Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats sweet, good hiding place for when our guns are taken away

Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjp207
thats sweet, good hiding place for when our guns are taken away
For the life of me I can't remember who on this site has their avatar set as the picture below but that is the only way that my guns will be taken away.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...ive-em-up.html

Last edited by bdholsin; 05-26-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Tell me...how in the world do I embed the pictures in my posts? Can't figure it out.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by bdholsin
I do indeed carry it on me (yes, I have my CCW permit here in MI). This is for the times where I have to go into a building that I'm not allowed to carry, i.e. post office, any federal building, school, bar (actually I don't really go to bars), etc. I can just pop it open and stow it. I just wanted it for a little more piece of mind that my weapon is safe when it isn't on me. I shudder at the thought of having to take it off me for just a few minutes and finding out that it isn't where I left it. Just being responsible.
I wasnt trying to be **** just wondering what the purpose was. That makes sense indeed. I have never really worried about mine in the console but with the world today thats a really good idea

How is it mounted? Directly to the floor board? Would it be hard for a thug to remove if your truck was broken into? I might seriously check into one.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by bdholsin
Tell me...how in the world do I embed the pictures in my posts? Can't figure it out.
Find the img code through your photo, i.e. Photobucket is a good host site. Once you upload the picture, come here and click on the little yellow icon with the mountains. Add the image code in the box that pops up. Submit reply and your pic will appear. Trust me took awhile for me to figure out also. Im really computer stupid!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by rabbit hunter
I wasnt trying to be **** just wondering what the purpose was. That makes sense indeed. I have never really worried about mine in the console but with the world today thats a really good idea

How is it mounted? Directly to the floor board? Would it be hard for a thug to remove if your truck was broken into? I might seriously check into one.
I used 5/16" x 1 1/2" grade 8 bolts (coarse thread) and nylon lock nuts. You'll have to drill (don't cringe too much) straight through your carpet. I double and triple checked my mounting location to verify that there was nothing down there to damage when I drilled. After drilling you will need an additional set of hands to mount it. I put the bolts in place from the inside of the cabin and put the nylon lock nuts on from the bottom. The second set of hands will have to hold the bolt head in place while you torque the nuts down. The logic here is that in the unlikely event that someone does find out that you have the gun vault they still won't be able to remove it because the bolt heads on the mounting bracket are covered by the vault itself. If the nuts are loosened then they will just spin the bolt after a half turn or so. The only way it can be removed is to take the vault off the mounting bracket and get to the bolt head to hold it. Just like installation, it will take two people to remove it. Quite secure in my opinion.

After securing the mounting bracket it is just a matter of securing the gun vault to the bracket and installing the locking bar (inside per the well written instructions that come with it). Once the locking bar is in place you can't remove the vault from the bracket. Your piece (or whatever else you may be stowing in it) is secure from attack.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the bracket in the mounted position without the vault in place. It is pouring rain right now so I'm going to hold off for the time. Seems to be good weather to be a duck right now.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Very nice install . I think this location is perfect.....less likely to be noticed. I think the center counsol is the first place a thief would look for valubles .

I'm also looking for a good autoloader . My favorite is the Desert Eagle .50 but it isn't very practical so I'm considering the Smith & Wesson M&P .45 autoloader.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks Bd, I am going to check into one of these. Have always saw them but after you post I thats a good idea.

Drunk, the M&P is a great gun. I would recommend one to anyone. Also check into Springfield xd's, or Glock, if you go the plastic gun route. Glocks dont fit me right so I went with the xd. It fits and shoots better then any Glock ive ever held/shot.

Also look into a good 1911. Colt, Kimber, etc.. If you have ever shot one or get to shoot one you'll fall in love

Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I tried the Springfield XD in GAP .45...seemed redundant to my Kimber so I got rid of it. Didn't have any complaints about it...just didn't really need it. Ended up getting my 92FS with it. You can't go wrong with Kimber or Beretta. I'd have to say my Kimber is my all time favorite.

As far as plastic guns...don't forget to check out the S&W SW99 compact. The only reason I don't have mine any more is I got my Walther PPK in .380 and didn't need the compact 9 mm any more as I had the Beretta.

Jeez, I'm rambling.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:35 AM
As I promised yesterday here is a picture of the mounting plate. I was short one bolt so still need to slip the last one in place but you can see how it looks before the vault is installed. Click here to see the pic.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Just got an e-mail from Titan Gun vault. They are running a 4th of July sale. You can get one for $199 now ($50 off).

Old 06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
What happens when u need to get it quick??? I'm a dep. sheriff so my Glock and 38 are both readily accessible. One in the door pocket and the other on me. Great install BTW.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Heh, when I need to get it quick I draw it off my hip...which by the way has never happened. The gun vault is only if you need to stow the weapon. In my case that applies for places I'm prohibited from carrying, school, sports arenas, church (not that I go), or Federal buildings. In your case, as a sheriff, you are probably exempt from many of these places.

Thanks for the compliment on the install.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good... Wish I had the room...
Under my back seat is a custom down firing sub plus two amps...

Last edited by jdruzik; 07-01-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by jdruzik
Looks good... Wish I had the room...
Isn't there room under your back seat?

Quick Reply: Gun Vault Installed