2004 - 2008 F-150

Price Change Or Ride It Longer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price Change Or Ride It Longer?

Well boys, I'm starting to wonder.

After extensive research with several forum members, the pricing of my truck was pretty much agreed to be right on target. With the value of my truck rising $1,000 according to NADA over the past several weeks ($17,750), I changed my price from $16,500 to $16,500-Firm.

It is now parked outside my mother-in-law's house and she says there have been several lookers. One called me, and after asking to buy for $15,000 and me turning them down, they called right back minutes later to go look at it. It was a mother dealing for her son. But he was being a jack-a$$ in the background and she got pi$$ed and decided not to give him money he needed for it.

I had another guy also offer $15,000. But I told him $16,000.

My question now is, do I back off the $16,500-Firm? And if so, to what? Or do I let it go a little longer? Several lookers and only one call isn't very encouraging.

Here is the description: https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-two-tone.html

Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 AM
I would say if you dont have to sell it right away then hold on to it for couple more weeks and see what happens cause if this many people have been offering 15k then after a couple more weeks you dont get what you want then you atleast know it will go quickly for the lower price.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I say stand firm on your price, you don't need to sell, so you can afford to sit on it a while longer.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
So, it's been listed for over a month. It's been listed on a few free sites. It's been parked outside with a For Sale sign on it. You're not getting much interest. There's at least 2 problems. You're not getting it in front of the right potential buyers and/or it's priced too high for your market.

I don't know about you guys, but when I find a vehicle for sale and it's listed price is FIRM. I walk away. The game of negotiation is what some of us enjoy about buying/selling. Take that away and you reduce your potential buyers.

Only use NADA or any of the other price guides as something to put you in the ball park. Only once in the past 30 years have I sold a vehicle for the prices listed. But hey, everyone's opinions and experiences are different.

But the short of all this. You've got a vehicle listed for sale that's not moving. Reduce the price, paint a picture that your open to negotiation and sell the dam thing.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id say $14-15K would be a better price. $16k is a bit high for an '04 with 81k.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You could hold your price, but if you really like the truck, why not look into a custom economy tune, the DWV intake with K&N filter and a straight through muffler catback? You could easily gains 2-3 mpgs if you watch your driving style. I would hate to see that truck go for a lower price when it looks that good.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM
For the moment I have removed "Firm" from my listings. I'll give it another week before considering any numeric changes to my price. I know $16,500 seems high for an $81K mile truck, but by following the guides...all of them...that's about where it should be. All the guides can't be wrong.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:25 PM
haggle back if you gotta drop to 15,500 your only out a little from what you were asking, or hold out as the old saying goes there's an a** for every seat

Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree w/ taking off the FIRM part of your for sale ad. Anytime I am buying a vehicle and I see that, I immediately move on to the next one. Usually someone who puts that is not the kind of person that I want to deal with. I don't mean that is how the OP is, that's just an observation in buying well over 20 cars in the last 10 years. So big props to you for taking that off. I'm sure that alone will generate more interest.

The biggest problem that you are going to have is the incredible saturation of vehicles out there right now. Sure you are following what the guides are "claiming" it should sell for. NADA and KBB dont account for very important market conditions that drastically effect what it sells for or how long it will take to sell it. NADA is pretty much there for financing companies to decide if they will loan you enough to pay for a vehicle.

Truth is wit hthe way the economy is, with you truck being there at 16,500 there are 10 others out there to compete with you. What sets yours apart? What makes yours better or worse than the others?

As an example, last November I got my 05 FX4 w/ 28k miles on it for 18,000. I shopped around for several months before finding the deal, but ran across quite a few trucks similar to yours in years and miles. If I can get one with less than half the miles for only a few thousand more, that's of course going to be more worth it for me or just about anyone else out there.

Most vehicles that are priced agressively in this economy are going to take a few months to sell, if not more. I have sold two cars this year and it took about 6-8 weeks each time, and I only had to come off my asking price slightly in the end.

Taking the firm part off of the ad I think is your best bet and if you aren't in any hurry to sell, keep it at 16,500. However, in my experience you should always price it a little higher than what you want to get. That leaves room for negotiation and still get you what you want. You also need to look at it from a buyers point of view. If they buy a 5 year old, 80k mile vehicle, finance it for 4-5 years, etc. In one year or slightly more, they will have a vehilcle w/ 100k miles on it that they still will have to pay for for another 3-4 years.

Realistically I think you will get probably 15k for it at best, but if you want to stick with your price and not negotiate much, go for it. It's your vehicle and stick to your guns and somebody will come along if you are patient enough. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The price guides seem to be too high. I paid $14,700 for my truck in February and the blue book value was $20k.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 AM
You have a nice truck. A supercrew fx4 will hold it's value better than a reg or scab.

I don't know why you want to sell it. Keep it, put on a leveling kit and some 35" muds.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If you really wanted to sell it you would have taken the 15k. No since in dropping the price now. Take off the firm. Like I said in your original post that truck will sell quick at 14,900. I honestly don't think you want to sell it. LOL It's a great looking truck. I'd have a hard time selling too. Good luck, man.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I say stand firm on your price if you do not absolutely have to sell. I sold my truck a few months back (man do I miss that truck) and my only regret is not standing firm on my price. I got the lowest price I was willing to go ($22k) but I really wish I would have stood firm on getting what I really wanted ($25k). I did not have to sell my truck, I simply sold because I didn't drive her that much (like 1500 miles a year) and it killed me to watch her just sitting there. I worked hard to raise the money to fix that truck up exactly like I wanted and I sold her after only 2 years. I don't miss the $500 monthly payment, but everytime I see her on the road (which I do often since the guy who bought her lives 2 streets over) I regret ever selling her.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Guides are just for reference. The price you get is what somebody is willing to pay. When I was shopping for my truck, I could care less about blue books, I took the best price I could find. Also, time is not on your side. With the economy somewhat starting to stabilize, energy prices are going to start heading back up and truck prices will start to drop like rocks. At $4 and above a gallon, people will think long and hard about buying a truck or want a discount. Sellers should always think like Buyers, putting Firm in your price would have had me moving on to another truck, it was a good move on your part...

Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
The truck is currently on my mother-in-law's front yard. She gets a lot of drive-by traffic. She said a lot of people have stopped by in the week it's been out there; even as recent as yesterday, but only one resulted in a call. Those stops (approximately 2 per day) were while the firm was still on there. But I'm guessing that many of them were looking for a steal otherwise they'd probably call for the heck of it to see how firm I am on my firm. That's what my one caller did. But maybe not.

My online hits have dropped. I'm not getting any action there now. (Craigslist, Cars.com; Vehix.com) I think if/when I drop, if I drop to $15,900 I should start seeing some hits again. But I'm not going that route just yet.

I do want to sell it. I drive 50 miles a day, five days a week and the commuter car hasn't worked out. Both are going.

Let me ask you this...When someone puts "Or Best Offer"/"OBO" on their listing, what are they saying that's different from listing a price that's not firm? Are they conveying the OBO message to one person or saying that the best offer from all offers wins? Is this just a ploy to get people offering, thinking they can get a bargain?

Whatever happens, I can't take less than $15,000 for this truck now that I've turned down two offers of that for it. I'll keep it before I do that.

Quick Reply: Price Change Or Ride It Longer?