2004 - 2008 F-150

Locking Hub (IWE) Solenoid ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Locking Hub (IWE) Solenoid ???

I have read a number of threads about this solenoid........old solenoid.........new solenoid.

Can any one confirm these part #'s:

old design: 6L3Z*9H465*B
new design: 6L3Z*9E441*A

I found these in an old thread here.

Was the old design defective????

Really curious.......I just bought a new one a few days ago. I just checked my receipt and it is 6L3Z*9H465*B (old design according to the above #'s).

Since I paid full price at the dealership.........I would like to know if I need to exchange it before I have an issue. Thanks for any info!!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the part numbers at hand but it's easy enough to see if you have the new or old one - pop open your hood. The solenoid mounts to the firewall just off the passenger side fender. Compare the solenoid installed to the one you just bought. They'll look identical except - the new design has a simple plastic roof that covers the top of the solenoid so moisture can't get in... it will be very obvious.

Yes, the old model is defective - it can allow moisture into the vacuum system and create problems. You want to replace it if you have the old model; even if you've not had any problems so far, change it.

Do some more searching here - I know pics of the new solenoid and part number have been posted before in some of the IWE threads.

Here's a link from another forum that has pics of the new vs old side by side for comparison: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/80...-solenoid.html

Last edited by Smokin Lariat; 01-29-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
Here's a link from another forum that has pics of the new vs old side by side for comparison: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/80...-solenoid.html
Your link didn't work for me, I think this is the page you were referring to:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/80...-solenoid.html

Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I ran into something on mine a couple of weeks ago. The solenoid went out, and the part number was for the "old" style, so I ordered the "new" part number from Tasca Ford. Problem was, when it came in, it didn't come with the new bracket with the "rain hood", so I had to modify my stock bracket, and I used a heat gun and some ABS plastic to bend my own cover. Just throwing this out there, as someone could have replaced the solenoid with the new style, but if they didn't order the new bracket, it would still visually look the same. If the solenoid was changed by a Ford dealer, they probably switched both.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Sorry about that- yes, your link is the one I meant. Picture #1 shows the new solenoid installed, pic #2 shows the old (left) vs new (right).

Thanks for fixing that link!

Quick Reply: Locking Hub (IWE) Solenoid ???