2004 - 2008 F-150

What's the #1 complaint about '04-'08 F150s

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, this is my 1st Ford. I have an '08 Lariat, SCrew 4X4. I love it. I have 30K on it now. Before this one I was a GM guy. I had replaced dang near every electrical wire, motor, connection, relay, alternator, starter, CV joint, radiator, water pump, engine, seal...pretty much REBUILD the whole POS on both chevys and gmcs. My biggest complaints with my ford are,
#1. GAS, I can't keep gas in the thing, (something about driving it - A LOT)
#2. DIRTY, Like DOSH212 said, can't keep it out of the puddles!
#3. Brake dust, I think it's related to #1 and #2 (driving...)
#4. Its a frickin TRUCK not a luxury car...
#5. Unlike my previous GMs, I actually have to change the oil AND the filter. The gms leaked and burned so much oil, as long as I kept adding oil and change the filter I was good...I never had to drain the oil on them.
#6, Yeah, I did have to get the blend door actuator replaced, free.ninety-free at the stealership.
#7, It's not going to last forever...

Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 AM
2004 f150 lariat 5.4 liter with nearly 85k miles on it. Only issue I've ever had has been the window regulators... All four of them have been replaced now. Other than tha t has been a great truck. Towed trailers and boats across town, across the country

Old 07-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to say the power window regulators are my biggest complaint on my 05 so far.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Dropping a valve with 147k miles.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Well, I just read this thread start to finish, several years worth of posts.

I bought my '07 FX4 Flareside Scab August 2009, it had 28 K miles on it. It appeared well taken care of, already had a Line X and LoProQT cover and cat back exhaust and an AM intake tube only, stock filter housing. I love the truck. The power was there when I tested her.

Stock, I didn't like the shifting, a SC FP 1865 Tuner from Troyers cured the shifting and enhanced throttle response and even helped mileage some as well as power.

Presently, she's got 36 K miles on her, I built a carport to keep her out of the sun and weather, plan to have her a long time. I can get nearly what I paid in 2009 if desired. I love the interior, seats, leather, AC that'll run me out, great radio too. I don't use her off road a lot, I wanted 4wd for the utility and the low range and so I can go where needed without worrying about stuck. She has been here to see a real doozy of a winter 09-10 and a not so bad winter 10-11.

The Perelli Scorpions 275/55-20 were poor responders at 35 psi, at 45 psi they are much better responding to steering imputs and at 36 K, she still has two originals on her and two that I think were replacced before I bought her as two looked new. I have 4 stacked up in the basement waiting for their turn. I used my '77 F-150 or the Forester for winter snow duties when not in the police car so I cannot attest to the Perellis in snow.

I know she has original brakes still, and they look less than 1/2 worn. Rotors are smooth. (I had also looked at a well maintained '08 when I found this one, it had fewer miles and when I tested it, I noted it needed 4 rotors and pads all around already. Whomever owned it was hard on brakes, using brakes for all slow downs. ) As a state police officer of 30+ years, I learned very early in my career the value of laying off the brakes, conserving them, anticipating needs. I still find my foot subconscoiusly coming off my brake pedal as I start to turn into a corner.

My only complaint with this '07 FX4 Scab is that when shutting the doors, they seem "loose". It's part of the deal though, as Scabs have rear mini doors that open in reverse. Wife and I have adapted, I do love the longer front door and the totally open side when both are opened.

I've been lucky so far, IWEs work well and I use them once a month in the yard at least, never on hard pavement. I haven't changed plugs yet, but will at near 50K. She'll get a trans fluid / filter change at near 50 K as well. I use only Motoprcraft filter and oil in her. Windows work great, and I spray liberally with silicone spray down the window tracks to make their job easier.

Not a complaint, she is what she is after all, but I would like her about 2" lower in front and maybe 3" lower in back.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM
well it has been a beast off road compared to other 1/2 tons. But this thing is a snail!!!

Quick Reply: What's the #1 complaint about '04-'08 F150s