down in Fredericton New Brunswick, but I have to wait out the long weekend to get it, but I am pretty happy to be getting it, and I have to say Ford has disappointed me pretty bad today, I think they need to get there $#@^ together.

So for the next 4 days I am riding in a ford ranger rusted out, hole in muffler, Teal green with pink and purple strips, But I am grateful to have a loner from a friend, better than a rental.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might I trouble you to ask the symptoms of the FCM starting to crap out?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
You can't blame Ford too much for the backorder on this part. They were very likely caught off guard by the volume of FCM's that are now starting to fail. When you consider how many vehicles are rolling around with this piece it's somewhat understandable that there's a wait to get one.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 AM
So is this piece the same for all models from 2004-2008 and it is only a matter of time til the 08 trucks run into this problem?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Well its time to start looking for this part. i assume its only a matter of time until my luck runs out.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 AM
The 250 FCM is the same, it just has studs that need to be driven out & replaced with bolts and washers to space it from the bar. i know a member here, in the same section did it...

EDIT: here's the link to the thread with the part number for it

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...er-module.html

Last edited by MbL90; 04-02-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 AM
is anyone going to answer my question?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:06 AM
the truck will have problems starting-if it does at all. It can come out of no where, crud just builds up and eventually breaks it, the FCM is located above the spare tire and is bolted to a tube, your truck being an '04 you may want to check it. If it is ok, just go find some longer bolts and a nut or washers for both bolts to space it out from the bar so it has room to where corrosion can't cause it to break...
If you search there is a few threads containing more info on it, and possibly some that I have misinformed or left out...

Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 AM
The first problem I had was when I went to a car wash and did the underside, was there for about a half our trying to get it going. Then the other day I was driving along and it just Quit I knew what it was as soon a it happened
Check yours if you didn't already, On the drivers side behind rear wheel, look up and just before the spare on a rounded cross member you can see it with out taking the spare off, It will most likely be cracked.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MbL90
the truck will have problems starting-if it does at all. It can come out of no where, crud just builds up and eventually breaks it, the FCM is located above the spare tire and is bolted to a tube, your truck being an '04 you may want to check it. If it is ok, just go find some longer bolts and a nut or washers for both bolts to space it out from the bar so it has room to where corrosion can't cause it to break...
If you search there is a few threads containing more info on it, and possibly some that I have misinformed or left out...

Good morning!

Yep.

As others have done, if you find it in decent shape, with only non-penetrating corrosion on the case, try to coat it thinly with a corrosion inhibiting barrier of some sort to keep it from degrading further. If it's holed, it's going to fail evenually, as the damage is already done.

Good luck. I found two at a local yard - one toasted ( just using it for the connector) and one in decent shape plus the harness. Now, to get this relocation project finished, lol.

MGD v5.0

Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by abgarza
is anyone going to answer my question?
Instead of developing an attitude about it why not use a nifty little feature available to you called "Search". You'll find it at the top of the page marked "Search". Click it, enter what you want to know and you'll get all the info you need.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Instead of developing an attitude about it why not use a nifty little feature available to you called "Search". You'll find it at the top of the page marked "Search". Click it, enter what you want to know and you'll get all the info you need.
I did search, and have read about the corrosion and the backorders.

I did not recall seeing the indicators of this part going out aside from "truck not starting" and since I am having some problems of my own, I simply figured that since someone was having this problem, and that this was a discussion board, I may as well ask the OP what the indicators are of the FCM going out.

However, I will keep that in mind next time someone asks a question that I might know the answer to on a discussion board . The acceptable answer is "find it yourself"

Last edited by abgarza; 04-02-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by MbL90
Originally Posted by Scotty Dog
The first problem I had was when I went to a car wash and did the underside, was there for about a half our trying to get it going. Then the other day I was driving along and it just Quit I knew what it was as soon a it happened
Check yours if you didn't already, On the drivers side behind rear wheel, look up and just before the spare on a rounded cross member you can see it with out taking the spare off, It will most likely be cracked.
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Good morning!

Yep.

As others have done, if you find it in decent shape, with only non-penetrating corrosion on the case, try to coat it thinly with a corrosion inhibiting barrier of some sort to keep it from degrading further. If it's holed, it's going to fail evenually, as the damage is already done.

Good luck. I found two at a local yard - one toasted ( just using it for the connector) and one in decent shape plus the harness. Now, to get this relocation project finished, lol.

MGD v5.0
Thanks for the help guys. I did check mine the other day, and it looks perfectly fine, but I wanted to know if it was an all or none kind of thing. Seems like it either works or does not work.

Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Quick question. I looked at mine the other day and it has started to corrode however it's not too bad yet. What would be a good corrosion inhibitor to use on it? I've seen the mention of rust inhibitor wax...this something that can be found at Autozone or Lowes?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by abgarza
I did search, and have read about the corrosiom and the backorders.

I did not recall seeing the indicators of this part going out aside from "truck not starting" and since I am having some problems of my own, I simply figured that since someone was having this problem, and that this was a discussion board, I may as well ask the OP what the indicators are of the FCM going out.

However, I will keep that in mind next time someone asks a question that I might know the answer to on a discussion board . The acceptable answer is "find it yourself"
Good morning sir.

I think it's simply a matter of patience. You really only gave us ~ 3 hours to respond - and timezones being what they are, more time would have been appropriate. I know I was passed out at that time

Sometimes it just takes time to get back to folks with life getting in the way and all .... and I see someone did answer the question.

Okay? No need to be offended, I don't think any was intended here.

Cheers!

MGD v5.0

Quick Reply: Fuel Controle Mod Pooped out....