2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine's Coming Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine's Coming Out

So I've got one of the first 2004 Super Crew F150's. I found an exhaust leak around the Right side Exhaust Manifold.

Two Bolts Broke off that hold the manifold to the Head. The Dealer ended up breaking 3 more Bolts off as well trying to remove them before he stopped.

The bolts are Totally Weak (cheap), and SEIZED into the Aluminum head.

NOW the Engine has to be taken out so they can get the bolts drilled out of the Head!

Apparently Ford has Recognized the problem and is now using a Stainless Steel Bolt. I just get penalized for being a Loyal Ford customer who Bought one of the first trucks off the lot.

I've already contacted Ford Customer Service. Talk about a run around. Basically I'm SOL. They wouldn't even provide me a contact of a Supervisor or higher up to speak with. I was 100% professional on the phone. I'm just trying to have them address their KNOWN issue that they've since addressed.

They still refuse to acknowlege the Spark Plug Issue! I guess I'm going to have them changed while the Engine is out, but they act like my truck is not effected by this issue, not even the TSB. How can that be?

Question: While the Engine's out, is there anything else I should have them do? What's the Deal with the Cam Phasers?

You guys know me, and usually 100% Pro Ford. But I think this is wrong.. At least pay the 60 dollar/hour charge to dig out the broken Studs..

Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That totally sucks!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 PM
let us know how you make out. i to seem to have the exhaust leak on the passenger side. diagnosed the last time i went in last month for inspection. cam phasers have something to do with timing advance i believe. it is a definate knocking sound usually heard next to a building or thru a drivethru sounding almost diesel like. keep us informed.
jim

Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks....I have they quoted you on the price?
I've been hearing what sounds like and exhaust leak on the right side....its not from the y-pipe back but I just haven't got around to checking further forward. I hope it's not a manifold bolt!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkstone05
I've been hearing what sounds like and exhaust leak on the right side....its not from the y-pipe back but I just haven't got around to checking further forward. I hope it's not a manifold bolt!!
I've been saying this for a long time now, after resurfacing and removing the manifolds 4 times (2x each side) I got another leak. The bolts break often and are weak, but you do NOT need to remove the engine to drill them out.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by dkstone05
They're saying around 1900 bucks! This includes new hardware, Manifolds, spark plugs, and I already had them do an Oil change before they even started the Exhaust leak job. This does NOT include time to remove the broken studs, and any time involved with any Spark plug issues.

Thing is, the Bolts were just broke off. I think the Manifold warped which caused the bolts to snap off.

I assume anyone just trying to put headers on or anything would Have to have broken some bolts off... At least on the earlier models that did not have the Stainless Head studs..

I wondered too about the engine having to come out. The problem is, it's So tight on those middle bolts with the suspension/Frame in the way. They're calling the Ford Technician in our local area. One to hear my complaint, and I hope to get a second opinion on how to do the job.

I thought it may be easier to just remove the Head, but it priced out to be more expensive that way...

My trucks basically Always sounded like a diesel since I got it. This sound was very obviously an exhaust leak, that I mostly could hear while driving up steep hills with the windows open... I should have just kept driving it.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could always put a bigger engine in It would be wise to change the spark plugs while the entire block is out.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 PM
you might want to throw some stage 8 bolts back in.

I've used them for years on all my supercharged motors.

Once you put the new bolts in remember to retorque them after a few heat cycles.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If they are putting in new factory manifolds, which probably cost a bunch, you might as well have them throw some long tubes on there. Or at least some shorties if they dont want to fab up new exhaust pipe for the cats.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Kinda off topic but dose Ford make a 5.4 crate motor for our trucks?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, I went to the dealer today at lunch and the Engine's sitting there on a Stand. The Mechanic is just as frustrated with this job as I am.

They contacted the outside Ford Rep and of course he said there's nothing they can do. Ford Customer Service already told me to kiss it. The Service Manager said the outside rep would call me if I wanted so I'm expecting a call from him soon.

I'm seriously considering a small claims Suit against them. If you build something wrong, Sell it, and then fix the issue you were doing wrong, you should be responsible for all those you screwed over until you caught your mistake.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the arguement that it has 100k on it, you've gotten your money's worth. If Ford is STILL not building a vehicle to last more than 100k miles then there's a SERIOUS problem here...

They haven't even STARTED to mess with the Spark plugs yet. I can't wait to see what issues they have there...

The question is, what do you buy? Chevy's just as bad (or worst). I'm driving a Toyota 4Runner now. It's a pc of crap. bounces all over the road, whistles when the windows are down, shifting is all over the place..

Just venting I guess... I'll report more soon.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, I just got an update from the shop. 5 of the 8 Spark plugs broke!

No big surprise there I guess...

Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Damn you just are not catching break on this. Hind site is 20/20 you should not have tried fixing it and just traded it in on something new probably would have lost a little more money but would have a new truck as long as funds were there!
I have a feeling that my truck will not make to as many miles as my old 89 ranger without having to fork over a lot more money for repairs. It had 200K+ and was still going strong...well actually the motor was replaced around 70k but that was my fault. I too have about had it with Ford seems...overall they made a good truck but mine has had too many problems (it was back at the dealer getting work done to at least 10-12 times in the first 2 years). I know some people have not had a single problem and its just the luck of the draw but when I fork over this kind money I expect something better but that's just the way it happens sometimes. I'm still bitter over how the spark plug issue is being handled which shows to me Ford doesn't care about repeat business and letting the individual dealers charge whatever they feel like to get the plugs out.

My goal is just to get 100k miles, which will be in about 4 years, without any major problems then I'm getting rid of it. Unless Ford can show me a better product my money is going to GM (I will never buy a Dodge or Yota truck).

Best of luck but it's not looking too promising for you

Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Kinda off topic but dose Ford make a 5.4 crate motor for our trucks?
You could drop this one in

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10261

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Carlsson3
WOW! For 18 Grand and no wiring harness or PCM I would think you could get that power with the engines we have for half the cost.

Quick Reply: Engine's Coming Out