2004 - 2008 F-150

camera wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doing that will turn the reverse lights on.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RGSMDNR, I'm not an electrical expert by any means. But, wouldn't it work if it was wired like this?
1 2
3 4
5 6
Terminal 1 = Battery Positive
Terminal 2 = Ground
Terminal 3 = Monitor Positive
Terminal 4 = Monitor Negative
Terminal 5 = Reverse wire positive
Terminal 6 = Ground

I grabbed my multimeter and tested the continuity of the posts and I think it'll work but need someone to show if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
sorry, i dont think i understand what you are referring too.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
The numbers 1-6 correspond to the terminals on the back of the double pole double throw switch. Should be just a matter of connecting the wires to the terminals as I outlined. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by hemigod
Actually, I think we're both sort of right. For about $150 - $249 depending where you buy it, you can get a Garmin VIB 11 (vehicle integration box) that has a video input and outputs to quite a few of the nuvi devices. The VIB 10 was a little cheaper, but it is discontinued. The nuvi 5000 does not require the additional purchase of this box. The 7200 also takes a video input without using the VIB 10/11. Had I realized this sooner, I probably would have bought the nuvi 5000.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/VIB10...ationGuide.pdf

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/VIB10...renceGuide.pdf
Wow, that's expensive. I paid $250 for the 5000 w/ the input

Old 06-17-2009, 07:56 PM
the current is still flowing through the switch.... i would still use a relay.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I was actually thinking about the "double pole" switch myself but I called it a 3 way switch (as in house wiring). Anyway, the guy at radio shack didn't know what I was talking about so I thought it may not exist.
I'm not an expert either but, I would guess it would work with running 2 wires?

one from the back up lights- to switch -to camera

and the other from hot source-to switch-to camera

?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by RGSMDNR
the current is still flowing through the switch.... i would still use a relay.
I'm not srue I follow on the relay. Why is it bad to have current going through the switch? is it a safety issue?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You could use a SPDT switch (single pole double throw) and wire it up with the center terminal to the camera, and one end to the backup lights power, and the other end to 12v +.

If you don't want to tie into the wires under your dash or fuse panel, just cut the power wire at the camera and extend both ends of that wire to reach your switch in the cab.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM

the single pole double throw switch would work.
Tap the middle to a relay ( pole #86 on the relay)
One side to a fused + on only when in the ac or on position.
The other to the pink/black wire at the kick panel for the reverse + input.

then wire up the relay accordingly.
86 from your switch
85 to ground
87 to the camera +
and 30 to a fused + batt lead

If you leave the switch in the reverse light on position at all times the cam will get power only when in reverse. When you flip the switch youll get demand cam. Just remember to flip it back down for reverse cam.

It would a bit better with a diode from the reverse and a single switch going to the relay.
Like that Reverse is always on when in reverse, but can be over-riden with the switch.
I plan on rewiring mine like that soon. Mines always demand reverse right now.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I had thought about a SPDT switch as well but suggested the DPDT for one reason and one reason only. In the unlikely event that you would want to disable the camera. For the life of me I can't think of a good reason not to use it after going through the effort to put one in. In any case...yeah, that'll work too.

Fabian - Wouldn't the DPDT eliminate the need for a relay and diode? You'll isolate the reverse wires (when the switch is in the demand cam mode) from providing a signal (same as a relay would do) and the constant power supply would be isolated when the switch is in the other position.

By the way, I like the "demand cam" term. Think I'll patent it. Every time you use it now you owe me a nickel.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by bdholsin

Fabian - Wouldn't the DPDT eliminate the need for a relay and diode? You'll isolate the reverse wires (when the switch is in the demand cam mode) from providing a signal (same as a relay would do) and the constant power supply would be isolated when the switch is in the other position.

By the way, I like the "demand cam" term. Think I'll patent it. Every time you use it now you owe me a nickel.
What i meant by the relay and diode, is to NOT use a SPDT switch, but just a regular general run of the mill switch as a simple override.
Like that, the cam is on "reverse" mode all the time, and you can flip the switch to get the cam on demand.... crap i guess it would be the same lol. I wasnt thinking, i was just thinking of having to switch the button back down to the "reverse" position and how i would forget to do that lol. :o
guess its the same as turning the regular switch off
Ive had a long day
(notice the slight of hand when using the cam on demand... Lol Im like the Coby to Sony electronics haha)

Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
I am by no means an expert on any of this stuff, but could we go another way with this and simplify? Could we just wire a line 'hot' through a switch and then into the reverse wire? Forget the cam automatically coming on when reverse is selected. Just put a simple rocker switch in, and when you want to turn the camera on, you flip the switch? Don't some switches come with diodes already in them?

SPDT and DPDT give me flashbacks to my circuits classes in highschool. I never did well on those.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM
put in the diode and additional toggle this weekend. Did exactly what I wanted it to. Kept it simple and works great.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Jimmy - which type of switch did you use?

Quick Reply: camera wiring question