2004 - 2008 F-150

Baby seat in a Screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby seat in a Screw

Hey all we just had our first baby.
I was wondering how you guys are attaching the babyseat/base in the rear seat. I would like to have mine attached in the middle of the seat using the latch method but it seems that Ford has made it so the babyseat sits right behind the driver or passenger.
I have a pending appointment with the local LATCH tech, but wanted to see how you all are doing it!
TIA
Heres a pic of the little guy!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the side behind the passenger seat. It makes sense to put them in the middle for safety but then you have to climb in with them to get them in the seat. You can always use the belt through the seat instead of the latch if you want. That's what we did before the latch system came out and it worked fine.

When I had my SuperCab, I put the rear facing seat in the middle because that is the only place it would fit without hitting the back of the front seats. I had the captain's chairs so it fit perfectly in the middle.

Congrats, by the way!!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off want to say congrats! Cute kid

And I have had to pick up my cousin and her baby, I attached it in the middle. It has the loop for it behind the seat and then I put a towel between the seat and the leather (to help not cut into the leather. Then I had her sit in the seat while I tightend the belt as tight as humanly possible and it never once shifted.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I have an infant seat for my 2 month old and a front facing convertible seat for my 2 1/2 year old in the back of my 06 Screw, one on each side fastened with the LATCH system and had it checked out by the County police here at their car seat installation inspection station. They were really thorough and went over the whole thing and recommend to go this way with the two seats. They might say different if it is only one seat but the LATCH system is supposed to be far superior to the seat belt when used properly so I would say put it on the passenger side.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I've put my boy in the rear middle and the rear passenger side. NEVER up front even though there is an OCS. The latch is nice if you'll never take the seat out but it seems my wife and I are always moving the seat from car to truck or vise cersa even though we have two car seats. Just use the belt but make sure after connecting the buckle that you pull the belt out ALL THE WAY to engage the ratchet. Then it will never go slack. As a matter of fact I actually sit in the car seat (ok, stop laughing, I'm not a big guy at 5'9, 145 lb.) to weigh it down and pull any slack to get a good solid non-moving fit.

Congrats! Both of my boys are my co-pilots and go EVERYWHERE with me. Especially the 2 year old.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!

I have a 2004 supercrew and I have rear middle latch isofix bars. (I have six isofix bars in my truck, two for each rear position) I have the base of the rear facing seat in the middle from the very beginning. Now he turned one and I have a front facing child seat latched down in the rear middle using the latch isofix bars.

Am I doing something wrong??? Why cant you put your seat in the middle of the back seat using the latch tethers on the isofix bars?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I did the same thing when I only had one child. He sat in the middle. It is a little more difficult gettign them in and out, but to protect them from both sides, it is worth it. Then I had my second one and put one behind each seat. Now I have a third one coming and my oldest is just about to get a booster seat so I will have three different car seat all lined up in my Screw. I just hope three seat will fit in the wifes Sploder.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 PM

I know it's tempting to put the kid in the center. but it's really alot safer to put him on the passenger side.
1. 9/10 times that the side that is parked against the curb. so less likely to have to worry about traffic
2. outer seats have latch. seatbelts are fine, but why not double the securing force? seatbelt + latch = safer baby
also, in case you might be new to the whole baby thing
1. clip the latch belts on and pull tight
2. sit in the seat (not kidding...park your butt or knee right in the middle of the seat)
3. pull those latch straps tight. you'll be amazed at how loose they were
4. run the should/lap belt through the carseat and buckle
5. pull the entire seatbelt out until it stops. this engages the anti-pull ratchet. make sure to remove all the slack.
when I belt down a baby seat, that thing doesn't move. I guess I'm at an advantage though. my 270 lbs can overcome any mere seat cushion.

you might want to get a good seat cover for the bottom of the carseat. in the pics below, you can see the Eddie Bauer one I have. It protects the seats from the kid. Both my vehicles have leather seats, and at $15-20, it's cheap protection...plus it came with a anti-kicking pad. now the rugrat can't ruin the back of the seat. Did I mention easy to clean?

