2004 - 2008 F-150

Bad Injector?...Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Injector?...Need your opinion

Last night coming home the truck started to have a soft miss. I was only about three miles from home, so I decided to head on up to the house. No CEL for the rest of the trip, and the miss got worse. Backed it into the garage and got out to an awful smell of raw gas from the exhaust. The fumes managed to get into the house in short order, so I coasted out into the driveway and aired out the garage. I was suprised that the CO detector didn't go off. Anyway, I just let it set out there last night and checked things out this morning. I opened the oil filler cap (5.4L) to more of the awful gas smell. All of this hints to a stuck injector IMO. No CEL, gasoline smell, missing cylinder, and I have that notorious letter from Ford saying that they will cover injectors out to 100K or something. Regardless, I had it rollback towed down to Longmont Ford for service on Monday morning. The service advisor (Junior) said that Ford will pay for the tow bill if it is an injector stuck open. One question here...How much damage (if any) do you guys think there may be to the cylinder wall/rings? If this thing was dumping fuel in with no spark, I am guessing that some oil was thinned. Thoughts, thanks.

Last edited by KSpencer; 04-13-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
They ended up replacing my engine due to a stuck injector. The fuel in the cylinder bent a rod and Ford replaced the short block. Fought with them for 4 months to finally get my bills paid and to get the fuel smell problem fixed (I think). Ended up getting a lawyer involved to resolve it all. Hope your dealer treats you better.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I would take it in, especially if you got the letter about 2005 injectors. Mine started acting up on friday and hydrolocked yesterday..

Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Update:

They have diagnosed the problem as an open injector, but it may actually be two out of the eight. What are the chances that two go at the same time. Regardless, they are working on it. I don't think that I have any bottom end damage as I only drove for three or so miles to the house. We will see about things later today.

Last edited by KSpencer; 04-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by KSpencer
Update:

They have diagnosed the problem as an open injector, but it may actually be two out of the eight. What are the chances that two go at the same time. Regardless, they are working on it. I don't think that I have any botton end damage as I only drove for three or so miles to the house. We will see about things later today.
I only drove maybe 6 miles to the mechanic. I actually had two stuck open.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
I had 3 stuck open. Wish I couldve got a new short block.

Last edited by atthelake27; 05-05-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Resolved

Well, I drove it home today smooth as glass. Cylinder #4 had the stuck injector while #6 would stick about every 20th injection at idle. I guess that one can have two go bad at the same time. Both were replaced under the extended injector warranty, the oil was changed, and they covered the towing bill on Saturday. The wife dropped me off at the dealership, and I was already out the door to see here leave the lot. If anyone in the Longmont area needs a good dealership, Longmont Ford has been a straight shooter with me.

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, that's a good deal. Congrats!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Man, that's a good deal. Congrats!
Thanks. I just wish that Ford would go ahead and replace all of them. Junior just said "That will be the day." I guess that I will just have to keep a finger on the injector pulse until another goes. But many times, the dealership can be half the battle. I'm just lucky.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When mine stuck it blew out the catalytic converter also...be aware of that....

Quick Reply: Bad Injector?...Need your opinion