2004 - 2008 F-150

Rough Idle ***** Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle ***** Need advise

Ive researched all the topics in here on this to get were Im at today, but I need to know more please.

Background: 2004 FX4 6" Lift on 33's, Flowmaster, K&N, 89K miles

The Story: Normal drive home last week, came to a stop at a light and the motor just went limp... Idled like a diesel with a bad tune up, check engine light came on, I tapped the gas and it straightend out, ran fine until the next light and same crap idle. Got home and pulled the code. Said P0012. So I replaced the VCT Solenoid on the drivers side, along with cleanng the MAP sensor and a new fuel filter, and did a test drive. Runs like a champ! until it gets to normal temps and when I come to a light it goes into the rough idle mode again and I get the same engine code. So I think maybe the VCT from the drivers side was still good, so I put it in the passenger side, test drive and same story!!

So is my next step the Cam Sensors on the front of the heads?? or do I need to do the Cam Phasers?? Ive read that doing the Cam Phasers at home is a hell of a job or $1200 at a dealer... is that true? Also, could having one new VCT in with an older one cause an issue?? it was on $117 and easy to put in, should I get another?

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Jerry

Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres something i was reading yesterday. it refers to carbon build up inside the throttle body. it may not be your problem but it would be very easy to check and fix if it is. worth a shot anyway.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...ge-owners.html

Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks... Thats a good read. I've done that a couple of times already and also with this current issue. It does get dirty in there.

Originally Posted by bigchief2472000
heres something i was reading yesterday. it refers to carbon build up inside the throttle body. it may not be your problem but it would be very easy to check and fix if it is. worth a shot anyway.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...ge-owners.html

Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your welcome, i dont know anything about the cam phasers since i have a 4.6, but im sure someone here can help ya.

good luck

Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 PM
When you switched the VCT solenoid to the other side did you get a bank 2 DTC P0022?

According to the service manual anytime you get one of those codes you should trouble shoot the VCT as well as engine oil pressure issues.

I've haven't seen this code with your symptoms before. Usually the rough idle and stall issues are related to TPS, IAC, MAF and throttle body issues. Sometimes one of the aforementioned goes bad and the PCM can't manage the idle speed effectively.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Same Problem Here , Going Crazy with it !!

Hello there!

Im having the same issue as you and im going crazy with it for the last 2 weeks I haven't take it to the dealer beacuse they will rip me off I'm sure,

My father owns a repair shop and we been working on it since 2 weeks ago, that started doing rough idle and code p0012

PLease , Please if you fix it let me know !!

I already changed, both VCT selinoids and oil pump (crazy job) + I reset the chains on timing !!

Same thing aftar it gets warm it goes bad, It goes from perfect to real bad in no time !!

My is a Mustang gt 2008 4.6

Thank you !!!.

Alex - From Miami, Fl

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Change the Cam sensors fix the problem

Originally Posted by aalex6104
Hello there!

Im having the same issue as you and im going crazy with it for the last 2 weeks I haven't take it to the dealer beacuse they will rip me off I'm sure,

My father owns a repair shop and we been working on it since 2 weeks ago, that started doing rough idle and code p0012

PLease , Please if you fix it let me know !!

I already changed, both VCT selinoids and oil pump (crazy job) + I reset the chains on timing !!

Same thing aftar it gets warm it goes bad, It goes from perfect to real bad in no time !!

My is a Mustang gt 2008 4.6

Thank you !!!.

Alex - From Miami, Fl
I had the same problem like yours. It was fix after I change BOTH sensors. No more 0012 code.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle ***** Need advise