Originally Posted by KC8FLB
I have a 2004 supercrew and I have rear middle latch isofix bars. (I have six isofix bars in my truck, two for each rear position)
you sure you have a 04+ F-150?

my truck only has 2 sets of latch bars. NOT 3

the little white button thingies are the latch bar indicators. only 2 latch spots in a SuperCrew (yeah I know the cover is dirty...daughter was eating a snack last time she was in the truck)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks everybody!
I've also found that using the LATCH method in the center position it's damn near impossible to get another passenger seat belted in. It's the same in our Jetta.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Suspended
Nice idea in protecting the seats, but I would go larger...To protect more of the seat at the top. Babies R Us have them. They look like this:

25 bucks

Old 08-14-2008, 11:59 PM

never seen those...and I would have bought them instead...oh well. already got 'em in another style

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I just LATCH it to the inner most points on the outside seats, we dont have any other passengers so seatbelts are not a problem. he likes the middle for leg room and i like the wife to be able to reach him. he is 2 yrs 3 months old and is 38 1/2 inchs tall so he needs the leg room. Your little one is cute, congrats

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Thumbs up

You guys are right, I only have two sets of isofix bars (Latch restraints) I use the inboard bars of each outside set to fasten the seat. I dont know what made me think I had three. Trust me, they are designed so that you can use the middle position with the inboard outer bars. I work in the organization that designs the seats and packages/places the latch restraints (isofix bars). Thesy must be placed close enough just for that purpose.

The rear center is the safest place to put a child. There is the least chance of crash intrusion in that spot. I have the step bars on my truck so it is no biggie to put Luke in the middle. Another big bonus is that if there is inclement weather, I can climb up in the rear of truck, close the door and then take the time to properly strap him in, without worrying about rain, snow, hail wind or whatever.

Here is a good article on the safest spot to mount your carseat (rear middle):
http://children.webmd.com/news/20080...babys-car-seat

Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tylus
I know it's tempting to put the kid in the center. but it's really alot safer to put him on the passenger side.
1. 9/10 times that the side that is parked against the curb. so less likely to have to worry about traffic
2. outer seats have latch. seatbelts are fine, but why not double the securing force? seatbelt + latch = safer baby
also, in case you might be new to the whole baby thing
1. clip the latch belts on and pull tight
2. sit in the seat (not kidding...park your butt or knee right in the middle of the seat)
3. pull those latch straps tight. you'll be amazed at how loose they were
4. run the should/lap belt through the carseat and buckle
5. pull the entire seatbelt out until it stops. this engages the anti-pull ratchet. make sure to remove all the slack.
when I belt down a baby seat, that thing doesn't move. I guess I'm at an advantage though. my 270 lbs can overcome any mere seat cushion.

you might want to get a good seat cover for the bottom of the carseat. in the pics below, you can see the Eddie Bauer one I have. It protects the seats from the kid. Both my vehicles have leather seats, and at $15-20, it's cheap protection...plus it came with a anti-kicking pad. now the rugrat can't ruin the back of the seat. Did I mention easy to clean?
[/IMG]
Good suggestions but I use the seat protector that Shine shows in his post. The only suggestions I would add is to remove the seats headrest when installing a front facing seat. The headrest puts our Britax at a severe angle, and removing lets it sit perfectly flush to the seat bottom. The last suggestion is choice of car seat. I too was concerned about putting the kid in the rear, passenger side seat, so we spent the extra cash and bought the Britax. A year ago, it was the only car seat with side impact body and head protection. Don't skimp here.
Congrats on the new one...our #2 is due next week!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM
hey I just went out and looked at my truck and I was right in the first place. I really do have six isofix latch bars. two for each of the three seat positions in the back. I have a new body style (P221) supercrew 2004. there are only those plastic indicator buttons above the larch bars on the outside two seats but the center rear seat has its own set of latch fix bars. go look at yours....

Quick Reply: Baby seat in a Screw