2004 - 2008 F-150

High Flow Cats o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Flow Cats o2 sensor

Hey I wanted to buy Magnaflow high cats part#94106, but the problem is I don't know what else I need to install these cats, what do I do about the o2 sensor is there a plug I need to buy to connect the o2 sensor back? My truck 06 5.4 3V has two o2 senors one one each side. I also read I need to connect the o2 sensor in front?? Thats what I don't under stand. Any help would be great thanks.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
you have 4 o2 sensors but if your just installing hi flow cats, you have to either to buy cats with o2 sensor mounting in them or just mount them behind the cats. so basicly one before and one after depending on how much changes the only thing you would need is 02 sensor extension.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by bluebeast06
you have 4 o2 sensors but if your just installing hi flow cats, you have to either to buy cats with o2 sensor mounting in them or just mount them behind the cats. so basicly one before and one after depending on how much changes the only thing you would need is 02 sensor extension.
What happens if I unplug the sensor? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by bluebeast06
Do you have a part# of the o2 extension sensor? Where can I find it?

Where will the o2 plug in to the cats part#94106 our do I need to get one more item?

need 2 o2 extension and what else besides the cats?

Any body have pictures so I can understand what to buy. I don't smog my truck I have IN. plates. Thanks for your help again.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by LincolnMarkLT20
Do you have a part# of the o2 extension sensor? Where can I find it?

Where will the o2 plug in to the cats part#94106 our do I need to get one more item?

need 2 o2 extension and what else besides the cats?

Any body have pictures so I can understand what to buy. I don't smog my truck I have IN. plates. Thanks for your help again.
BBK makes them the part number is 1676

Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
BBK makes them the part number is 1676
Thanks for the reply, sorry for asking stupid questions!!

So magnaflow cats #94106 will plug in to BBK#1676, so thats all I have to order to get them installed? Will I be using a part from stock cats? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 AM
BMS
if I am right, you can also get MIL eliminators that plug into the O2 sensors (if your new pipes only have bungs for 2) and keeps the computer from throwing a CEL. The 4 O2 sensors are really the 2 front function differently than the 2 after the cats. I think you can eliminate the 2 before and be fine. Very common in the mustang community to ditch 2 of the 4 cats and 2 O2 sensors if I remember correctly. Been a while.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
First off, if you have a 2006, you only have TWO cats. Late 2005 and forward all switched to 2 cats. Mine was fortunately a late 2005 and I only have two, so I know your 2006 only has two.

You have four O2 sensors. Two in front of the cats and two inside of them. The two inside them have nothing to do with emissions or mileage or anything like that. They basically just verify that the cats are there and working.

I dont know the part#, but Magnaflow makes a hi-flow cat that has the O2 ports in them like the factory cats do. The 94106's will of course be cheaper, but if you do a little research I'm sure you can find the part# that they have with the O2 ports in them.

If you get the 94106's, you have 3 options what to do with them to make sure the computer doesn't throw a code for the rear O2's.
1. Have the rear O2's welded 6-8" behind the new cat location
2. Hook up MIL eliminators to fool the PCM into thinking the O2's are there
3. Have the computer programmed to not look for them anymore

I went with option 3 and it works fine. No codes, no O2's plugged in, and no additional welding required.

Most exhaust places will know exactly what to do when it comes to anything OBD2 related and O2 sensors. Just make sure you talk to them ahead of time and they know where your O2 sensors are currently and know what they are doing. I called 3 places before I found one that knew the O2's were in the Cats and knew the stock configuration and went with them. They took about an hour, charged less than 150 bucks, and works perfect.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by BMS
if I am right, you can also get MIL eliminators that plug into the O2 sensors (if your new pipes only have bungs for 2) and keeps the computer from throwing a CEL. The 4 O2 sensors are really the 2 front function differently than the 2 after the cats. I think you can eliminate the 2 before and be fine. Very common in the mustang community to ditch 2 of the 4 cats and 2 O2 sensors if I remember correctly. Been a while.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
First off, if you have a 2006, you only have TWO cats. Late 2005 and forward all switched to 2 cats. Mine was fortunately a late 2005 and I only have two, so I know your 2006 only has two.

You have four O2 sensors. Two in front of the cats and two inside of them. The two inside them have nothing to do with emissions or mileage or anything like that. They basically just verify that the cats are there and working.

I dont know the part#, but Magnaflow makes a hi-flow cat that has the O2 ports in them like the factory cats do. The 94106's will of course be cheaper, but if you do a little research I'm sure you can find the part# that they have with the O2 ports in them.

If you get the 94106's, you have 3 options what to do with them to make sure the computer doesn't throw a code for the rear O2's.
1. Have the rear O2's welded 6-8" behind the new cat location
2. Hook up MIL eliminators to fool the PCM into thinking the O2's are there
3. Have the computer programmed to not look for them anymore

I went with option 3 and it works fine. No codes, no O2's plugged in, and no additional welding required.

Most exhaust places will know exactly what to do when it comes to anything OBD2 related and O2 sensors. Just make sure you talk to them ahead of time and they know where your O2 sensors are currently and know what they are doing. I called 3 places before I found one that knew the O2's were in the Cats and knew the stock configuration and went with them. They took about an hour, charged less than 150 bucks, and works perfect.
I want this option 3. Have the computer programmed to not look for them anymore.

Last edited by LincolnMarkLT20; 08-09-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: was not thinking!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LincolnMarkLT20
Hey thanks for helping, I have a custom tune from VMP, who programed yours to not have the o2 problem? Did you disconnect them? I would like to program my custom tune for that option. VMP told me I dont need a custom tune for high flows. If I add high flows #94106 could I just unplug the o2? Could I clear it with the SCT X3?
I want this option 3. Have the computer programmed to not look for them anymore, but from who. I have SCT X3 part#3000 87 performance tune.(love it)
Chances are he will not tell who did it for him, not in an open forum. He might send you a private message with that info. Having the rear O2's turned off so you can run w/o cats is technically a federal offense.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Chances are he will not tell who did it for him, not in an open forum. He might send you a private message with that info. Having the rear O2's turned off so you can run w/o cats is technically a federal offense.
Sorry don't want to get any body in trouble, I looked at the other high flows with the o2 but there is a big diffrence in price!! You think flowmaster 44 would be better than high flows? I have Gibson Super Truck exhuast 3" and it's to quiet! I'm trying to get more sound.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I think I under stand if I go with magnaflow # 94106 then I would also need O2 Sensor Fitting rings, so where would I weld them at the end of the cats? On the bottom of the pipe? Any pictures??? lol thats just asking to much..

Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
its not a federal offense if you tell them your only running it off road. and i had them weld the 02 bung after the cats on my 06 with no cel. if your straight piped it is super loud after hi flows it was probably atleast twice as loud as having the stock cats and straights

Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
To answer a few questions, I have a friend who has a program called HP Tuners which is all done via laptop. He has helped me with my previous cars and is primarily a GM tuner doing mostly Camaros, Vettes, GTO's, some trucks, etc.

He offered to tune things on my truck for me and we were able to get it all worked out. I'm sure that it's not exactly legal to do what we are doing, however, it at least does have Cats on it. With what we have done, the truck will pass the visual inspection as well as the roller inspection with the "sniffer test", so I'm not breaking any laws here in TX anyway.

Again not to advise someone to do it or not to do it, but this is what works for me and what gets me passed by within the guidelines that the state of TX and the county I live in have. It's no better or worse than doing MIL eliminators or anything like that.

Quick Reply: High Flow Cats o2 sensor