2004 - 2008 F-150

cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control?

just curious i have a 2004 ford f150 and since i have owned it 2 years ago and at 75,000 the cruise control doesn't work now it has 100,000 miles is this a common problem? and what do i need to do to fix it?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your fuses, these trucks have drive by wire so there is no cruise cable or daipragm. If the cruise quit but everything else works, its gotta be a fuse. The only other thing it could be is the switches on the steering wheel.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or it could be the brake switch on the brake pedal. If you have no brake lights, that might be the problem. If it doesn't work, it will not allow you to use cruise.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Or it could be the brake switch on the brake pedal. If you have no brake lights, that might be the problem. If it doesn't work, it will not allow you to use cruise.

ya everything else works, brake lights work the right side of the steering wheel works it is just the left side and cruise control dont work... and hasn't since i have owned the truck...

Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like its just the switches on the right side.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
well i took it to the dealer to see if they could find out what is wrong with it and i guess it is a shift interlock that is bad and cost 350 to replace so i am not going to do that but at least i found out what the problem was...

Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I have a similar problem, but once in a while it will actually engage but will shut off (the cruise not the engine) after a brief period. 1-2 minutes.

In previous vehicles, when you press the cruise button, a light on the cluster comes on indicating it was active. Then you press the set button and yer good. When I press the "On" button, no light is evident to let me know it is active. Then "sometimes" if I press the set button, a small light comes on showing it is on and working.

The outside temp gauge shows 99 when it's really 77, but I bet that's another issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Anyone?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Duplicate post.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Bad-Dog
I have a similar problem, but once in a while it will actually engage but will shut off (the cruise not the engine) after a brief period. 1-2 minutes.

In previous vehicles, when you press the cruise button, a light on the cluster comes on indicating it was active. Then you press the set button and yer good. When I press the "On" button, no light is evident to let me know it is active. Then "sometimes" if I press the set button, a small light comes on showing it is on and working.

The outside temp gauge shows 99 when it's really 77, but I bet that's another issue.

Any thoughts on this?
When my thermometer was displaying incorrect temperatures, I just took off the sensor, sort of cleaned it up a little, and put it back on. There are a handful of threads about where it is and how to remove it. Let me see if I can find one. Alternatively, you can use the Search function.

Found it: https://www.f150online.com/forums/in...ay-screwy.html

Last edited by cstanek; 09-16-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad-Dog

...<snip>....
Take a look at your owners manual, there is no CC on indicator in the instrument cluster, what you are describing is normal operation as far as the cluster indication goes.

Did you install LED brake lamps anywhere ?

Check if the brake switch / shift interlock is adjusted too close to the top, or it could be bad.

The shift interlock switch should not be 350.00 to replace, that is just crazy.

The switch has 2 circuits to it, and should be the same one as the Stoplamp switch for ~ 17.00.
It is right on the brake pedal.

If this is not the case, either the VSS ( or if 4x4 the output shaft ) sensor might be having a problem.

Quick test, have someone stand behind the truck, looking at the CHMSL, and wiggle the brake pedal side to side, to see if the light flashes.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Take a look at your owners manual, there is no CC on indicator in the instrument cluster, what you are describing is normal operation as far as the cluster indication goes.

Did you install LED brake lamps anywhere ?

Check if the brake switch / shift interlock is adjusted too close to the top, or it could be bad.

The shift interlock switch should not be 350.00 to replace, that is just crazy.

The switch has 2 circuits to it, and should be the same one as the Stoplamp switch for ~ 17.00.
It is right on the brake pedal.

If this is not the case, either the VSS ( or if 4x4 the output shaft ) sensor might be having a problem.

Quick test, have someone stand behind the truck, looking at the CHMSL, and wiggle the brake pedal side to side, to see if the light flashes.
Hey SSCULLY, thanks for the response. I checked for side to side response and it seems to be ok. the third high break light works and I have not added LED lights.

I DID find this in searching through google however:

See if you can shift out of park without putting your foot on the brake pedal. If you can its the shift solenoid killing the cruise control. I have the same problem.

I am in fact able to do just that. So I'm curious where this solenoid is and if it's something I can replace myself. Just to rule it out.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge in this area. This is my first full size truck. Aside from this issue, i'm diggin it.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There we go, good trouble shooting

The shift interlock could be the interlock switch on the brake pedal switch or the shift interlock solenoid itself.

2004 FX4, I assume it is a column shift ( or is it a flow through console ) ?

On the column shift it is on the side of the column, on the flow through it is next to the shift lever.

Obviously this is under the trim panels
- cup holder / shift trim panel on the flow through
- behind the knee panel / anti submarine panel on the column shift.

Here is an old thread on the topic, with similar symptoms, and location info on the shift interlock switch ( his cure was not the interlock solenoid ) .

This member replaced the shift interlock switch ( also the brake pedal position switch ) on the brake pedal. P/N : 4L3Z-13480-AA

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...k-problem.html

For 17.00 + Shipping and an easy swap, this might be a good route to take 1st.

PS: No need to apologize for the lack of knowledge in this area, that is why we are here, to help each other out

Last edited by SSCULLY; 09-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: cruise control?