2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission blown at 67k

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kinda have to agree with the first reply of this post, even though he meant it as a joke. If you have your tranny serviced (flushed) every 30k miles, you are more liable to have problems.
For one thing, I remember one of the advantages Ford gave about the 04+ f150 when it was introduced is that the tranny didnt need any service until 100k. I know the dealers tell you 30k but that is just ridiculous. (I cant imagine why they would recommend thiis, haha). Btw, I work at a Ford store so dont think I'm a dealer basher. It's just unnecessary to flush your tranny that often. Kinda goes along with the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" saying, which I normally wouldnt practice but in this case I think it's true.

To kind of back this up some, our 99 Expedition has 192,000 miles and has never had any service except for oil/filter changes and air-filter changes. No tranny service, no spark plug service (this will come soon though), any flush of any kind. ZERO problems. Just new brakes when needed and an O2 sensor.

Also, a 1997 ranch truck 7.3 diesel with 306k miles. Tows 12000 lbs every week and spends 90% of its life getting the crap beat out of it on a ranch. Same as above...oil/filter changes and thats it. Never had a tranny problems

Time will tell on my f150...4 years old now and just turned 36k miles. So far no mechanical problems. I plan to follow the same maintainence as above though. If it breaks, then I'll fix it. If not, great. Simple as that.

I feel for you though. It never feels good shelling out big bucks for a problem that happened against all odds.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wasn't the dealer. It was the manual as far as I remember. Regardless, it happened, I doubt I'm going to service it again for a hundred thousand miles.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Boy, I'm in a catch-22 on this one. If over-servicing it can cause problems (doesn't make complete sense to me, but I can understand) I may be screwed after 75k. I was reading my ESP booklet thingy and it said I have to service the trans (drain-and-fill) every 6k or they don't have eto pay for any trans repairs. Knock on wood, at 61k I haven't had any problems, but I do have the big jar of Vaseline just in case

Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have about 42k miles on mine right now and have been debating on getting the fluid exchange done since most of the miles are stop and go. I just haven't decided yet but it seems there are quite a few of these trannys crapping out. This last spring I was at the dealer getting plugs changed and there were 2 guys getting new trannys too.

I wish there was an optional manual for the v8's. With around 240k miles on my old ranger all it ever needed was the syncros replaced and while I was in there I replaced the clutch even though it didn't need it at that time. That truck was put through hell and back too.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I actually just looked at my service folder, I never had a flush at 30k, I thought I had it done, but I definetely didn't. It was done at 60,537 miles. regardless I probly over serviced it.

I think I am going to get a edge or a gryphon to firm up the shifts a little bit here in the next couple of weeks. Maybe that will increase the life expectancy.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if it's the stealerships' fault for this f/u.. Reason I say this is b/c all the ones in my area say they just dump some cleaning solvent(made by BG) in the tranny, drive it a few minutes, then flush the tranny. They don't recommend and say Ford doesn't recommend dropping the pan b/c the BG solvent cleans the screen. All but one stealership says this truck has only a screen to clean but I've been told by one Ford shop and all the privately owned shops that's not true. Autozone sells a filter for this truck that looks just like any other tranny filter. I'm thinking that dropping the pan more often and changing the filter and fluid(though not all) may be better in the long run than these flushes that don't recommend filter changes.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Mine was flushed at 30K, I am now debating weather or not to keep this up.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
If I was you, I would keep up with the trans maint every 30k . I just had the dealership do a fluid exchange to a full synthetic ATF. I just asked them not to use any detergent or conditioner. The dealership that I went to, uses SelTec Automatic Transmission Conditioner when they flush the trans.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't know for sure(I wouldn't think though) but I wouldn't think the fluid exchange would hurt anything but rather I don't know if the detergents/conditioners are beneficial to the tranny. I do wonder if the filter is the key to longevity in these trannys. If the filter isn't changed and the additives don't actually clean it as well as stated, we would expect the tranny to crump due to starvation due to clogging of the filter. I plan to drop my pan at 60k and change/clean up everything irregardless of whether I continue with the 30k fluid exchanges(flushes).

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Ford stoppd puting in the converter drain plug around 2003. So you can't drain the converter anymore. About half the fluid is in the converter. So they started flushing the system to "change" the converter fluid. But when you flush they don't change the filter.

When I changed the fluid on my2001 at 30 k miles the filter was caked with metal & band/clutch pack stuff. I think its from braking in the "new" tranny. I think the filter has to be changed every 30k miles. But then the converter fluid isn't changed since Ford stopped puting in drain plugs in the converter.

Catch 22 situation.

I plan to drop the pan, change the filter at 30k miles. Put in about 6 quarts on mercon 5. The problem is there's 6 quarts of old fluid with crude in it left in the tranny.

Any other ideas?

Adding a drain plug to the converter would be a good idea but not practical.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Maybe drop the pan, change the filter, put 6 qts back in it, then flush it?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTRider245
When I had mine flushed, they didnt/wouldnt replace the filter, is that standard?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Exclamation

I think the best thing is to add a drain plug to the converter on the first tranny fluid change. Ford stopped put in drain plugs to SAVE A FEW BUCKS for them, ends up costing the owners a tranny job latter!

First you need to be part machinist!
Or have a mechanic your trust do it.

Remove rubber plug below converter.
Drill hole in converter for drain plug
Let tranny fluid drain out.
Tap hole for drain plug.
If you screw this up your up the creek!!!
Install drain plug with Lotite blue.

Drop pan, change filter the way its been done for the last 50 years.
Refill with 12 quarts of mercon5.

Now you have clean tranny fluid! No clutch, band or metal particles.

Any comments?

Jerry
Pittsburgh PA

Old 11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Um... maybe I'm no brighter then a Black light but any reason this wasn't covered under the 100k warranty??? You got my curious and I did some research says any Certified Preowned now includes 72/100k warranty if purchased after 4/08 (I bought mine in 6/08) so I know you got your truck earlier but why was it not covered?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
It wasnt certified pre-owned and I don't have an extended warranty, aka SOL

Quick Reply: Transmission blown at 67k