2004 - 2008 F-150

DIY Black Headlights Done...again lots of pics...not 56k friendly

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was off today so I decided to do this mod...

Gas oven at 300, lights in for 7 minutes, everything went fine until I applied the black seleant and tried to put them back together. What a freakin mess, it was ridiculous and for some reason it doesn't seem like the lens sit well in the channel. I'm only assume because of prying apart the back case got warped. Well I have tie down straps around them now and wife ran out to get me more seleant so I can run a thick bead around the outside.

Personally, F this mod, I would never do it again knowing the pain in the **** it would turn out to be. Oh and I ended up with tiny spider webbin on my which is only noticeable from the side angle view.

If all turns out well, which it normally doesn't as my wife always says, I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Before:

After:

Up Close:

And this is what I used to paint them:

One of the biggest PIA mods I have done so far but I think it looks nice.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looking good man

Old 08-20-2009, 05:24 PM
how do you do it?

hey does anyone know all the steps to doing this mod i want to do it and have the time just dont know all the steps, so if any of you have a list of the steps that you can send me or just post a web site with the steps i would appreciate it much, thanks guys for all the good ideas on mods to my truck...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by FordMan7
hey does anyone know all the steps to doing this mod i want to do it and have the time just dont know all the steps, so if any of you have a list of the steps that you can send me or just post a web site with the steps i would appreciate it much, thanks guys for all the good ideas on mods to my truck...
This entire thread shows all the steps on how to do it, you just have to read.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by XPerties
This entire thread shows all the steps on how to do it, you just have to read.
i have read the thread but i wasn't sure the steps do you need to put the light in the oven to warm it up so that you can pull it apart or do you do that some other time, i have tried to get it all in order i was just wondering though so i dont screw up something cause i missed it and so i dont have to buy new lights....
i guess i will just google it and see if i can find anything or youtube and maybe find a video of something like this, i just dont want to screw up my headlights...

Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
apparently you don't read.

I've written the process several times in this thread alone...as the OP of it all

and if you search f150online.com alone, you can find the process several times as well.

bake
pry
paint
seal
install

Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
apparently you don't read.

I've written the process several times in this thread alone...as the OP of it all

and if you search f150online.com alone, you can find the process several times as well.

bake
pry
paint
seal
install
ok well sorry i am new to this site and i tried to search it on f150online and couldn't find it... and like i said i just wanted to make sure that i didn'nt miss a step so thanks though and sorry...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 AM
This thread gives each step including other suggested ideas others posted including myself. If that isn't enough help using the search function with key words painting headlights gave me:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...eadlights.html

Old 08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by XPerties
This thread gives each step including other suggested ideas others posted including myself. If that isn't enough help using the search function with key words painting headlights gave me:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...eadlights.html
Thank you like i said i am new here and tried to search it but wasn't able to, i appreciate that link it helped me out alot and i am half way done doing my own headlights now, i had no idea that they would be so hard to pry apart or clean out all the remaining silicone that they used.... but thank you again for posting that link i appreciate it

Quick Reply: DIY Black Headlights Done...again lots of pics...not 56k friendly