2004 - 2008 F-150

camera wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camera wiring question

I just installed a back up camera using my Garmin Nuvi 5000 as the monitor.

I tapped the backup lights to power the camera so the camera comes on when in reverse.

Everything works well but, I would like to install an "override" toggle in the cab to turn the camera on even if I'm not in reverse.

I ran extra 14 awg wires alongwith the AV wire for the cam so, there is wiring from the dash to the cam and I can easily add a toggle to send power to the cam.

Here's the problem w/ that.. if I send direct power to the cam, since it's wired to the back up lights , they will light also. I heard about using a diode (I guess it's like a one way check valve??) but I'm not sure.

Any help on what to buy and how to install is appreciated.

thanks

Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are correct. Using a diode is what you need to do. Install the diode into the power feed coming from the backup lights going to the camera. Splice in your aux power from the switch downstream from the diode, between the diode and camera. This setup will allow the backup lights to power the camera in reverse and prevent backfeed when your have the aux power switched on. If the setup only works with aux power and your lights come on, reverse the leads on the diode and try again.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:58 AM
thanks 05RedFX4, Do you know what size to use? The ones I've seen at Radio Shack seem really small(like for circuit board or something) They did have 12 V but, it still seems really small to me. not sure what one to go with and the workers there are clueless.
Or do I need to pick this up at auto parts store?

thanks again

Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would try to find one rated for at least 12v dc and have a current capacity that can handle the power needs of the camera.

I.E. if your camera pulls 1 amp at 12v then you need a diode that can handle that much. try googling "12v diodes" and see what you come up with. You can get a lot more info on the web than those flunkies a radio hack can give you.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 5000 has a aux video input??

Old 06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I would try to find one rated for at least 12v dc and have a current capacity that can handle the power needs of the camera.

I.E. if your camera pulls 1 amp at 12v then you need a diode that can handle that much. try googling "12v diodes" and see what you come up with. You can get a lot more info on the web than those flunkies a radio hack can give you.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

RGSMDNR, yes, it does. That's the only reason I went with it. I believe the Nuvi 800's also have it but they cost more than I wanted to spend.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by jimmy k
I'll have to check that out, thanks.

RGSMDNR, yes, it does. That's the only reason I went with it. I believe the Nuvi 800's also have it but they cost more than I wanted to spend.
I have a Nuvi 885T. No aux video input. I believe only the Nuvi 5000 in the Garmin line has aux video input.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 PM
If you are going to use your reverse lights and an override switch to operate the camera, I would use a relay. They dont draw alot of current so you dont have to worry about using a big diode.

Im not sure where you tapped the reverse lead, but im sure you can do all the wiring in the drivers kick panel.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by hemigod
I have a Nuvi 885T. No aux video input. I believe only the Nuvi 5000 in the Garmin line has aux video input.

I'm sure you're right but, this is where I saw it. Looks like their street pilot 7200 also which I think is disontinued.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/sit...back+up+camera

click on the last question

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by RGSMDNR
If you are going to use your reverse lights and an override switch to operate the camera, I would use a relay. They dont draw alot of current so you dont have to worry about using a big diode.

Im not sure where you tapped the reverse lead, but im sure you can do all the wiring in the drivers kick panel.
How and where does this get installed? Also, what size/type would I use? thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Here is a picture of a relay. Its a 12 volt relay, i prefer to use Bosch.

ignore the writing on the picture, but follow this...

connect your reverse/push button wire to #86
connect #85 to chassis ground
connect #30 to a 12v source (id use a line that is hot when the ignition is on)
connect #87 to the camera (positive)

Id also use a switched source for the toggle switch.

hope this helps...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by RGSMDNR
Here is a picture of a relay. Its a 12 volt relay, i prefer to use Bosch.

ignore the writing on the picture, but follow this...

connect your reverse/push button wire to #86
connect #85 to chassis ground
connect #30 to a 12v source (id use a line that is hot when the ignition is on)
connect #87 to the camera (positive)

Id also use a switched source for the toggle switch.

hope this helps...

thanks for the pic

so is the purpose of using the relay to be able to run a smaller diode? Like a transformer?
BTW, I tapped into the pink/black (back up lamps)wire from the trailer wiring harness if that makes any difference

Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm sure you're right but, this is where I saw it. Looks like their street pilot 7200 also which I think is disontinued.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/sit...back+up+camera

click on the last question
Actually, I think we're both sort of right. For about $150 - $249 depending where you buy it, you can get a Garmin VIB 11 (vehicle integration box) that has a video input and outputs to quite a few of the nuvi devices. The VIB 10 was a little cheaper, but it is discontinued. The nuvi 5000 does not require the additional purchase of this box. The 7200 also takes a video input without using the VIB 10/11. Had I realized this sooner, I probably would have bought the nuvi 5000.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/VIB10...ationGuide.pdf

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/VIB10...renceGuide.pdf

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
thanks for the pic

so is the purpose of using the relay to be able to run a smaller diode? Like a transformer?
BTW, I tapped into the pink/black (back up lamps)wire from the trailer wiring harness if that makes any difference
Its usually a good idea to operate any device with a relay. That way the current that the camera draws, isnt going through the switch.

Shouldnt matter where you tap the wire, but im sure you can find that wire in the drivers kick panel.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't a double pole double throw switch work for this? One position will be normal operation with the reverse lights powering the camera. Second, (middle position would be off) and the third position would be an independent power source like the battery so you can see what's behind you as you're cruising down the road.

Quick Reply: camera wiring question