2004 - 2008 F-150

looking for a good,reasonable backup camera system

Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a good,reasonable backup camera system

Need a little help finding a back up camera system(monitor & camera) for my 04 FX4 Screw.

I mainly want it for safety and backing up into parking spots. I was looking at the VR3 (under $100) but, hear mixed reviews and don't want something that will not last. I'd rather spend a little more for something that will work well without interference and is weather proof.

I'd prefer not to spend more than 200.

Should I be looking at a "hard wired" system? Also, I am looking for something that will look decent inside the cab( I have the center console)

Opinions on units and install locations are greatly appreciated! I'm not sure what to believe on the write ups I've found.

Thanks guys

Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
ill tell you what there is a really nice one at sams club its like 75 bucks it looks a look better that the one from walmart

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=415008

or this oned more expensive
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=333129

Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally, i would buy a deck capable of a rearview camera output, way more slick IMO

you can get a pioneer p4000dvd (nice deck for the price) for 300 off ebay and grab a camera off ebay and your set.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by ATOM
personally, i would buy a deck capable of a rearview camera output, way more slick IMO

you can get a pioneer p4000dvd (nice deck for the price) for 300 off ebay and grab a camera off ebay and your set.

I definitely agree with that for the looks. I'm not too fond of trying to find a decent spot for the camera monitor but, I really don't have $400 right now to go that route & since our son is 2 now and running all over the place, I would rather not wait.

Thanks bankrpt, I didn't think about Sam's. I have a BJ's we belong to. I may check out what they have.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I just bought a cheapo reverse camera off eBay to go with my avic-d3. So far it works great. For only thirty bucks I'm not complaining. I'll get some pics when I get off work

Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I have pics of my 08 tailgate handle with an ebay camera in it connected to my Clarion flip out screen. It cost me about $ 110.00 all said and done as I already had the screen.

More pics in my profile.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I just bought a cheapo reverse camera off eBay to go with my avic-d3. So far it works great. For only thirty bucks I'm not complaining. I'll get some pics when I get off work
Linky?

I've been meaning to get one for awhile. With my tint it can make things hard.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:42 PM

do u have a link , i have the D3 too, and for 30 bucks i could use a rear camera lol

and also if u have a pic where u mounted it

Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Sorry guys, Ill get y'all some pics tomorrow, freaking rain that will give me a chance to clean up the wiring a little bit too. Its mounted smack in the center of my rear liscense plate, its the only place I could find that I was happy with. getting the tailgate camera handle deal would be nice, but I like the 'cheapness' of this mod

here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3AIT&viewitem=

Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 AM
if you would like i can pick you up one of these from sams i looked at them today they are 79 dollars and i could ship it do you for probably 10 bucks im not looking to make any money off of this just trying to help a fellow man out they also come with a pedestal mount it looks really nice

Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Sorry guys, Ill get y'all some pics tomorrow, freaking rain that will give me a chance to clean up the wiring a little bit too. Its mounted smack in the center of my rear liscense plate, its the only place I could find that I was happy with. getting the tailgate camera handle deal would be nice, but I like the 'cheapness' of this mod

here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390037346921&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

i see the it's pretty much plug and play , but is there anything special connections you needed to do for it to come on when you put the truck in reverse ? im just trying to decide if i can do this or not lol

also do you think the one you posted would be able to fit in the spare tire key hole ?

Last edited by IDNC76; 05-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by IDNC76
i see the it's pretty much plug and play , but is there anything special connections you needed to do for it to come on when you put the truck in reverse ? im just trying to decide if i can do this or not lol

also do you think the one you posted would be able to fit in the spare tire key hole ?
Wiring took me a bit to figure out, but its really simple now that its done and I can tell you how to do this in about half an hour. Most of that half hour is just taking stuff apart to run wiring. As for fitting in the spare tire key hole, its possible. I think when I measured it it was just over an inch in diameter.

the wiring is basically just tap into a ground (or make one) somewhere at the back of the truck. I made a ground behind the drivers side tail light when i installed the hella LED tails. Then tap into the Purple/white wire of the reverse bulb wiring at the back of the truck. Run the RCA jack to the headunit, and plug into the reverse cam input from the headunit. Take the D3 reverse sensor wire (purple/white I think) and tap it into either a black/pink wire under the dash or a grey/pink wire in the door sill, I cant remember which so ill check on that one. It should come on when you drop into reverse and go off when you go to drive or park if its all wired right.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bankrpt
if you would like i can pick you up one of these from sams i looked at them today they are 79 dollars and i could ship it do you for probably 10 bucks im not looking to make any money off of this just trying to help a fellow man out they also come with a pedestal mount it looks really nice
I bought 2 of those from Sam's Club. They were $99. when I bought 'em about 2 weeks ago. I'll tell you 1 thing, they are 1 nice set-up. They are definitely not an $80.-$100. BU camera- they are worth a whole lot more than that. They even have AV input w/sound (not the camera that comes with it.) I put 1 on the truck and rigged 1 to monitor the front door in case i don't want to open it. (can't see who's there til you open it.) It's wireless and works great! Just mounted the monitor on the wall in the living room and then used a 2nd camera with sound that I bought a while back and run that to AV input so I can monitor both front and back. It even looks good on the wall.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by bankrpt

Appreciate the offer.

My parents belong to a Sams by them. I may go this weekend with them to check it out. I don't think they let ya in the door without a card to even look at stuff if I remember right.

Code58, where did you mount the monitor in the truck?

Old 05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm now thinking about getting a new GPS unit and hooking a camera up through that since my GPS wind up in the wifes car anyway and it would do 2 functions with one unit.

Did anyone do this set up? I'm looking to spend around $200 if that's possible and would prefer to go with a brand name GPS unit.

Thanks for any help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking for a good,reasonable backup camera system