2004 - 2008 F-150

Decided to paint the axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Decided to paint the axle

It wasn't rusty, but I just didn't like how it looked. I scrubbed it with soap and water and let it fully dry. Sprayed it with flat black Rustoleum. I think it turned out well. It honestly took me about 20 mins. I taped off any silver colored bolts and hardware and used a little newspaper in over spray areas.

Before:

After:

Last edited by 2008_XL; 07-25-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks really good did you paint it with the axle installed

Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee2871
Looks really good did you paint it with the axle installed
Yep. I did not remove the axle or any bolts, hoses, etc. Took 20 minutes. Really really easy. Did not sand or anything.

Here are the exact steps I used:
*Wash axle with a brush and soap. Scrub it as much as possible.
*towel dry and let air dry for a couple hours.
*Tape off any parts you o not wish to be painted. Such as nuts, hoses and other non painted metal parts.
*Stuff newspaper behind wheels, in front of shocks and any other areas you might over spray.
*Spay with whatever paint you choose. I like the flat black Rustoleum for the factory new look.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 PM
That turned out really well. As asked above was it with the axle installed or off? must have been a crap load of taping if you didnt have it out haha

Old 07-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
That turned out really well. As asked above was it with the axle installed or off? must have been a crap load of taping if you didnt have it out haha
As i said the axle was still on the truck (I was probably replying at the same time as you haha).

It didn't take much taping at all. The only things I taped were the u bolt nuts and a couple other silver colored parts. I didn't even tape the newspaper. Just stuffed it in a couple spots.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Edit: I should also add, the painted pictured of the axle here taken when it's dirty! I had driven though a crazy storm yesterday and all the streets were flooded. Even after that, it still looks brand new with the fresh paint.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 07-26-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Wow that looks really good! I might think of doing this to the frame rails as well! No sanding though? Well I guess if there isnt rust or anything there's no need right?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by fordabbits
Wow that looks really good! I might think of doing this to the frame rails as well! No sanding though? Well I guess if there isnt rust or anything there's no need right?
Nope no sanding. Had there been rust, I would have sanded first. I plan on doing the entire undercarriage. I'm going to use the 3M rubberized undercoating in the wheel wells and inner body panels. I'll probably throw a coat or two of flat white over that as well.

I figure if I start now and do this every couple years, I can definitely prolong the rust issue.

Next up is the drive shaft. That will take a little sanding or some rust reformer because I don't think Ford paints or coats them at all. I'll get some before and after pics of that as well. I plan on doing everything in the next month.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks really good. I'll probably look under my truck tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM
That looks really good. I'm wondering, however, how long it'll stick on. I did something similar to this in the past on my last truck's fender wells and it stuck for quite some time but ended up sort of chipping off thereafter. I hope you have better luck than I. Nice job though.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Indo
That looks really good. I'm wondering, however, how long it'll stick on. I did something similar to this in the past on my last truck's fender wells and it stuck for quite some time but ended up sort of chipping off thereafter. I hope you have better luck than I. Nice job though.
Thanks for all the compliments. I really have no problem re doing it every year if I have to. I'd rather it say looking fresh anyway. Though, I must say, the axle really seems to soak up the fresh paint and since it's in an area that won't see quite as many rock and stones as a wheel well, I'd guess it'll stay in place for quite some time.

As I said, it honestly took m 20 minutes anyway, so it's no big deal.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Suspended
That looks great! Nice job. Hopefully you know what a clay bar is. If you don't it's going to be your best friend next weekend. If you rattle canned the rear axle under the rig you are going to have overspray that's just how rattle cans work....

Old 07-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Looks really nice, great job

Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 AM

Thanks again guys.

Yep, I clay the truck quite a bit. I figured I'd need to clay again before the next wax due to any over spray. The wind was extremely calm though, so I don't think there was much over spray if any.

When I do the entire underside, I'm going to tape newspaper all along the outside of the truck just to be sure I don't have to spend time claying when I wouldn't normally have to.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM
whats a clay bar?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the paint should hold up well, i spray bombed my diff cover silver (dont ask...thought it was cool at the time lol) almost 4 years ago and as long as i wipe the dirt off it every once and awhile it looks just like it did the day i painted it.

have fun doing the whole frame! i need to do this to mine as well lol

Quick Reply: Decided to paint the axle