2004 - 2008 F-150

Loud Buzz coming through intake tube 04 F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Buzz coming through intake tube 04 F150

Ok, Im asking this to help my house A/C guy. He has an 04 F-150 with a 5.4. He had me listen to this noise that his truck is making and it's horrendous!!! He starts the truck up, and for about 5-10 seconds its fine. Then it starts this horrible loud humm-buzz sound through the intake tube. There are a couple of hoses that connect to the intake tube closer to the engine, that face backwards. I unhooked the upper one and the noise went away, for the brief few seconds the engine ran as pulling this hose totally shut the engine off. I'd hook it back up, he'd restart it, and like before, short pause, then the noise. I said I had no clue I'd ask the experts on this one. I suspected some sort of EGR Solenoid but may be way off.

Noise was so loud I could hear it from a block away. He has to keep his stereo cranked up so it doesnt drive him totally batty lol

Any ideas what to look for? Thanks.....

Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The intake tube may have come loose from the rubber grommet in the fender, making a buzzing rattle sound. It happened to me, I found it and popped it back in and all is good.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
The intake tube may have come loose from the rubber grommet in the fender, making a buzzing rattle sound. It happened to me, I found it and popped it back in and all is good.
Whats up bro? haha I figured you'd be the first to reply lol.

No the sound doesnt seem to be coming from there, it sounds like it's up in the intake tube. It starts and stops instantly, almost like something switching on and off, and sounds the same regardless of throttle. It was so loud I could hear it very loudly two houses away when he turned around in the cul-de-sac to leave.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ram_This
Whats up bro? haha I figured you'd be the first to reply lol.

No the sound doesnt seem to be coming from there, it sounds like it's up in the intake tube. It starts and stops instantly, almost like something switching on and off, and sounds the same regardless of throttle. It was so loud I could hear it very loudly two houses away when he turned around in the cul-de-sac to leave.
Hey man, haha, just made the connection.

Maybe it's a petrified rat wedged in the intake tube? :o

How positive are you that it's coming from the tube? Is it a harmonic type sound? Weird it's switching on and off like that.

There are some good knowledgeable techs here that may chime in with the answer you're looking for. Besides, it is Daytona 500 time.

Other than that, enjoy some warm milk in the meantime.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Ohh its so damn hot, milk was a baaaad choice.....

No the sound is steady. Almost like a reed. Next time he comes over (the AC guy will have to replace the blower motor sometime early this week) I'll have a closer look. He said when he unclamped the air filter housing, its a big round filter over on the driver side, and he pulled the air filter out and had the intake tube and intake side of the filter housing totally off the "fender" side if you will, it still made that noise. I'll also video it if I can capture it and see if that helps diagnose it.

He's done such a good job for me what with completely replacing my house HVAC unit I'd like to help him out somewhat if I could. I didnt get any freebies though but, yeah lol. Maybe if I can tell him exactly what's wrong with his truck he'd give me a free AC service or something....

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Heritage or new body style '04 F150?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Aftermarket intake? The NBS 04-08 F150's with a 5.4 don't have a round air filter.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Where's that video? I know, you're new, you're new, you don't know what to do.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Heritage or new body style '04 F150?
Ummmmmm, not sure lol. I didnt look that close. What year did the body change to the current look? I know it's not the body that started in 97 (I had a 96 F150 brand new, last year of that body) then they went to the really rounded body in 97, the one like the Lightning bodies, then I thought sometime around 03 or 04 they changed again. I know the front doors look like the new ones, with the lower front half of the door felts than the back half.

Air filter housing is definitely stock, and it's round, mounted behind the driver side headlight up by the core support and fender.

No pics or vids yet I havent heard back from him but should in the next few days.

Oh and now that I think about it, the truck was hit on the driver side front corner, they bought it as a theft recovery and had a realllllly poor repair job done you can see all the bondo and sanding marks lol.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Where's that video? I know, you're new, you're new, you don't know what to do.
You wanna fight? Why dont you stick your head up my *** and fight for air!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Ummmmmm, not sure lol. I didnt look that close. What year did the body change to the current look? I know it's not the body that started in 97 (I had a 96 F150 brand new, last year of that body) then they went to the really rounded body in 97, the one like the Lightning bodies, then I thought sometime around 03 or 04 they changed again. I know the front doors look like the new ones, with the lower front half of the door felts than the back half.

Air filter housing is definitely stock, and it's round, mounted behind the driver side headlight up by the core support and fender.

No pics or vids yet I havent heard back from him but should in the next few days.

Oh and now that I think about it, the truck was hit on the driver side front corner, they bought it as a theft recovery and had a realllllly poor repair job done you can see all the bondo and sanding marks lol.
The new body style was from 04-08, but the 97-03 included another 04, called the heritage, that looks just like the 97-03.

2004 f150 heritage

2004 f150 NBS

Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Dang!

Its the NBS then. I might see him tomorrow (well today) evening. They called and said the part was in for my AC so I gotta call them in the mornging and set a time to meet them here so they can install it. I'll get pics/videos then hopefully.....

Old 02-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Same here. Lost some "go" due to to much air. Caught it quickly to hopefully no harm done.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:54 AM
You wanna fight? Why dont you stick your head up my *** and fight for air!
Ouch! Why the hostility?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Dang!

Its the NBS then. I might see him tomorrow (well today) evening. They called and said the part was in for my AC so I gotta call them in the mornging and set a time to meet them here so they can install it. I'll get pics/videos then hopefully.....
Inside joke. All is well.

Ram_This is a friend of mine. We were trading lines from Joe Dirt.

Quick Reply: Loud Buzz coming through intake tube 04 F150